Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
noto214

Don't know where to turn anymore...need some advice.

Hey guys, so heres the story. I'm a 20 year old guy, healthy eater, and am and really good shape. I work out 5 days a week, and have been for about 2 years and I absolutely love it. That's the good part...but we all know whats coming.

All my life I've had minor acne, but literally nothing ever more then maybe a few blackheads and the occasional pimple once every couple weeks or so. It was nothing i really cared about and never bothered me. However over the last 2 months or so my acne has made a turn for the worse. I generally always have a lot of blackheads in my T-zone and always have, but they have never bothered me because they are barely noticable. But lately I've moved on to getting a new pimple or red mark...pretty much every day. Some turn into white heads which I can remove easily and they go away after a couple days...while others simply just create red blotchy spots instead of raising up. Some are just pimples that wont pop. My face isnt covered in them, but theyre deffinately there, and regaurdless of severity its taken a huge toll on my confidence, social life, and just overall happiness.

I literally think about acne 24 hours a day, I find my self constantly checking mirrors, scrunching my face to feel for new ones forming, and wondering what others think, even though its not as bad as it could be. My girlfriend supports me through this and she doesnt think its anywhere as bad as I make it, as with my parents. My friends dont look at me any different, but unless you're the one suffering, you never know what its like to constantly feel not your best by something so small yet so dibilitating.

I just don't know where to turn. The only step I havent taken in my mild to moderate acne journey is seeing a dermatologist. I'm just sick of living like this, especially because I was such a confident, outgoing, life of the party guy before this. Now I feel like a shell of my old self and I only exist, not live. Its depressing I know, but its the sad truth. My life just lost most of its enjoyment since acne, and I'm just asking for a helping hand.

Thanks everyone.

Seeing a derm is a good idea, but just know that in many cases people end up trying many different Rx treatments (antibiotics, retin-a, etc.) with little success, only eventually to try either of the 800-pound gorillas in the room: Isotretinoin (accutane) or the regimen.

My recommendation is to do a lot of internet research and consider starting the regimen in the meantime. Compared to other treatments, it's cheap and basically can't hurt.