Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
strachml

Microdermabrasion - scared to try again!

Hi all! A brief background on my acne situation - I had it moderately in my teens, it cleared up in college, then it came back again in my early 20's. I finally went on a 6 month Accutane regimen which cleared most of it up. It started coming back again a little bit a few months ago (after being off Accutane for about 6 months) and now I'm maintaining 99% clear skin with solodyn and diffrin gel.

A couple years ago before biting the bullet and going on accutane, I had received [HORRIBLE] advice from a med spa to try getting rid of my acne by doing chemical peels and microdermabrasions, alternating every two weeks. BIG MISTAKE. The chemical peel pretty much did nothing but the microdermabrasion on my ACTIVE acne was horrible. I broke out worse than I ever had.

That being said... I stopped the treatments but still have credit for 3 chemical peels and 4 micros at the med spa. I switched to a new location and they don't do chemical peels here so they said I could switch it to 7 micros instead. Because I got a discount on the original treatment packages I bought, if I rolled the money over to a different service (ex: laser, IPL) after subtracting the 3 treatments I already had, it would only be $130 which goes NO WHERE unless I wanted to spend more money (which I don't).

MY QUESTION IS: Now that my skin has cleared up, should I try the microdermabrasions again to help fade the red marks left from my acne? Or should I just leave well enough alone now that my skin has finally cleared up???

As much as I'd love to use the treatment packages that I spent hundreds of dollars on previously... I'd rather keep my skin CLEAR!!!! Is it worth messing with a good thing to POSSIBLY help clear up the marks I have left from my acne? I'm getting married in 5 1/2 months and definitely don't want to screw my face up any more...

I appreciate advice that anyone has!!!! :)

If your skin is clear, then why would you want dermabrasion?

Sorry... let me clarify. By "clear" I meant free of active breakouts. It's NOT clear in terms of the marks left behind... hence why I'm entertaining the possibility of trying the microdermabrasion again.

I would definitely recommend against any kind of dermabrasion, as many sources I've read say it has little effect on PIH and is overly irritating.

I've had excellent results with TCA peels and so would recommend them, but if they're not your thing then I'd go for a different avenue and try something completely new, like laser or something.

If your skin is clear, then why would you want dermabrasion?

Sorry... let me clarify. By "clear" I meant free of active breakouts. It's NOT clear in terms of the marks left behind... hence why I'm entertaining the possibility of trying the microdermabrasion again.

Well as long as you aren't suffering from any active breakouts, you may benefit from multiple micros.

You may breakout slightly though (it is controlled damage after all). But the spots are usually very minor and clear up quickly if you just leave them alone.