Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vietforlife!

My severe situation,please help (pics included)

Hi, im a new member in need of desperate aid!

Just a brief info about me:

Name:Alan

Nash':Vietnamese

Hobbies and interests:Computers(the hardware side :D ),call of duty 6 :D,going out and socializing(used to!), cars, loves sketching, loves going to the gym and loves friends and family. :D

My skin condition: Very Oily, light tanned skin, sensitive skin. I found out its hereditry aswell :o

Also have back and chest acne :C

Ive been suffering acne since 15, those being moderate. I went to my GP and he offered me tretracycline (i fgot the dose, its been too long), from what i remember it helped me clear up abit. Eventually the positive effect didnt last long. It came back!

Just a note im trying to remember back from when i first had acne, so bare with me!

Now i had acne on the jawline and on the chin back then, nothing much to me really, it didnt have much affect on my self-esteem (i am strong! C: )After my journey on tetracycline, my mum advised me to go on something more holistic, like SUPPLEMENTS ! So i went to woolworths (australia's #1 supermarket C:) and went in search for some supplements which may aid me and my acne. So i bought cod liver oil (Brand "Cenovis") hoping it would help. Now from what i remember this was back in late spring leading into summer. After a weeks use of the cod liver oil i noticed some minor improvements of my complexion and some zits ( i had like 4 minor zits around my face) and i was happy with it, my skin was improving!

Now my sister advised me to go to the derm to go on accutane to prevent any more to come up and to obviously prevent ugly scarring. i said no because of the potential side effects i heard it had on people. :S

After my use of cod liver oil i moved onto Cenovis Liver flush, hoping it would restore my damaged liver during my tetra process. It was the beggining of summer and after a weeks use of the supplement, it gradually improved. i had no zits whatsoever, all i had left was the stubborn red marks from the zits :C . I was a happy kid, and this was towards the end of my year 1o year, so my skin was good for the long summer holidays C: . After the summer holidays the 2010 year kicked in. My new years resolution was to be pimple free and to do good in school. I came back to school feeling like a normal guy, had the upmost confidence and i was making even more new friends. It was until the end of summer season when things didnt really go my way. I had a masssssiveeee zit in the middle of my nose! D: . I could not exaggerate much more, it was so ginormous! My mum did whatever she could to get rid of it. She eventually got a needle and popped it open, then shoved some ginger onto it. After an embarrasing 3 weeks it eventually subsided, leaving me with a massive red mark on my nose :( . I was hoping no more would come up. My skin was still oily back then so i though a supplement of zinc would help. It apparently helped a little, nothing much though, still kinda oily. Then the cold autumn season kicked in. That was the start of my terror. The cold weather had dried up my skin, giving no humidity :C, i began to get massive cysts on my cheeks and some acne on my back and chest (I DONT KNOW WHY!). I wanted to kick someone :C. I used ever since the start of acne "Neutrogena clean and clear for oily skin gentle cleanser".

This was a start to the end of my social life, when some more cysts jumped onto my cheeks and forehead. i used clearasil 5% BP pimple cream on the affected areas and it apparently gave me MORE acne!. This time i dont think theyre the usual cysts, but nodules! This was certainly the end of my social life. i have nodules running all over my cheek, jawline neck and forehead, and still having bacne and chest acne. From then on i stayed away from junk food, i only ate the healthy stuff. I would wake up every morning hoping it would be better, but it wasnt. i went to school with my confidence brought way down. everyone would look at me in a wierd way, girls would give an awkward look at me. i hated it.

Now im deciding to go to the derm and get it fixed up, but first off i went to the doctors yesterday. He was a good doctor, i could tell by the vast amount of stuff he knew about acne. He classifed my face as being the most severe. :o . i was astonished and sad :C. He deeply recommended me to go to the derm ASAP. In the meantime he put me on minomycin and 2 topicals 1.epiduo 2.5% Gp/0.1% adapalene ( Which would go on after the prescribed cetaphil acne cleanser after sunset) 2. Retreive cream Tretinoin 0.05% (which would go on before sleep).

I am definitely thinking of going on 'tane now, but also anxious bout its side effects it may have on me. I dont wanna have joint pains ( I love gym!).

