Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
momoanda

GENTLE exfoliator & wash?

can someone recommend a good GENTLE exfoliator? :)

and maybe even a good facewash, something from neutrogena that works?

A good gentle facewash: Cetaphil or Purpose or Basic or Dan's.

What kind of exfoliation do you want? Chemical or mechanical? For nice chemical ones, see the glycolic product recommendations in my signature. The only mechanical exfoliation I really like is the baby's hair brush or a spinning toothbrush. There's of course the Clarisonic if you want to spend lots of money for face cleaning.

The following two links are to websites that list comedogenic ingredients. You can research the ingredients in your product(s) and determine if any might be problematic. The second link is to a PDF so if your computer is old or cranky, your computer might freeze. Remember that the further down on the list of ingredients, the less percentage of that ingredient is in the product. So a comedogenic ingredient that is in the last half of an ingredient list may or may not cause you problems. http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm#inglist

http://facerealityskincare.com/img/Pore%20...Skin%20Care.pdf

What kind of exfoliation do you want? Chemical or mechanical? For nice chemical ones, see the glycolic product recommendations in my signature. The only mechanical exfoliation I really like is the baby's hair brush or a spinning toothbrush. There's of course the Clarisonic if you want to spend lots of money for face cleaning.

The following two links are to websites that list comedogenic ingredients. You can research the ingredients in your product(s) and determine if any might be problematic. The second link is to a PDF so if your computer is old or cranky, your computer might freeze. Remember that the further down on the list of ingredients, the less percentage of that ingredient is in the product. So a comedogenic ingredient that is in the last half of an ingredient list may or may not cause you problems. http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm#inglist

YAY! thank you, I was beginning to lose hope on this site because no one answers me back :( thank you for those two links, they will be very helpful to me.. I've never tried Glycolic Acid on my face before, is it gentle? i've used avon's clear skin products before but i am beginning to think its a little to strong for my skin, my skin is really red, and i think its because hot water, too much exfoliation and strong products :( i am trying to calm my skin =/

thank you so much!

YAY! thank you, I was beginning to lose hope on this site because no one answers me back :( thank you for those two links, they will be very helpful to me.. I've never tried Glycolic Acid on my face before, is it gentle? i've used avon's clear skin products before but i am beginning to think its a little to strong for my skin, my skin is really red, and i think its because hot water, too much exfoliation and strong products :( i am trying to calm my skin =/

thank you so much!

A relatively low level of glycolic acid 5%-10% should be okay for every other day use. The toner strength ones I like are best used nightly or every other night. I use mine every two or three nights.

With chemical exfoliation, you'll want to also wear SPF 30. Neutrogena Healthy Skin Day version has a reportedly nice sunscreen. It also has a small amount of an AHA (alpha hydroxy acid) so will help with exfoliation all by itself.

Another great choice for very very gentle exfoliation is Lac Hydrin. It's over the counter and lots of people enjoy its moisturizing ability and exfoliation ability. :)

It's definitely a good idea to use cool or warm water when washing; hot water can be very irritating and drying, especially for sensitive skin.

One thing that's soothing is to wet a washcloth, put it in the freezer. When it's frozen, take it out and place it over your face. It's soothing and helps relieve redness.

By far the most gentle (and affordable!) manual exfoliation I've ever tried is the baby brush method. You get one of those flat, soft baby hair brushes from the drugstore, you put it against your skin and gently work it in circles over your whole face. Then you wash your face- in my case I use spectro gel. When I used srubs, they would always leave my face a little red, but not this. This method is great on its own, and even better when you use it along with a chemical exfoliant (I use green cream). Although I should point out my skin needs more exfoliation than most.

thank you so much!

Be careful with any exfoliating product if your face is already red and irritated. I was always trying to exfoliate my skin and when I got on the regimen I really try to stick to Dan's suggestion of being really gentle...it was hard but after a few weeks my face calmed. It was still really dry -- I started putting liquid veg glycerin for sunburns and skin irritations over night mixed with my moisturizer and with very little effort the flaky skin would come off the next morning in the shower because it was so moistened overnight.

Just be gentle anything you do because the more you irritate the more red your face will get.

I would also recommend Spectro Jel too!

Edited by TMB