Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tv_viewer

How soon after Accutane can I use topicals?

I finished Accutane 10 days ago. I have one healing cyst and another popping up. Is it too soon to be using a drugstore acne cream? I haven't put anything on them so far.

My derm told me the reason why they discourage topical acne products while on accutane is because it exacerbates the dryness and irritation.

I think its up to you. If you feel your skin can handle the harshness of topicals, then go for it.

If not, I would wait until your skin returns to a semi normal state in terms of dryness.

The thing with accutane is that it slows the healing process of your skin. Acne creams usually have salicylic acid which may be bad for your skin since accutane does make it quite sensitive. Why don't you try Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask? You can find it at Sally's. It is sulfur so it really dries up the acne. Just spot treat it. This is just my opinion.

I used Tea Tree blended oil on cysts and such at the beginning of treatment and I never had any problems - it helped the cysts to go down quicker.

I wouldn't use specific acne cream, but then creams have always made my skin worse, rather than better.