Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
phoenixbleu

Emotional and psychological effects of acne

I come to this section of acne.org's forum alot. Reading how people feel, most of the time feeling pity for them. I might get criticized for saying this but I believe many of the emotional and psychological effects are self imposed.

I've seen people with worst life stories under the sun. Acne.org's forum members each posses a sh*t load of talent. Many of them just need to get pass their insecurities and use that talent. I see members in here that can be the next president of their country, great movie stars, singers and be the best dermatologist. Im sorry to say this but I see a few members talent go to waste. You guys don't need words of encouragement to get up in the morning and face a new day, you know why? because you lived to see another day that's the encouragement.

Funny thing is you would ask a few people on here are you happy with yourself. With a flash they would say Hell Yea! So why you despise your skin, the sh*t is the largest living organ on your body and you hate it. My friend you don't hate you skin you hate yourself.

plz comment

It can be self imposed... but how do you break that imposition? Psychological and emotional distress can be kick started by yourself but once they get going it sure doesn't seem that way.

No, it is not 'self-imposed.' Why do I keep hearing this BS on this site? Social being determines social consciousness. Reality is objective in nature. You can't control your pyschological state any more than you can close your eyes and float off the ground like a soap bubble.

It most definitely is a lot of the time, I will agree with you. I've had acne most of my life, thankfully I'm clear now thanks to accutane, but I never let it have control of my life. That's what frustrates me here too. I get feeling down about it every now and again, but if you let how your face (or body) looks, then you're just letting acne win.

No, it is not 'self-imposed.' Why do I keep hearing this BS on this site? Social being determines social consciousness. Reality is objective in nature. You can't control your pyschological state any more than you can close your eyes and float off the ground like a soap bubble.

hahahahhahah thats exactly what i was thinking. wow, "self imposed" hahaha

No way in hell this is self imposed.

There is no way around the pain and the humiliation.

and if you feel bad about acne PRAY to God you dont get scars.

because its when you really begin to understand the feeling of desperation and fustration.

But on a positive note, the louisville bats won yesterday. lol.

Not really. I think many people, myself included, are having bad experiences because of acne and what they're going through is a reaction to this. It doesn't mean the posters here won't go on to do great things and live happy lives.

I guess I was not clear when I meant self imposed. Notice how some people do not let other people comments hurt them and ignore it completely. Some do feel hurt about it, but do they let it affect their emotional or psychological state.

Let's take Adam Lambert for example. He does not have the best skin in the world, but do you see him complaining, hiding himself, his talent from the world. Nope he is front and center kissing guys on stage. See where I am coming from?; because I understand the point of view you guys are making. Further more, I'm not saying that the posters here will never amount to anything, Some of you interpreted my post differently, so what does that say about you?. See it goes right back to my post topic. Self imposed or not!?. Some people here believe it has and some do not, and that's totally fine. But if you look closely most of the time we are quick to act and judge others the same way others quick to act and judge us.

Hope every one is having a good day!!!

People always tell me it's my fault that I'm miserable. I don't want to have low esteem. I may never clear my skin but I want to get on with my life. I force myself to go outside and be social and you know what? I still have super low self esteem.

I think it is self imposed to an extent.

Probably everyone already had insecurities but the acne just makes them 10x worse.

It can be another form of insecurity.

When I've had a major breakout, I feel people will not respect or hear me as much as if I had clear skin. I almost feel as if I was naked & exposed infront of people.

Of course this is pure BS, as people still listen and respect me the same as if I did have a clear skin moment.

It is the confidence you are projecting from within that matters.

It was self imposed in my case. No one ever mocked me, no one ever name-called me, no one treated me like a disease ridden manifestation. Sure I got some stares but I don't know if it was because of my acne or if I was just paranoid. The summer after graduating from high school and before leaving off to college I told myself that my depression was my own fault. The way I saw it I was about to get a second chance at life and decided to live it in a happier state. I pretty much overthrew it in a few months. I still need to work on my eye contact (getting there) but that's a problem I have had since I was a child... I have a speech in front of 60 people next week and I'm not even nervous. If I was still in the state I was in last year, I would have probably fainted. or at least dropped the class.

It may be different for people with severe acne but I do believe that it is MOSTLY self imposed. Like the girl who looks like a pole yet still claims she's fat. Yes, I have met people like this and I thought to myself: Is this what I'm like?