Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I just bought some curry from whole foods and was wondering if it is good for acne. It has a lot of spices and veggies (onions, garlic, etc.) that are beneficial for acne and it smells pretty good so I want to try it. I am also on antibiotics so I was told to eat as many spices as possible to keep off yeast overgrowth. Please let me know. Thanks.

Curry powder generally has some powerfully healthy spices and herbs in it. And curries are certainly conducive to loading up on good veggies such as onions, broccoli etc. But like all things, it comes down to how the overall dish is prepared. It sounds like you have a pre-made curry dish, and for all you know it could be made with soybean oil, too much salt, and other suspicious ingredients. (Though if it's Whole Foods it's probably mostly legit).

If you prepare a curry at home with good stuff, it is probably one of the healthiest things you could ever eat. Also note that there are many many different curry preparations... you got the dry curry rubs, Indian curries, Thai curries that use coconut milk etc. Thai green curry is my personal favorite.

I actually have the Thai green curry. And it doesn't have any bad ingredients. No soy or anything. It's got sea salt. Not too much sodium. About 150-200 mg of sodium per serving. It's organic. It has coconut milk, cumin, turmeric, chili powder, onions, garlic. It seems pretty good. Plus I just tried it and it tastes amazing.

Good stuff! You can buy jars or cans of Thai curry paste, then all you need is some coconut milk, and any veggies and meat of your choice! You could make your own paste, but it's definitely a culinary challenge to make it from scratch!

Good stuff! You can buy jars or cans of Thai curry paste, then all you need is some coconut milk, and any veggies and meat of your choice! You could make your own paste, but it's definitely a culinary challenge to make it from scratch!

It also comes in smaller envelopes if you aren't sure you are going to use it up.

Try lots of onions and garlic, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, peas, spinach... Keep frozen peas and spinach on hand for the purpose. All you do is saute them and add the sauce. Put the hard things first, softer things like peas, cauliflower near the end, spinach once everything is done.

This would qualify as a super nutrient dense meal.

Curries contain turmeric, which in turn contains an active compound called curcumin. In vitro studies suggest that this compound has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, among others. When we're talking acne, we're talking about inflammation to a degree; as such, curry would seem to improve the condition rather than make it worse.

Check this out for more information on turmeric (found in curry): http://www.turmeric.co.in/turmeric_ayurvedic_use.htm

Good luck.

Edited by Cleric.x7

What about restaurant (not takeaway) curries? Do they usually add anything that is bad for the skin? The place I usually get mine from told me they dont add sugar to their food so thats good, but how different is a restaurant curry compared to a home made curry?