The reason why im posting this up is to ask for help for my situation.

Here are some pics of my present situation ( i have a realll crappy self-esteem atm :C)

Like the doctor said, i have severe acne!

PLZZZ help me , should i just go on 'tane or are there any other alternatives. I would really like an all natural/holistic approach if possible.

xbycsk.jpg

j818ol.jpg

2r71noz.jpg

mrpt0z.jpg

My Products atm:

Cetaphil acne prone wash

Epiduo 2.5% BP/0.01% adapalene

Retreive Cream Tretinoin 0.05%

Olay complete defence daily UV moisturising lotion SPF 30+ Sensitive skin.

Edited by vietforlife!

The annoying part about acne products is that it's all trial and error. What works for one person may be horrible for another. It can take years to figure out the perfect routine to match your skin and it's super, super frustrating.

Looking at your pictures, I would definitely suggest Accutane. I had very similar acne and I'm practically all cleared up now. I was terrified of Accutane and my family was begging me to not go on it because of the risks. It IS a serious medication but it's also almost always effective. I started off thinking I was going to really suffer for 5 months but I've been doing great. I only have VERY minor side effects. None of which stop me from everyday life!

It's up to you! With your type of acne I wouldn't really recommend going entirely holistic. I've tried it before and, personally, I seem to find that it's best to be balanced between natural products and chemicals. Both ways can be extremely positive or negative. Everyone is different! ;)

I was probably thinking about taking accutane anyway, i'm a strong person :)

I might as well get it over and done with :/

Despite that i just saw a video on youtube about a poor guy having an allergic reaction to accutane, its real scary and i feel deepy sorry for him. :/

i just hope i wont have any allergic reaction to it :(

Just out of curiuosity, what do you go through when you see a derm? Do they do like a body assessment or something like that? or like just ask you questions?

With your type of acne, I'm almost positive you would clear up perfectly on Accutane! ;)

I know it's pretty terrifying and some people really do have some bad experiences (Like that guy on Youtube. I saw it too. Very sad!) but most of the people are okay! If you're a strong person then it's worth a shot for sure!

When you talk to a derm about Accutane they just pretty much go over the benefits and risks with you and determine if you need it or not. They'll realize that you've tried soooo many other products that haven't worked. They look at your acne and basically just ask you questions. For guys it's pretty easy to get on the medication. They'll ask things like your weight (for the dosage). After that you have to get your blood drawn once a month just to check that you're still healthy. It's not that scary after the first month. :)

Accutane that!

I barely had any sideeffects either besides dryness. For my 5monthish course i only had joint problems for like a total of 3 days, and this was with lifting as well. At the derm they'll probably want to know your history of drugs you've taken. I hadnt even taken an antibiotic before accutane but i knew i didnt want to bother with them, so i just lied to my derm lol. He ended up making me take an antibiotic to help with the potential IB though, which mine wasnt that bad all either. I think australia is more relaxed on tane, i barely had to see my derm, which is good because i had co-pay. I cleared up pretty fast so at my third appointment which was like 3months in, he wrote out the script for the remaining 2+months and he said i dont need to see him again. I ended up going back when i finished anyway since i freaked out about a pimple, which died down in one day so when i turned up i had basically nothing...and wasted my money...Also in total i only need 3 bloods tests, beginning, 1month in, and 1month post tane. I'm currently approaching 2months post tane and i've only gotten a few very tiny spots that dry up in like 1day. If it stays like this i'll be very happy.

Edited by brandish

Thank you guys for your support and feedback!

You are certainly making me NOT paranoid, which is good :)

The only thing i have to deal with is school next week :/ so not looking forward to that,im going to book the derm tomorow asap. :/

Is it ok if i can take supplements alongside with 'tane, will it make joint pains better? :o (if i do get that side-effect, i dearly love gym :C )

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but don't get your hopes up too much. My acne was/still is similar to yours, and I was on accutane TWICE... it didn't do a damn thing.

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but don't get your hopes up too much. My acne was/still is similar to yours, and I was on accutane TWICE... it didn't do a damn thing.

oh dayum!

