Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Raynaaa

would birth control help body acne???

I have some acne in between my boobs. It's getting better, it isn't too bad. I started getting breakouts on my face when I hit puberty at 13. I was wondering since it seems it's just a teenage hormone thing could me going on birth control help my acne? Which ones are best for this? I only want one thats are pills. No shots, patches, ones they insert. Just pill ones :)

I have some acne in between my boobs. It's getting better, it isn't too bad. I started getting breakouts on my face when I hit puberty at 13. I was wondering since it seems it's just a teenage hormone thing could me going on birth control help my acne? Which ones are best for this? I only want one thats are pills. No shots, patches, ones they insert. Just pill ones :)

Hey, I was on Femcon Fe and in a few short weeks (2-3 weeks) it significantly decreased my body acne/ folliculitis/ whatever it is. I had to go off it due to it worsening my depression though, and am now on Tri Lo sprintec (ortho tri cyclen lo) and the acne came back. This birth control pill has a little more androgen (male hormone) in the progesin than the femcon did, and not as much estrogen to balance it out. I am switching to trinessa (ortho tri cyclen) in the next two weeks, which has the same amount of the same progestin but more estrogen to balance it out so hopefully my acne will clear up.

This webpage:http://www.wdxcyber.com/ncontr13.htm

is THE BEST I think at explaining which pills tend to be better for what. But ten women can go on the same pill and have ten totally different experiences so it all depends on how your body reacts to it, but that site will give you your best bets. Avoid ones with notoriously high androgen in the progestin. The problem with balancing out your androgen to get rid of acne, which is what happens when you go on bc for acne, is androgen contributes to your sex drive so if you balance out your androgen with a birth control pill, there's a higher chance with those pills that your sex drive /libido will go down.

Edited by postfetalphase

Hey, I was on Femcon Fe and in a few short weeks (2-3 weeks) it significantly decreased my body acne/ folliculitis/ whatever it is. I had to go off it due to it worsening my depression though, and am now on Tri Lo sprintec (ortho tri cyclen lo) and the acne came back. This birth control pill has a little more androgen (male hormone) in the progesin than the femcon did, and not as much estrogen to balance it out. I am switching to trinessa (ortho tri cyclen) in the next two weeks, which has the same amount of the same progestin but more estrogen to balance it out so hopefully my acne will clear up.

This webpage:http://www.wdxcyber.com/ncontr13.htm

is THE BEST I think at explaining which pills tend to be better for what. But ten women can go on the same pill and have ten totally different experiences so it all depends on how your body reacts to it, but that site will give you your best bets. Avoid ones with notoriously high androgen in the progestin. The problem with balancing out your androgen to get rid of acne, which is what happens when you go on bc for acne, is androgen contributes to your sex drive so if you balance out your androgen with a birth control pill, there's a higher chance with those pills that your sex drive /libido will go down.

Haha it's okay. I'm only 17. I don't NEED a sex drive haha. Thank you so much! :)

Do you know anything at all about Cyclessa? And do you know if I take b5 vitamins and this birth control would there be a better chance in getting rid of all my acne?

Cyclessa has desogestrel as the progestin, which has a much higher progestin potency than it has androgen potency. The progestin potency is more than twice that of its androgen, so while it does have more androgenic activity per 1 mg than a lot of them have, MUCH less of the progestin is needed due to its high activity as a progestin. It is relatively low in estrogen, but I don't think you need a large amount of estrogen due to the very low amount of androgen activity. Yes, I think it will help clear up acne, both from these facts and from reviews and marketing I have (admittedly briefly) read.

As for b5, I don't know much about that sort of thing.

Good luck!

I just found this website about the different progestins:

http://contraception.about.com/od/thepill/...gestinTypes.htm

Here's what it says about desogestrel, the progestin in cyclessa:

Desogestrel is a third-generation progestin with high progestational selectivity, minimizing androgenic effects and estrogenic activity. It shows less negative impact on metabolism, weight gain, acne, and other side effects typical of older progestins. It shows positive effects on lipoproteins as seen by a slight rise of HDL cholesterol. Clinical trials show a possibly higher risk of non-fatal venous thrombosis with desogestrel pills versus those with levonorgestrel. Mircette (a low-dose estrogen/desogestrel pill) provides a shorter placebo interval, which may be helpful for women who have migraines, dysmenorrhea, or other negative issues during that week. A low estrogen/varying desogestrel triphasic pill, Cyclessa, is also available.