Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jwardmagic

Shaving, acne and benzoyl peroxide?

I've realised something major regarding my acne I have had since I was 13 (Im now 21). I have tried all sorts of treatments including proactive and accutane. The only thing until now that worked was accutane but I don't want to go back on it.

I recently got back from a trip to Arizona and spent a lot of the time in the sun hiking. I have a tanned skin tone naturally, and during this time I went quite a lot darker. When I got back to the UK and my skin started to fade back to its natural tanned colour, I noticed I was having a lot fewer break outs.

Another thing is, I haven't been shaving as much. I notice that if I dont shave for say 5 days, after I shave the beard off, my skin is close to perfect!? I still use a benzoyl peroxide cleanser everyday but in the past this did not help much.

Any ideas what may be the cause of my acne then? Anyone else had experience like this?

well the sun is generally healthy for the skin. too much of it can be damaging, but a healthy dose of Vitamin D does nothing but good.

what were you using to shave with? sounds like however you shave or whatever you are using was irritating your skin.

well the sun is generally healthy for the skin. too much of it can be damaging, but a healthy dose of Vitamin D does nothing but good.

what were you using to shave with? sounds like however you shave or whatever you are using was irritating your skin.

I dont think it has anything to do with folliculitis or what i use to shave. ive been shaving for over ten years and used dozens of different kinds of things, oils, Bzp Oxy shaving cremes etc etc. I get it on my forehead too and I dont shave there so it cant be folliculitis. Im puzzled!

I never actually get any acne in my beard area - haven't for about 5 years thankfully! However, if I go a few days without shaving, then the skin in that area does look a bit crappy. Shaving it off then makes it look really nice. I think this is down to two reasons:

1. Stubble is kinda scruffy looking, so you can notice the difference more once you shave it off.

2. Shaving is a form of exfoliation and will probably make your skin look a bit brighter.

Do you have sensitive skin? How many times do you wash your face? Do you use cold water or hot? what about shaving? Aftershave?