How is it now? :o

Hi Alan. You sound really depressed about this. I know how you feel as I was going through the same. My mum bought me lots of acne books and I have also seen lots of doctors and tried lots of medication. My mum finally found someone to help me. Her name is Elaine Mummery and she has a clinic in Scotland. I spoke with her on the telephone and she keeps in touch with me using email. She put together a skincare plan for me and my skin is so much better. It may be worth thinking about as she is against acne drugs and says that acne can be cured through diet. It is certainly working for me. Hope this helps Ix

Hi, im a new member in need of desperate aid!

Just a brief info about me:

Name:Alan

Nash':Vietnamese

Hobbies and interests:Computers(the hardware side :D ),call of duty 6 :D,going out and socializing(used to!), cars, loves sketching, loves going to the gym and loves friends and family. :D

My skin condition: Very Oily, light tanned skin, sensitive skin. I found out its hereditry aswell :o

Also have back and chest acne :C

Ive been suffering acne since 15, those being moderate. I went to my GP and he offered me tretracycline (i fgot the dose, its been too long), from what i remember it helped me clear up abit. Eventually the positive effect didnt last long. It came back!

Just a note im trying to remember back from when i first had acne, so bare with me!

Now i had acne on the jawline and on the chin back then, nothing much to me really, it didnt have much affect on my self-esteem (i am strong! C: )After my journey on tetracycline, my mum advised me to go on something more holistic, like SUPPLEMENTS ! So i went to woolworths (australia's #1 supermarket C:) and went in search for some supplements which may aid me and my acne. So i bought cod liver oil (Brand "Cenovis") hoping it would help. Now from what i remember this was back in late spring leading into summer. After a weeks use of the cod liver oil i noticed some minor improvements of my complexion and some zits ( i had like 4 minor zits around my face) and i was happy with it, my skin was improving!

Now my sister advised me to go to the derm to go on accutane to prevent any more to come up and to obviously prevent ugly scarring. i said no because of the potential side effects i heard it had on people. :S

After my use of cod liver oil i moved onto Cenovis Liver flush, hoping it would restore my damaged liver during my tetra process. It was the beggining of summer and after a weeks use of the supplement, it gradually improved. i had no zits whatsoever, all i had left was the stubborn red marks from the zits :C . I was a happy kid, and this was towards the end of my year 1o year, so my skin was good for the long summer holidays C: . After the summer holidays the 2010 year kicked in. My new years resolution was to be pimple free and to do good in school. I came back to school feeling like a normal guy, had the upmost confidence and i was making even more new friends. It was until the end of summer season when things didnt really go my way. I had a masssssiveeee zit in the middle of my nose! D: . I could not exaggerate much more, it was so ginormous! My mum did whatever she could to get rid of it. She eventually got a needle and popped it open, then shoved some ginger onto it. After an embarrasing 3 weeks it eventually subsided, leaving me with a massive red mark on my nose :( . I was hoping no more would come up. My skin was still oily back then so i though a supplement of zinc would help. It apparently helped a little, nothing much though, still kinda oily. Then the cold autumn season kicked in. That was the start of my terror. The cold weather had dried up my skin, giving no humidity :C, i began to get massive cysts on my cheeks and some acne on my back and chest (I DONT KNOW WHY!). I wanted to kick someone :C. I used ever since the start of acne "Neutrogena clean and clear for oily skin gentle cleanser".

This was a start to the end of my social life, when some more cysts jumped onto my cheeks and forehead. i used clearasil 5% BP pimple cream on the affected areas and it apparently gave me MORE acne!. This time i dont think theyre the usual cysts, but nodules! This was certainly the end of my social life. i have nodules running all over my cheek, jawline neck and forehead, and still having bacne and chest acne. From then on i stayed away from junk food, i only ate the healthy stuff. I would wake up every morning hoping it would be better, but it wasnt. i went to school with my confidence brought way down. everyone would look at me in a wierd way, girls would give an awkward look at me. i hated it.

