Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
annmarie

disadvantage of subscision

Subscision is one available option for atrophic scars. On the downside, I have experienced an increase of collagen in the healthy tissue surrounding the scar post procedure. This has occured because the treated area is injected with local anesthetic and so swells, (enormously, have a look if possible) and even though the surgeon marks the scar prior, it is actually quite difficult to recognize how the scar was - deep, sharp edge etc.

You can blame the surgeon, get him to do one at a time or whatever you think will help but having seen my scars pre the actual subscision but after local - I agree its incredibly difficult. As a matter of fact, I think all people with acne scars should be given an endless supply of free local on hand to inject as necessary because it actually plumps out the scar amazingly until a more permanent cure is found.

I even had - yes true - subscision without local and it was better. But in the end I opted for excisions. When someone said excision is just swapping a scar for a scar it was last on my list. But now that I've had it done I realised its not quite swapping a scar for a scar - its more about swapping a disaster for a beautiful smaller flush scar. My plastic surgeon even does them again if I dont like it the first and yes, second time round. Some of the excisions I required were directly related to the fact that the healthy tissue surrounding the original atrophic scar was raised quite significantly. So subscision does actually work but then I couldn't handle the possibility of extra raised flesh - it was like going from one extreme to the other - depressed to raised scaring. Hope this helps.

How long ago was your procedure? The only thing I had were lumps at the spots which seem to go away after several months

How long ago was your procedure? The only thing I had were lumps at the spots which seem to go away after several months

The many subscisions I had were done over 24 months ago now and some of them worked out quite well. Unfortunately the development of extra collagen in the healthy tissue around the original scar was a possible side effect of the procedure itself as I said - due to the swelling of the local. At that point its hard to know where the actual bottom of the scar is to do the subscision. I still think its an option for atrophic scars. Tca and excisions gave me the best results.

I don't think the swelling of normal skin is from the local. That would go away after the local wears off. I think maybe your md couldn't see the scar so did the general area, which raised collagen in the surrounding area. JMO.

Did it hurt badly w/o local? I hate local if it's like the type the dentist uses. I would rather not have it.

I dont think I explained it too well so I will try again. The scar is marked for subscision and then you get local. The area swells quite alot (from the local) and then it is difficult to perform the subscion because you can no longer see what the scar exactly looked like. Thats why I got raised skin tissue in the healthy area post procedure because it produced the desired effect of new collagen formation -but not just in the scar - it was unfortunately and unintentionally also around the edge of the scar because the surgeon could not tell when the whole area was swollen from local. I know the area is marked prior to the procedure but I've seen it myself and the area is so swollen you cannot tell how deep the scar was - its like almost impossible and if you get the edges wrong a little and lets face it subscision is a rough type of procedure - then thats how I ended up with more collagen than I needed in the wrong place. Hope this makes it easier to understand what I meant.

massage the areas...lmao don't listen to that person.

Your surgeon probably did not perform your subcision as well as he could have.

Now I am by no means an expert surgeon so take what I say with a grain of salt...however a doctor skilled in subcision should still be able to tell about the target area...but yes it probably is more challenging after he numbs the area.

I had subcision done and after the subcision The skin in the scar did raise...and it even looked better then right next to the scar I had what appeared to be a line-like scar that was really due to excess collagen that made the skin uneven.

Now I am by no means an expert surgeon so take what I say with a grain of salt...however a doctor skilled in subcision should still be able to tell about the target area...but yes it probably is more challenging after he numbs the area.

I had subcision done and after the subcision The skin in the scar did raise...and it even looked better then right next to the scar I had what appeared to be a line-like scar that was really due to excess collagen that made the skin uneven.

really? that was something i've heard from several derms/surgeons, not something i pulled out of my ass and yes i did have to ask because i has residual lumps after subcision

the last thing i want to do is provide false info

Edited by AcnePwns

annmarie, I would have changed doctors. I've had subcision as well and my doc gave me local near my scars but not in them. It seems to me he might have been trying to swindle you by basically raising the scar and not actually fixing the problem. After all, alot of docs will try to just mask the problem rather than solving it completely, they make more money this way.

To those looking at subcision as a treatment, I say find a good doc and ask questions before hand to make sure they know what they're doing and have had lots of experience with subcision in the past. Its a treatment that while you can't get 100% improvement, you'll definitley get enough to not have to worry about your scars anymore. I had pretty bad rolling scars and everytime I caught that certain light they just looked horrible but now its barely noticeable which is crazy, seeing as how deep they were before hand. I'd say I probably had a 70-80% improvement over 2 seperate subcision treatments.

Edited by kidrock29520

AcnePwns,

How often are you supposed to massage after subcision?

Not sure... I'm guessing everyday for 10-15 minutes or so

are you having lumps right now from subcision? if so how long ago did you have subcision done? it usually subsides within a few months but sometimes it doesnt

Edited by AcnePwns

Kid,

When did you have your subcision? Who was your MD?

It was a few weeks ago, like mid may. My doctor was David Spencer out of Winston-Salem, NC. What initially got me to choose him was the price. He was charging 550 for any scar on my faced that needed subcising plus a chemical peel.

The other place I was looking at was trying to charge 250 per half dollar sized area, so I would have ended up paying alot seeing as in how my scars were spaced apart. I was kinda skeptical thinking he might not be a good doc if he's charging so little, but he turned out to be awesome and definitley a whole lot more friendlier and knowledgeable than other PS/Derms i've been to.

Kid,

It was a few weeks ago, like mid may. My doctor was David Spencer out of Winston-Salem, NC. What initially got me to choose him was the price. He was charging 550 for any scar on my faced that needed subcising plus a chemical peel.

The other place I was looking at was trying to charge 250 per half dollar sized area, so I would have ended up paying alot seeing as in how my scars were spaced apart. I was kinda skeptical thinking he might not be a good doc if he's charging so little, but he turned out to be awesome and definitley a whole lot more friendlier and knowledgeable than other PS/Derms i've been to.

That's ridiculous. I've heard most charge one amount for all your scars. Of course they may charge more if you have many to do, but I never heard it charged per sq. inch. I haven't had my consult yet, but I really hope hat's not how they do it where i go. I may call and ask them, because that would be a deal breaker for me.

Kid,

That's ridiculous. I've heard most charge one amount for all your scars. Of course they may charge more if you have many to do, but I never heard it charged per sq. inch. I haven't had my consult yet, but I really hope hat's not how they do it where i go. I may call and ask them, because that would be a deal breaker for me.

I mean don't get me wrong, i'd gladly pay that much if the doc was like a leader in subcision or something but when I called the place to ask them if they performed subcision, the secretary didn't even know what I was talking about. So that basically told me that practice has little experience in that area and doesen't perform subcision's frequently enough for the secretary's to even know what it is.

Edited by kidrock29520

My plastic surgeon told me to massage the subcision lumps as well. It is not totally unheard of.

Kid,

I agree. In my experience, the doctor charged me one set price for both cheeks.

AcnePwns,

How often are you supposed to massage after subcision?

My doctor told me about 5-6 times a day for 5 minutes at a time. You push down to the bone.

Maybe someone going for a lot of subcision can be put under instead of using the local anes. therefore not risking depress scars to be indistinguishable by swelling.