Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mom2teen1996

accutane journel for my 14 year old

I guess I should of started this sooner. My son is now on day 16 of 20 mg of Claravis. Here is some background information on him

My son has cystic acne. His acne has only ever been on his chin, below his nose, and on his nose. He also has had some in his ears, scalp, chest and back. Never one on either cheek (strange!)...he is extremely oily and washes his hair and face 2 times daily. Now he is using Triaz 6% morning and night...Duac morning and night...Tazarac .05% at bedtime. For shampoo he uses Loprox 2 times a week and T-sal neutrogena the rest of the time. He gets microderabrasion treatments every other week. We have also tried Solodyn (allergic reaction after 3 weeks) 4 months of erythromicin...and 10 day course of Bactrium. Has been going to the dermatologist every 2 weeks for 11 months. Ready and anxious to start Accutane and pray this is the answer for him!!!

He had a intial breakout on day 10...lips began peeling and very dry on day 12.

Now to day 16...wow! His hair hasn't looked this good in a year. The oil is all dried up on both his hair and face. He hasn't had any new pimples since day 10 and those are all almost healed and gone. He is very fortunate not to have any scarring now or before and I am thinking that could be from having bi-monthly microderms. His mood has been fabulous and he has a big appetite.

He is washing his face 3 times daily. First in the moring with Cetaphil cleanser and then followed by Cetaphil Moisturizer with 2 drops of Jojoba oil. After school with Neutrogena foaming wash followed by moisturizer and the same before bed. For his initial break out he used ice and took motrin. We have changed shampoos to Head and Shoulder for oily hair and he continues his Loprox 2 times a week.

We are not sure how long this journey will be, but trying to stay positive and take it day by day.

Good luck to all!

Hi Mom2Teen!

Your son is very lucky to have such a supportive mother, and I wish you both good luck with the accutane! I think that he should clear up really well with the 20 mg- I also started at 20 mg, although now, on my 4th month, my dosage is doubled. I've cleared up pretty fantastically, I must say, as I'm sure your son will too. Tell him to be patient, and that he should be completely clear in just a few months! :)

Day 17

No new break outs...one old one his chin was leaking clear stuff this morning and now just crusted....Lips look ok and skin and hair is still oil free:)

His younger sister even completed him on his face tonight...she doesn't understand about accutane so she is just saying it like she sees it:)

This really is a roller coaster ride waiting to see what his skin will do next...postive thoughts for another "clear day" ;)

Hi Mom2Teen!

Your son is very lucky to have such a supportive mother, and I wish you both good luck with the accutane! I think that he should clear up really well with the 20 mg- I also started at 20 mg, although now, on my 4th month, my dosage is doubled. I've cleared up pretty fantastically, I must say, as I'm sure your son will too. Tell him to be patient, and that he should be completely clear in just a few months! :)

Thanks for your response...you are so sweet! I am not sure what the doctor will increase his dosage too. He is 5 ft 6 in and weighs 120...so she can go has high as 55mg...40mg sounds doable...when your dosage doubled did you have a bad breakout??

Hmm... say good luck to your son from me (or, to be less creepy, just send the good luck vibes his way.) It's so awesome that your keeping up a log for him. Oh my God, all that stuff he had to go through before accutane makes my face burn just thinking about it - youch.

Day 18

So I was thinking I wouldn't update every day but after the bad outbreak today I thought I should. He woke up clear, came home from school clear, washed his face after school and within 1 hour 7 new ones popped up :( some are big whites heads one is huge and red all around! He said they don't hurt so no cystic ones now which is positive! He isn't acting upset like he did last week with his initial break out so that's another good thing...Oil is still completely under control with hair and face which is totally exciting!!!

The dr said he can put "clindamycin" not sure of spelling on his active pimples it is a rx and comes in a bottle and it is like a foam...my son tried and said it burned too much so we are sticking to aloe and ice.

Hmm... say good luck to your son from me (or, to be less creepy, just send the good luck vibes his way.) It's so awesome that your keeping up a log for him. Oh my God, all that stuff he had to go through before accutane makes my face burn just thinking about it - youch.

thanks for the good luck vibes...we can use them :D

His face never bothered him using all those products! He also had tried Ziana and Aczone! Yep we have a huggge basket filled with perscriptions! Luckily we have very good insurance and the dr gave us a lot of rebate cards so some of them were free :D

I would just suggest washing twice per day.. when waking up for school and then 12 hours later, as he gets further along he will be come more dry and washing three times a day may become irritating and also just keep it simple. I would use the same face wash, cetaphil rather than changing back and forth and just let the accutane to do it's thing and also have him drinks lot and lots of water, he should be just fine.

Hi Mom2Teen!

Thanks for your response...you are so sweet! I am not sure what the doctor will increase his dosage too. He is 5 ft 6 in and weighs 120...so she can go has high as 55mg...40mg sounds doable...when your dosage doubled did you have a bad breakout??

I actually broke out a little bit worse for the first two months- the 40 might have caused a brief breakout, but I really noticed a dramatic improvement a little while after my dosage increased, maybe around 70 days or so. I didn't have any real side effects on the 20 or 30 mg, so then my derm let me go up to 40. She refuses to go any higher (I originally wanted to try 60 mg,) but I am slightly smaller than your son. :) Also in regards to face washing- I have been washing my face only once a day- at night- throughout my course. My skin gets red and dry much more easily, especially after washing, but it calms down and absorbs the moisturizer overnight, so I wake up with my best skin. Then I just put on sunscreen over it. This has worked really well for me, especially since my skin produces virtually no oil on accutane. And yes, its verrrryryyyy nice to not have to use all kinds of antibiotic creams. I have a giant bottle of that foamy stuff- i think its evoclin, and hope I won't need it ever again! I guess itll be nice to just keep all that junk on hand for skin emergencies.. I have a whole box too, easily!

