Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_dysmorphic_disorder

I found this really interesting and (if i'm being totally honest) could apply to many other people here. (including myself)

Do you ever spend hours each day in the mirror picking out every single fault on you face? Changing the lighting to make flaws more evident? Or looking in mirrors in different enviroments to see how good or bad you look?

Do people tell you that you look fine the way you are, but no matter how many people tell you, you just can't accept it?

Do you stay home and feel depressed because you think people are going to feel the same way about your physical appearance as you do?

Well I know that I experience all these things and think it may be disorder related.

I think it really is worth a read.

yeah i find that interesting tbh.

like, even if you have a pretty clear face, at close range everyone has flaws right? so why home in on them? just leave it be.

i think people here me included, go on the hunt for "perfect" skin, but we probably all know realistically this is simply not humanly possible. no one is perfect.

so dont be hard on yourself. its just the way things are.

like if someone got cancer, its not there fault (unless they were smoking 50 a day etc) so people need to realise life has many up's and downs.

we are so lucky in comparison to other people. having a nice roof above your head for shelter? driving a car to work? having a job?!

there is a bigger picture

yeah i find that interesting tbh.

like, even if you have a pretty clear face, at close range everyone has flaws right? so why home in on them? just leave it be.

i think people here me included, go on the hunt for "perfect" skin, but we probably all know realistically this is simply not humanly possible. no one is perfect.

so dont be hard on yourself. its just the way things are.

like if someone got cancer, its not there fault (unless they were smoking 50 a day etc) so people need to realise life has many up's and downs.

we are so lucky in comparison to other people. having a nice roof above your head for shelter? driving a car to work? having a job?!

there is a bigger picture

You're bang on the money there. :clap:

Everybody has flaws somewhere, and everybody thinks that their flaws are far more severe than how other people percieve them.

As for people that comment on your flaws, they do it because they know they have flaws themselves, and focusing on other peoples flaws, helps them to forget about their own.

i know for sure i have that. i always cry to myself at sleep because i hate EVERYTHING about my body. my face is enough to keep ghosts, rats, witches, cockroaches and vampires at bay.

i'm currently seeking help, but it's not helping at all. when i save up enough money i'm going to get a boob job and rhinoplasty

i know for sure i have that. i always cry to myself at sleep because i hate EVERYTHING about my body. my face is enough to keep ghosts, rats, witches, cockroaches and vampires at bay.

i'm currently seeking help, but it's not helping at all. when i save up enough money i'm going to get a boob job and rhinoplasty

I was going to get rhinoplasty myself as my nose doesnt look normal on the right side and I have 1 nostril bigger than the other. :)

Its noticable to me in certain mirrors/lighting (just like my scarring).

However, i'm not going through with rhinoplasty anymore. Because everybody I mention my crooked nose to, looks around my nose then scratches their head. :lol: (same with the scars)

I think with BDD, it doesnt matter how many make overs you get, if you can't get it under control psychologically, then you'll never be happy with your physical appearance.

Edited by Fraz_2010

I was going to get rhinoplasty myself as my nose doesnt look normal on the right side and I have 1 nostril bigger than the other. :)

Its noticable to me in certain mirrors/lighting (just like my scarring).

However, i'm not going through with rhinoplasty anymore. Because everybody I mention my crooked nose to, looks around my nose then scratches their head. :lol: (same with the scars)

I think with BDD, it doesnt matter how many make overs you get, if you can't get it under control psychologically, then you'll never be happy with your physical appearance.

oh trust me i need a rhinoplasty more than you do LOL. your nose looks perfectly fine to me.. BDD is a horrible disorder to have ;/ i get anxieties all the time because of it and it's no fun.

Yeah, I think this disorder is getting more and more common- and is probably pretty common on this board. It doesn't help that we're bombarded by images of perfectly airbrushed people- I mean, those people in magazine ads don't even have pores! How would their skin breath?! It gives us a really skewed idea of what is normal/beautiful.

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so bad about yourself hellstorm. I find it interesting that you said to to Fraz "your nose looks perfectly fine to me" (which is true, you look good Fraz ;) ). I think that kind of statement characterizes BDD- You don't use the same judgment for everyone else as you do for yourself, you know? It's the same reason a 70 lbs anorectic can look at a normal sized woman and wish that she was as thin. It's like we have a X100 vision for our own flaws- it makes them look huge and eclipses the big picture.

I am so glad that I've (mostly) been able to get rid of my body image issues. And I got pretty bad, let me tell you. I'm sure that you can overcome yours too, and be happy in your skin again. :)

Edited by akko

Just like it says on wiki, this disease actually affects a very low % of the population. I do believe I have it, but I don't believe many people here do. BDD typically involves you hating things about yourself that aren't actually there or aren't nearly as bad as you think. So people hating themselves because of acne doesn't really qualify for that...plus people who have BDD are greatly affected by it in their daily lives, some people can't even bare to get a job because of it.

I found this very interesting. I have thought I might have this in the past, but I doubt I do, as people diagnosed with it are very serious sufferers. I jsut think we all strive for symentry, which is what the eye sees as beautiful most of the time. We look at ourselves in the mirror and think, "If my skin was just clear, or if my right jaw was more like my left, if my nose was a little straigter, boobs a little more even..." But I doubt any of us will ever really e happy until we fix the things on the inside that make us unhappy. Don't get me wrong, Im positive I will have a lot more self esteem after I clear up, but I also know I wont be fully happy until I deal with all the stuff that makes me who I am. And by the way, I do look in the mirror and see a stranger sometimes. I have this idea in my head as to what I'm supposed to look like, and it makes me feel awful when I look in a mirror and don't see that person. I feel like, I'm supposed to have perfect skin, be thinner, look less tired, less akward. Hopefully we can all get there someday without a scalpel. NO Heidi Montag!

Just like it says on wiki, this disease actually affects a very low % of the population. I do believe I have it, but I don't believe many people here do. BDD typically involves you hating things about yourself that aren't actually there or aren't nearly as bad as you think. So people hating themselves because of acne doesn't really qualify for that...plus people who have BDD are greatly affected by it in their daily lives, some people can't even bare to get a job because of it.

Exactly. It's not at all a common condition. To all: For better, more in-depth reading about BDD, I suggest Mayo Clinic's site. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/body-dysm...isorder/ds00559

Obtaining a diagnosis of BDD via a psychiatrist or other medical doctor is the only way to know you have it or not. Assume all you like but it's really not common at all.

Low self-esteem, not BDD, is the most likely cause of the majority of persons' symptoms here on this board.

Not sure if I have BDD. I do all of those things but maybe its because my skin looks bad and maybe thats normal to be upset by that. I dont let it destroy my life but I do think about it constantly more so when I am stressed. I do have mild ocd and do take proazac to help.