Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Caitie

Should I do a second course??

Hi! I finished my first course of Accutane 6 months ago in December. It was only a 5 month course, but I saw tremendous results. Before, I had terrible cystic acne all over my face and was completely miserable. Accutane was definitely a last resort, but it work.

However, things are changing now. My skin has become super oily like it did before I went on Accutane, and although I'm not breaking out as badly, I'm still breaking out. I feel like if I had stayed on my first course a little longer, this wouldn't be happening. I've gotten several small cysts and some little breakouts, and while this doesn't seem too bad to most, it's really hurting my self-esteem.

I'm wondering if I should start a second course of Accutane. If anyone has done this, I'd love your input! I appreciate the help :)

Follow a regimen, keep your skin not dry not oily (using the right soap or cleanser), absorbent paper, some bacteria killers in prone zones, the right mositurizer for your skin and that is about it. Spend your hole life in accutane, I'am not a fun of that but people here, some of them, will recommend that.

I'm on a third.

If you didn't have horrible side effects the first time around, then it's probably safe for another round. Accutane is sometimes only a temporary solution (sadly).

From my experience: if topical treatment, antibiotics, etc didn't work before, they aren't going to do any better now. Some other people have had different experiences though.

The problem with topical antibiotics is that the likelyhood of resistance is higher. That's the reason of using BP and Tea Tree Oil. Oral Antibiotics are good to clean yourself, but then you need to follow a regimen. Accutane is also temporary so ... a regimen is the solution for those with cronic acne in my view.

I am on my third course now, and each time the acne came back it started with just a little and built up. It has never been as bad as it was pre-accutane, but I would say it is definitely worth it to go back on. My second course was more successful than my first, and I am hoping that the third will knock it out for good. I haven't had any side effects and I would say that if you were fine the first time, you should be fine again.

Good luck!

I probably wouldn't, and I'm not going to.

Accutane messes with your gene expression, and even though you didn't have terrible side effects, it still affects you on the inside.

Just my opinion.