Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristen2010

Folliculitis and it's relation to Acne

So, some of you know that I've been dealing with a pretty serious, very sudden "breakout." Which is, honestly, very uncommon for me... I went for about two months thinking it was just a very severe acne breakout. I went to a few different doctors and none of them really took the time to listen to my story and ANALYZE my skin. I was thrown different topicals and medications for acne and was told to "come back in a couple months and if it doesn't heal we'll put you on accutane." I knew something was wrong and that it couldn't just be acne because it came in clusters, and looked almost like a rash with little pimples... Needless to say it also itched like a rash... It also appeared to be extremely infected when I would try to extract the "pimples", green-ish yellow pus would ooze out, then almost immediately scab over. (Sorry for the visual! Haha) The condition only worsened and I was so depressed and I felt very defeated for a good month or so.

Only about a week ago did I find out that it was actually a case of folliculitis, which can appear, at first, to look like an acne breakout.

I've been on antibiotics for about a week, and it's almost completely healed. If only I could have tackled it sooner!

It's insane how things work out. I don't think I would have ever known what caused this breakout before I joined this website. It was actually a girl, Olive14, that suggested I ask the doctor to test me for a staph infection (folliculitis). Honestly, this condition took over my life for the past couple of months and I thought I'd never get better. I am so grateful to all of you for showing so much concern and support. You will never know how much that means to me.

Edited by kristen2010

Hi Kristen,

That is so cool that you found out what you have and are treating it! Congrats! That must be a huge relief and I know the feeling. I also had been dealing with folliculitis(fungal) for two years before I joined acne.org, and it's only here that I finally learned what I had and how to treat it. Now I'm completely clear- in fact, my skin's never been better! During those two years of torment, I went to two dermatologists and three doctors, who all told me I should exfoliate more and gave me topicals that didn't work or made my skin worse. :rolleyes: I don't know why it's not standard for derms to rule out the different forms of folliculitis when someone presents with acne. I want to spread the word about these acne-like conditions so that people don't have to go years before finding relief.

Best,

akko

Hi Kristen,

That is so cool that you found out what you have and are treating it! Congrats! That must be a huge relief and I know the feeling. I also had been dealing with folliculitis(fungal) for two years before I joined acne.org, and it's only here that I finally learned what I had and how to treat it. Now I'm completely clear- in fact, my skin's never been better! During those two years of torment, I went to two dermatologists and three doctors, who all told me I should exfoliate more and gave me topicals that didn't work or made my skin worse. :rolleyes: I don't know why it's not standard for derms to rule out the different forms of folliculitis when someone presents with acne. I want to spread the word about these acne-like conditions so that people don't have to go years before finding relief.

Best,

akko

What kinds of things do you do to treat it? I think I might have a staph infection as well, waiting to get lab work done. I'm so glad you guys figured out what was going on with your skin!!!

Edit: I found your regimin in White Fox's folleculitis thread, : )

Edited by smartie