Now im deciding to go to the derm and get it fixed up, but first off i went to the doctors yesterday. He was a good doctor, i could tell by the vast amount of stuff he knew about acne. He classifed my face as being the most severe. :o . i was astonished and sad :C. He deeply recommended me to go to the derm ASAP. In the meantime he put me on minomycin and 2 topicals 1.epiduo 2.5% Gp/0.1% adapalene ( Which would go on after the prescribed cetaphil acne cleanser after sunset) 2. Retreive cream Tretinoin 0.05% (which would go on before sleep).

I am definitely thinking of going on 'tane now, but also anxious bout its side effects it may have on me. I dont wanna have joint pains ( I love gym!).

The reason why im posting this up is to ask for help for my situation.

Here are some pics of my present situation ( i have a realll crappy self-esteem atm :C)

Like the doctor said, i have severe acne!

PLZZZ help me , should i just go on 'tane or are there any other alternatives. I would really like an all natural/holistic approach if possible.

xbycsk.jpg

j818ol.jpg

2r71noz.jpg

mrpt0z.jpg

My Products atm:

Cetaphil acne prone wash

Epiduo 2.5% BP/0.01% adapalene

Retreive Cream Tretinoin 0.05%

Olay complete defence daily UV moisturising lotion SPF 30+ Sensitive skin.

Go to your local health store and buy ORANIC RAW honey. (Sorry for the yelling, but make sure it's organic and raw)

Stop clogging your face with chemicals. It took me 4 months of products before I realized my skin likes me so much more when I stop harassing it.

The only product I use is the honey, once, sometimes twice a day I rub a bit on my oily areas. Use it in teh shower, that way it easily washes off. I was the same way, dry as hell skin in the winter, way oily in the summer. Since using the honey, about 3 weeks, I've noticed my skin oil factor is at an all time low, as in zero "oilyness."(Not a word, hehe)

Do yourself a favor and start watching what you put into your body. The sooner you start dieting correctly the sooner you will be acne free. "Correctly" is a very loose term, cuz everyone is different. Go get a blood test, or go to a natural health chiropractor and get an allergy test.

This will quickly help you decide what foods to eliminate.

A lot of people are scared of diet change cuz 'I LIKE WHAT I EAT!'

You might, but your body doesn't. Acne is your bodies way of saying, "Don't put the shit in me you douche."(Sorry for language, just trying to make a point)

Your 16, so your acne could be mostly hormone related. But what triggers these hormones is food.

As soon as I stopped eating gluten, all my back acne went away.(In two weeks, every spot was gone. I wish my face healed that quick :]) Once I started eating gluten again, it all came back.

The big ones to avoid are dairy, gluten, and fast-food of any sort.

You can do this Alan! Acne is jus like losing wait, takes time and commitment!

Any questions, feel free to pm me.

- Rory Jay

hey, i am unable to look at your pics but i have been on accutane-3 separate times. that's how bad my acne was but it did help, a lot!!! if you feel nothing else will work, go for it but be prepared that your acne may come back. maybe not right away like mine, but it came back and lately with a vengeance. i started looking at a holistic approach since i lost my job and have no medical beneifts. i have talked to herbalists etc and came up with this plan and so far, it's doing GREAT!!! i wanted to share....

take B5 (pantothenic acid) daily. u have to take a lot in the beginning, about 10-15 grams per day so get the 1 gram tabs. go online....i use vitacost.com, lucky vitamin.com, etc. i prefer the capsules over the tabs. u have to stay on this regimen for about 30 days or MORE to see results. while taking the B5, take evening primrose with it, 1300mg gel caps. so this is my regimen:

morning-2 5oomg B5, 1 primrose, wash face with granpa's sulfur soap, apply acne drying product (i use tazorac from last dr's appt but i also use any product with salicylic acid or benzyl peroxide)

lunch-take 2 500mg b5

3-5:00-take 2 500mg B5 and 1 primrose, wash face with sulfur soap

9:00 or so, take 2 500mg B5 and 1 primrose, wash face with sulfur saoap and apply dryiing product.

i use to take 10 grams or more per day but now can drop back to 3-5 grams/day. for dark marks, i apply ambi fade cream in morning and at night b4 bed. takes diligence but i get results. hope this helps!!! oh, i get cystic acne-no white or black heads but huge, red, cysts that hurt like HELL.

