Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brissyguy

EXPIRED BENZOYL PEROXIDE

My last order was in March and it arrived in April, and to my surprise I was given a free travel size BP bottle. I used it on a few occasions and I just ran out of my supplies so I decided whilst I wait for them to come to use my mini travel bottles.

To my shock and dismay, the bottles I paid for were still fine but the free bottle of BP expired in 04/10 two months ago!

I love everything about this site and what it stands for and I've been nothing but loyal but this is totally ridiculous and someone has to be held accountable.

I don't care about it being expired, but at least tell us that they're near their expiry date so we can throw them out! My mother was right, nothing in this world is free!

Did you think to check the expiration dates on each of the bottles when you first got them? That's always one of the first things I check when I buy anything.

If I understand correctly, you're complaining about a free gift that was given to you ?

It is your own fault for not checking the expiration date, first of all. And secondly, you didn't even have to receive one - those bottles were put randomly into orders - you're lucky to have even gotten one in the first place.

It really confuses me when people complain about a free gift, especially when what they're complaining about is their own fault. The bottle hadn't expired when you received it, so I don't understand how you can complain.

I'm sure they added the free bottle from the kindness of their hearts! The fact that they got rid of almsot-expired stuff like that was just a bonus :whistle:

I'm not complaining about the free gift! For god's sake! I would have no qualms about it if there was a message, online or in the box, about it expiring in the same month that I got it!

I do check all my bottles for the expiry date but I'm not sure how that one got past me.

I'd just like to raise awareness of the issue because it's borderlining on dishonesty.

'Sure they're going to expire soon so we'll just hand them out to people' - without telling them?

That's the thing I'd like to highlight, DISCLOSURE!

*whoops pressed submit post after typing the first line

Edited by Brissyguy

I'm not complaining about the free gift! For god's sake! I would have no qualms about it if there was a message, online or in the box, about it expiring in the same month that I got it!

I do check all my bottles for the expiry date but I'm not sure how that one got past me.

I'd just like to raise awareness of the issue because it's borderlining on dishonesty.

'Sure they're going to expire soon so we'll just hand them out to people' - without telling them?

That's the thing I'd like to highlight, DISCLOSURE!

*whoops pressed submit post after typing the first line

messege dan and let him know

dude, calm your shit.

im guessing they gave you that free bp because theyre not gonna sell expired product so what else is a good company to do but give it away for free?

this is just another reason why this company is so kind... dont let one little cloud spoil the sunshine.

I feel your initial reaction. Consider this lesson learned: Check expiration date in every thing you use or eat. One time, I've mistakely used a product that was already expired. It is completely my fault for not checking the expiration. Upon realizing it, I was grateful I only used it once and no skin reaction from using it and that I noticed it early. Make a lemonade out of lemons.

Yay time to defend myself yay.

If you were to go into a store and buy say, canned tuna that was near it's expiration date and you opened it a week later to eat it and realise it was expired - what would your reaction be?

The company has an obligation to ensure that it is not expired and that's why we trust them.

Just because it (or this) was free doesn't mean that it is right.

Thanks for the advice SeenDella, I do recall checking all my products immediately a few months ago after reading a thread on the forums about expiration dates so I don't know why I didn't see it then.

what else is a good company to do but give it away for free?

When the bottle was shipped, it wasn't expired. Just check expiration dates; problem solved.

I find it much more environmentally friendly that the company tries to give away almost expired products rather than simply just throw them away.

Excuse me? I've worked for numerous 'companies' that were pedantic about expired products and would do through all of their stock monthly and throw away stuff that was near their expiry date instead of selling it to customers! Now that's the 'right' ethical thing to do!

They included a free gift. They didn't "sell" you an expired product. You said you always check the dates and that this one some how got by you. If you admittedly made a mistake of misreading, or not reading, the expiration date, that's on you. Not trying to be a jerk. I don't see why this thread was created. Good day.

:ninja:

Why is everyone pointing out that it was a gift when that's not the issue?!

To highlight that fact, if this was a 'paid' for product then the replies will be totally different I bet you.

:-

I'm not going to get caught up in technicalities. Did I say that they ever sold me the product or that I did not consider it a gift? No. I'm saying that it's unethical to supply a consumer a product that is so close to it's expired date!

:wacko:

I guess the way most people are looking at this is that they didn't sell you anything that was expired or even close to expired. You got a free gift--a small bottle of BP that was close to expiring when you got it.

If you'd started using that bottle as soon as you got it, you probably could've even used it up before it expired.

Like Wynne said, it makes a lot more sense for a company to give away product that's close to its expiration date than to just hold onto it and then throw it away once it expires. I mean, when they sent that product to you, it was still perfectly good--just close to its expiration date.

I just don't understand why you're getting upset about this, but I have to admit that it's kind of irking me. Haven't you ever been to a store that has food items on sale because they're getting close to the expiration or 'sell by' date, but are not quite there yet?

And people still pay for those things. You got this one for absolutely free.

I mean, heck, for most of us, getting a little bonus with our order would be a reason to be happy and feel lucky. But you're just complaining about a gift.

Come on, now.

Oh, and yes, to touch on your post, if this thread was started to complain about being sent an expired product that you paid for, things would be a lot different. That would be a bit of a rip-off (and even if that did ever happen, I know that customer support at danielkern.com would rectify the situation promptly). But the fact is, you started this thread to complain about something you didn't pay for, and, in fact, didn't even order. It was a free surprise.

A company that expects customers to pay for expired products would be unethical. A company that gives away free, unexpired products is generous.

they didn't sell you anything that was expired or even close to expired. You got a free gift--a small bottle of BP that was close to expiring when you got it.

