Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lilangelnana

-sigh- I can't find a detailed answer to this Q: What is the difference between Tazarotene (Tazorac) and Tretinoin (Retin A, Renova,etc.)

Tazarotene (Tazorac) VERSUS Tretinoin (Retin A, Renova,etc.)

I've looked all over the net. I wish I could look at at some clinical trials or medical documents or SOMETHING (when I say "which one is directed", I mean which is the best choice in terms of how fast we see results for the condition listed below. Or in terms of how the product itself works.)

1. Which one is directed to clogged pores and acne

2. Which one is directed to oily skin/sensitive skin/dry skin (I know there is a tazorac gel and cream.)

3. Which one is directed to discolorations (e.g. hyperpigmentation, melasma, overall skin tone etc.)

4. Which is directed to wrinkles

5. Which one is directed to severe acne scarring (I know it wont do much, but I'f I can see some improvement in indented/shallow scarring then that'd be great. Even if it is minor)

6. How do they actually work . I've read about certain products activating certain retinoid receptors etc. etc. but I'd very much appreciate it if you can elaborate on how this works out. (This is basically the question I want answered...! I believe if I understand how the product itself works out then I'd have an easier time choosing which retinoid to use.)

1. they both are

2. creams are more for sensitive skin, may clog pores though so they may not work as well as gels.

3. they both are

4. they both are, retin-a more so

5. they both are

6. they act on the receptors, which tell the cells to shed in faster cycles (essentially exfoliating the skin).

Your overthinking this. Retin-a is milder but less strong. Tazorac is more irritating but stronger. Go to your dermatologist, and he/she will tell you which one suits your acne

Tazarotene (Tazorac) VERSUS Tretinoin (Retin A, Renova,etc.)

I've looked all over the net. I wish I could look at at some clinical trials or medical documents or SOMETHING (when I say "which one is directed", I mean which is the best choice in terms of how fast we see results for the condition listed below. Or in terms of how the product itself works.)

1. Which one is directed to clogged pores and acne

2. Which one is directed to oily skin/sensitive skin/dry skin (I know there is a tazorac gel and cream.)

3. Which one is directed to discolorations (e.g. hyperpigmentation, melasma, overall skin tone etc.)

4. Which is directed to wrinkles

5. Which one is directed to severe acne scarring (I know it wont do much, but I'f I can see some improvement in indented/shallow scarring then that'd be great. Even if it is minor)

6. How do they actually work . I've read about certain products activating certain retinoid receptors etc. etc. but I'd very much appreciate it if you can elaborate on how this works out. (This is basically the question I want answered...! I believe if I understand how the product itself works out then I'd have an easier time choosing which retinoid to use.)

If you're talking about specifics, that's really hard to say. I've been on Taz before and I'm currently on RAM. Taz is definitely the stronger of the two, but it made my skin too sensitive for my liking. But, as I've realized everyone is different.

If you want more info on retinoids and testing refer to this sticky in the Topical Retinoids board section (ppl tend to miss it):

Info about retinoids and the initial breakout, For Retin A, Tazorac, Differin, Green Cream & Diacneal users