As for your question about supplements on Accutane, yes, you can take them. Just don't take any supplements with Vitamin A in them since Accutane is basically a derivative of Vitamin A and too much could harm your body.

'Milky' is definately right.... change of diet cured my cystic adult acne in two weeks.

I had suffered through Accutane treatment at 18, it was hell but the acne went away for 3-4 years.

I got depressed a lot after that and had other health problems occur which I never had before.

But I had clear skin!

Then it came back with vengance, and still as a 30yr old I hadn't found anything which made a PERMANENT cure until I saw an Ayurvedic practitioner (pretty much an Indian version of naturopath)

who got me to stop eating red meat, dairy and gluten (I lived on bread so this was hard at the start).

It was almost immediate. So if you are ultra strict for say, a month or two, you will see it's worth it. I became lazy and have relapses now and then, but it's fine, as long as I don't regularly eat the stuff.

I am finally able to look at myself in photos without cringing, and I don't need to worry about side affects of drugs, or constantly washing my face. Just soap and water for me now.

PLEASE try it

I want everyone to try it, you don't have to live in hell for as long as I did

'Milky' is definately right.... change of diet cured my cystic adult acne in two weeks.

I had suffered through Accutane treatment at 18, it was hell but the acne went away for 3-4 years.

I got depressed a lot after that and had other health problems occur which I never had before.

But I had clear skin!

Then it came back with vengance, and still as a 30yr old I hadn't found anything which made a PERMANENT cure until I saw an Ayurvedic practitioner (pretty much an Indian version of naturopath)

who got me to stop eating red meat, dairy and gluten (I lived on bread so this was hard at the start).

It was almost immediate. So if you are ultra strict for say, a month or two, you will see it's worth it. I became lazy and have relapses now and then, but it's fine, as long as I don't regularly eat the stuff.

I am finally able to look at myself in photos without cringing, and I don't need to worry about side affects of drugs, or constantly washing my face. Just soap and water for me now.

PLEASE try it

I want everyone to try it, you don't have to live in hell for as long as I did

im def a strong believer food and acne are related. i cut out diary a few months ago. im suree if i cut out meat and gluten, theres be even more of a benefit. how do you survive though? i imagine you being a very pale, sickly, undernourished person after cutting out all those critical food groups. :(

Edited by sydney_fellow

My personal advice is figure out YOUR skin. Like I said, what one person does may not work for another. You know your face better than anyone else. I also believe that everything should be balanced and in moderation. Don't go crazy with one regimen and then crazy with another.

I'm on Accutane and for me, it saved my face. However, I also exercise, eat well (I know what foods make me breakout) and know what topical products fit well with my skin. Putting everything together is my "recipe for success".

listen to your mother before and go holistic. eat healthy. cut out all dairy and meat and eggs, vegan-like. and cut out processed shit and see if you notice a difference.

thanks for all the tips and feedback guys!

I just skipped school today, just didnt feel like going :/

So my mum reminded me to book the derm and my earliest appointment is in AUGUST! WTF!

The only thing that can help now is the akamin antibiotics and all your advice. I stopped eating any form of fried or junky food on saturday (the day i went doctors). i just really hate the amount of red marks on my face (who doesnt...)

anyways guys ill give all your advice a try!

As for 'milky' , im too scared to NOT put any chemicals on it so far, ive become so paranoid of major breakouts :(

Acutane is def the play here man. Mine was not even close to as harsh as yours is. It really isnt that bad. I took 40 mg once a day and I had like no side effects besides skin blotches, it is really not that bad don't get freaked out too easily. Just think of how bomb your face will be after it is all said and done. Much respect man.

Acutane is def the play here man. Mine was not even close to as harsh as yours is. It really isnt that bad. I took 40 mg once a day and I had like no side effects besides skin blotches, it is really not that bad don't get freaked out too easily. Just think of how bomb your face will be after it is all said and done. Much respect man.

Thanks mate... But its gonna be 2months till thats gonna happen :(

We have a few aloe vera plants at the back and my mum wont let me use it on my face. she goes just use the creams the doctor gave me. But she goes if i really want it she'll make it into a juice using a blender, but ill have to endure the harsh bitterness of it.