Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SeenDrella

Is AHA safe to use every night?

I've been on the regimen for about 3 months now. I started using AHA after being on BP for two months. Although I was not completely clear yet, I added the AHA in hope to speed up the process. I started with a small amount of AHA after BP every night. Now I'm using one finger line of AHA every night. I've been doing research online on over exfoliating the skin, and AHA is for exfoliating. It says that over exfoliating is not good for the skin. So here are my questions:

Am I overly using the AHA? If so, how often should I use AHA? Am I using too much?

Some people are just fine with using it every night. I generally suggest starting out by using the AHA 2-3 times a week, and then increasing how often you use it if your skin handles it well.

If you're already using it every night, and your skin is fine with it, then there's no problem. I wouldn't recommend using it more than once daily, though. And if you feel like you're overdoing it, just cut back a little. Maybe use it every other day.

Back when I was using the AHA, I was using it every night for a while, but then I cut back to using it a few times a week, and to me, it seemed like that worked even better for my skin. Every night might be just fine for you, though. : )

Using AHA every night seems to have no problem for me, but my concern is the long-term effect of over exfoliating. I am almost completely clear with just hyperpigmentation mostly. I plan to do what you had suggested, to cut back on AHA to 3 times a week instead of every night. Thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate it.

I'm really freaking out :(. I've been using AHA 8% every night ( for about 5 weeks now) and drying lotion Mario Badescu (for about 4 weeks now) but my skin isn't noticeably better. Some of my friends say my skin is even worse than before (the last time they saw me was 2 months ago). Is it because of the AHA or drying lotion?

What is worse about it?

The ingredients on that drying lotion look horrendous. I know some people like it here, but I can't imagine why. I'd go into detail, but I'm assuming it's working for you as a spot treatment... otherwise you wouldn't have continued to use it.

If you're not using it as a spot treatment, i.e. using it all over your face, please STOP.

Guest Timehealsall

you could try BP has as pot treatment instead of that lotion.

Regarding the aha, from what i have read on these forums, 2-3 times a week is the consensus..

From what I understand, Dan uses the AHA every night, but I could be mistaken. I agree with c'est la vigne: starting out slowly is always a good rule of thumb. Since it sounds like your already using it daily, just keep an eye on your skin for signs of irritation or dryness. If your skin seems to be fine, I wouldn't worry.

I've stopped using AHA for a week and my face seemed less red. I guess it calms down. I've also reduced the drying lotion to every other day just because it's hard to remove by water. Often times I use a tiny bit amount of Neutrogena facial cleanser in the complete ance therapy system. I don't like it much because it dries out my skin and quite often makes pimples redder. Any suggestion for a cleanser that is light and doesn't worsen my face than it already is?