I'm assuming that this was a typo.

I mean, when they sent that product to you, it was still perfectly good--just close to its expiration date.

I just don't understand why you're getting upset about this, but I have to admit that it's kind of irking me. Haven't you ever been to a store that has food items on sale because they're getting close to the expiration or 'sell by' date, but are not quite there yet?

No, I have never come across a sale in a supermarket where the products were near their expiration date. I have however, come across this in some small convenience stores or asian markets.

I posted my last comment to ensure that the discussion would move away from the issue of the 'gift' aspect and so on. Obviously you're not getting it.

Would it of really hurt to post an online message on the boards or put a note in the mail to tell recipients that the product was going to expire in a week? Then recipients would have FULL disclosure about the gift they were going to get from the kindness of your heart.

The act itself I find pretty disconcerting but to pass it off as just normal practice concerns me even more as I find it sneaky.

I don't see any typos in what I posted, and I stand by what I've said. Perhaps the reason people keep focusing on the 'gift' aspect of this is because you're complaining about a gift that you didn't order, earn, or really even deserve to get. Sense of entitlement much?

Ever heard the phrase, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"? You got something for free. Don't be picky about it.

You made a point by saying that it wasn't 'expired or close to expired' when I received it, then you said it was 'close to expired' so I just assumed and passed it off as a grammatical error because it was contradictory.

Again, I make that point that I am not being picky nor is the issue in relation to it being a gift.

As consumer's we have to stand up if something is deemed to be dodgy and not pander to some ideology that says 'beggars' can't be choosers in relation to buying something on discount or receiving something for free.

You shouldn't give people a product that's near expired without disclosing it. Full stop.

....You shouldn't give people a product that's near expired without disclosing it. Full stop.

Check the expiration dates on products you receive. Full stop.

You made a point by saying that it wasn't 'expired or close to expired' when I received it, then you said it was 'close to expired' so I just assumed and passed it off as a grammatical error because it was contradictory.

Again, I make that point that I am not being picky nor is the issue in relation to it being a gift.

As consumer's we have to stand up if something is deemed to be dodgy and not pander to some ideology that says 'beggars' can't be choosers in relation to buying something on discount or receiving something for free.

You shouldn't give people a product that's near expired without disclosing it. Full stop.

What I said was that that they didn't sell you anything that was expired or close to expired. What you received was a free gift that was close to expiring, but still not expired.

At any rate, I'm glad that Dan has decided to give out these little bonuses, and I hope that in the future, you don't get any more of them so that they won't bother you any further, and that the people that do get them will use them and be happy.

Annnnnnd I'm done with this thread.

Uhhhhhh the OP has every right to complain. Expiration dates are not magic lines where the product is in perfect condition until the night before.

I bought my bottle of Dan's 2.5% BP about eight months ago, and it says it expires in August 2011. In other words, Dan normally ships his BP with a multiple year expiration date. A month before the expiration date is therefore not a relatively large amount of time, and could very well mean that the product is already in a less-then-prime condition, or has already expired.

I can say for sure that if I got a product that expires in a month time, but is usually shipped to me with an expiration date three years in the future, I wouldn't bother to use it at all.

Edited by Beautiful Day

Jesus, finally someone without a hidden agenda! I'm going to friend you.

I'm all for constructive criticism but I would say a few of you have set back consumer movements back by a few decades.

All I know is I wouldn't want to receive near expired BP or any other products again for that matter, so don't you worry about little ol' me.

*Unsubscribed from thread

I also got the free travel size BP - Nice and thank you for that…but…

I got it in March and started using it in March - and after a short while the pimples start forming - I haven’t had a pimple in more than 3 years because of the regimen. I looked at the bottle and noticed the expire-date (Expire 04/10). I started using a new bottle of bp and the pimples are gone.

So thank you for the free travel size but it made my acne came back.

Kind Regards

Edited by Anonym

That's wierd - it's happened to three people so far. It feels different to normal BP.

Normal BP is thick, sting's a little and takes a while to soak into the skin.

The free travel size is runny, doesn't sting and soaks into the skin immediately.

Some threads on the forum say that recently expired BP is alright for use (if you're stuck).

Jury's still out.

I just noticed last night that my free travel size BP was expired after I've been using it for about one month. It's the firs tiem I've used Dan's BP and I liked it so I ordered a larger size that I thankfully got and could switch over to right away last night. Now this morning my face is red and more irritated because this non-expired stuff does seem stronger - it was thicker and had a different smell. Hope my skin doesn't go backwards because it's taken me almost 4 months to get my clear skin back. I'm taking the blame for not checking the expiration date -- but I do see where Brissyguy is coming from, because I didn't think a product I just got in the mail would be near it's expiration. Oh well, I still love Dan's regimen, BP, and this site.....I hope my skin does too.

i think the BP can be used expired. it is an *oxidant* already, so i doubt it's going to go bad after a few months. in fact, i imagine it's fine and just as effective a year or more past expiry. I usually buy a bunch of bottles at once. i'll have to see, but i bet some of them are expired, and they work fine.

Edited by poikiloid

I just read your post poikloid and sorry for the belated reply TMB my delayed email notification is till turned on for some reason.

I know what you mean, this was a while ago and I sort of ran out of energy explaining a simple concept to people. The expired BP feels SO good because it's so runny and doesn't sting but you can definitely tell that something's 'not right' when you use expired BP and then real BP afterwards.

Oh and for anyone who's posted or readers of this thread, I finally found the phrase I was looking for to sum up my whole (former) frustration! Do read up on it, It's called:

Caveat Emptor.