Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mercs22

Thought this might give you guys a boost...

One of my good friends (we're both 18) has moderate-severe acne scarring and hes one of the most popular people I know. He parties and hangs out with really hot girls and it doesn't seem like hes let the scarring get in his way of living his life to the fullest. Meanwhile I've let my scarring which is not even close to as bad as his get in the way of doing the things that I want and has put me in this slump. Just thought I'd share.

One of my good friends (we're both 18) has moderate-severe acne scarring and hes one of the most popular people I know. He parties and hangs out with really hot girls and it doesn't seem like hes let the scarring get in his way of living his life to the fullest. Meanwhile I've let my scarring which is not even close to as bad as his get in the way of doing the things that I want and has put me in this slump. Just thought I'd share.

Yeah, I know quite a few guys like that too. Fat with moderate-severe acne and acne scarring, yet the ladies man and the guy other guys envy.

Harder for girls to be confident w acne cus of all the social pressure to look a certain way imo. I hate the media -_-

Yeah, I know quite a few guys like that too. Fat with moderate-severe acne and acne scarring, yet the ladies man and the guy other guys envy.

Harder for girls to be confident w acne cus of all the social pressure to look a certain way imo. I hate the media -_-

I second that!

Why don't I feel boosted? Heh.

People always think stories like these help...they might temporarily but it's not life changing. It's the same reason people always ask to see celebrities with acne, thinking "omg if a celebrity has acne, I guess it's acceptable for me too". Then they feel better about themselves for 5 mins and go back to hating themselves again.

A for effort though :D

People always think stories like these help...they might temporarily but it's not life changing. It's the same reason people always ask to see celebrities with acne, thinking "omg if a celebrity has acne, I guess it's acceptable for me too". Then they feel better about themselves for 5 mins and go back to hating themselves again.

Pip Pip Jay!

Don't hate :(

OP:

good story.. but I agree with .free.spirit. girls have it way harder (even though we can wear make-up.. it's still a lot worse) too many unfulfilled expectations.

but acne's just a part of my life.. and i'm not the type that wants to be the center of attention with 10 hot guys.. i just want clear skin lol.

Edited by mslily009

Yea I know what you mean... words don't really help me either. Its just different because I know this guy, hes not just some celebrity with tons of money.

It is unfortunate we turned out this way. I have a friend on Facebook and he has horrible acne and most of all breaks out alot in the worst place, on the tip of his nose. It's always SO red in that area and when I look through his pics he's always with hot girls and smiling. It's like...some people are really affected mentally by acne and some aren't. That's just how it is.

It is unfortunate we turned out this way. I have a friend on Facebook and he has horrible acne and most of all breaks out alot in the worst place, on the tip of his nose. It's always SO red in that area and when I look through his pics he's always with hot girls and smiling. It's like...some people are really affected mentally by acne and some aren't. That's just how it is.

true :think:

I second that!

Wooots :D

OP:

good story.. but I agree with .free.spirit. girls have it way harder (even though we can wear make-up.. it's still a lot worse) too many unfulfilled expectations.

but acne's just a part of my life.. and i'm not the type that wants to be the center of attention with 10 hot guys.. i just want clear skin lol.

Yeah I agree. I just want clear skin. I'm into the nice guy, the REAL men. I don't play games so I couldn't care less about 10 hot guys either :]. I'm also way too comfortable being invisible atm to give it up =p

You're right, makeup does help :]. A looot. But yeah... guys still have it easier. Girls don't judge as much, at least from experience, and the media doesn't go nuts over it. In fact, I see acne/acne scars = normal/tough looking on guys but then when it comes to a girl, I'm like *noooooo! That sucks.*

Man. I'm such a product of society.

Sorry, but I have to disagree about it being any easier for men.

Women are naturally more into hygiene than men are. And its hard to look hygienic when you have red dry skin and pus filled pimples on your face.

The key (as the OP is pointing out) is confidence.

Whether you're a man or a women, if you just don't give a damn, most other people wont either. And for the people that do make a fuss out of it, you're not going to be bothered about them, because you'll be surrounded by all the decent people.

Well done to your friend and good luck to him! I think we can all learn something here.

Edited by Fraz_2010

Women are naturally more into hygiene than men are. And its hard to look hygienic when you have red dry skin and pus filled pimples on your face.

Whether you're a man or a women, if you just don't give a damn, most other people wont either. And for the people that do make a fuss out of it, you're not going to be bothered about them, because you'll be surrounded by all the decent people.

Well done to your friend and good luck to him! I think we can all learn something here.

:clap:

Could not have said it any better man.

Confidence boosting and Surround yourself with decent folks.

I can say that doing it does make me feel much more at ease and better about myself.

even though my skin has cleared up a lot, as Jay pointed out earlier, it still affects people in ways they never expected it to. mainly the psychological damage and emotional scarring it inflicts..

Slowly though, we can get better over time, and step by step we build ourselves up gaining valuable insight, gotta Have hat confidence first in order to Take that leap of Faith and do something about it.

hah what an ironic twist.

Life is like that sometimes huh?

OP, brill post, Postive thinking is what it is all about.

without Positivity and the Will to overcome and do something about our adversities, we would surely all be dead by now.

Maybe that's a tad melodramatic. but think about it!

It all does depend on the individual, I agree that confidence counts a lot, but I still think guys have it easier in general, since it's been long ingrained in our heads that women should look a certain way, and that includes having pretty much perfect skin. It is starting with men as well, but there is still much less pressure. It doesn't help that most guys tend to fall head over heels altogether for only the prettier girls, still only speaking from my own experience of course. That's what it all comes down to anyway, and in my experience, people overlook guys with acne much more than they do girls with acne.

I don't know about other girls' opinions, but at least for me, I don't see it as a guy being unhygienic. It is hygiene related at some levels, like greasy hair can effect acne, but it's all relatively easy to tell. I'm obsessed with cleanliness too so I'm not just blabbing. I wash my hands when I wake up in the morning, before I go to sleep, after typing (cus the keyboard is actually full of bacteria), before eating, after eating, after touching money, if I get a drop of anything other than water on my hands, etc.. At least 10 times a day. I can't stand being in an unclean place so I always clean up my room too. I just see it as a skin condition that sucks, and when it's on a girl it just seems a lot worse, cus it means it's one more of the many expectations for looks that we have. Then again, it all comes down to our experiences and how we interpret our experiences. That's just my perspective.

Hmm... I live in Mongolia... and here people have a rather typical view of both sexes, so I guess that could explain my more biased view. I don't mean to be biased, just honest about how I see it >.<