I would just suggest washing twice per day.. when waking up for school and then 12 hours later, as he gets further along he will be come more dry and washing three times a day may become irritating and also just keep it simple. I would use the same face wash, cetaphil rather than changing back and forth and just let the accutane to do it's thing and also have him drinks lot and lots of water, he should be just fine.

I think you are right to only wash 2 times a day...the dr was concerned since he has PE in the middle of the day...Luckily yesterday was the last day of that for the summer so he will stick to twice now. Thanks for the advice:)

Day 19

Outbreak from yesterday is almost clear...this is amazing! His lips were looking a little dry today but not peeling like last week.

Keep your fingers crossed for no break outs tomorrow...he has his 8th grade promotion dance tomorrow!!

Thanks

Hi mom2teen1996! I saw a previous post where you stated your son's skin was peeling. I'm in my third week so I believe we're about in the same part of treatment. I definitely would only suggest washing twice a day, maximum. More than that is too much for skin on Accutane, I believe. I wash only once a day and rinse with water in the mornings. However, since he has PE, I can see the issue. I would suggest buying a gentle cleansing cloth for after his PE class, if he doesn't mind. I have tried several, including Neutrogena and Clean & Clear. However, I have found the Noxema Wet Cleansing Cloths (I believe that's what they're called) to be the most gentle and least drying. There's no rinsing required so it's convenient.

Also, for dry skin, I would highly recommend Cetaphil cream (not lotion). I have had minimal peeling and only on my nose. I apply the cream anywhere my face feels very tight and dry, even after my regular moisturizer (Olay Complete Sensitive Skin). I hope this is somewhat helpful!

Hi mom2teen1996! I saw a previous post where you stated your son's skin was peeling. I'm in my third week so I believe we're about in the same part of treatment. I definitely would only suggest washing twice a day, maximum. More than that is too much for skin on Accutane, I believe. I wash only once a day and rinse with water in the mornings. However, since he has PE, I can see the issue. I would suggest buying a gentle cleansing cloth for after his PE class, if he doesn't mind. I have tried several, including Neutrogena and Clean & Clear. However, I have found the Noxema Wet Cleansing Cloths (I believe that's what they're called) to be the most gentle and least drying. There's no rinsing required so it's convenient.

Also, for dry skin, I would highly recommend Cetaphil cream (not lotion). I have had minimal peeling and only on my nose. I apply the cream anywhere my face feels very tight and dry, even after my regular moisturizer (Olay Complete Sensitive Skin). I hope this is somewhat helpful!

Thanks for the advice...he is now just washing 2 times a day since PE is over until September...I didn't know Cetaphil comes in a cream I am gonna goto Target now and buy some. His peeling is only under the nose but that is where the majority of his break out is now. He is lucky his cheeks have never had acne. He is on day 22 now. I will be following you it sounds like you started at the same time.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice...he is now just washing 2 times a day since PE is over until September...I didn't know Cetaphil comes in a cream I am gonna goto Target now and buy some. His peeling is only under the nose but that is where the majority of his break out is now. He is lucky his cheeks have never had acne. He is on day 22 now. I will be following you it sounds like you started at the same time.

Good luck!

I like Cetaphil lotion, too, but it's not cutting it with this dry skin. After I shower, I usually apply Palmer's Cocoa Butter (which I swear by) and lately, apply Cetaphil cream to my knees, elbows, and other dry areas. It keeps my skin moisturized all day long! I apply a lot of Cetaphil cream at night and when I wake up, my face is pretty soft! Good luck to him! :)

Day 23

My son's face has been amazing!!! He has had no break-outs in the last 5 days. His face looked great for his 8th grade promotion dance! Yesterday he got complimented on his complexion from a friend's parent that doesn't know he is on accutane!!! He was beaming!

He goes for blood work on Saturday and to the dermatologist on Monday...I am wondering if they will increase his dosage since he is only on 20mg and can go as high as 55mg.

Thanks everyone for reading and I will keep updating!

That sounds very good mom.

I wish my mom cared about my acne as you. +1 for that.

I'm guessing they will increase him to 40. I hope i get around the same results when i start my accutane.

Day 27

We went for blood work today and have the dermatologist appointment on Monday. I am actually excited for them to see how well my son's face is looking! He has had no new pimples in the past 5 days and his lips are not really dry anymore...just aquafor 2 times a day now! I never thought 4 weeks ago his skin would look this great!

I can only hope this medication helps everyone on here as much as it has my son! I will update after the dr appt and tell you all if they raise his dosage!

It sounds like his course is progressing spectacularly! Definitely nip the peeling in the bud. Aquaphor IS great, but so is plain old petroleum jelly. It can even be applied in the shower so some of the petroleum jelly will be slightly softened and rinse away but the soothing ability and hydration will last for hours.

Since he's doing so well with minimal side effects, he might not even need a dosage increase. The lower the dose, the fewer the side effects.

It's great that people are noticing his complexion; I'm sure that's a huge boost for him. Kudos to you, mom, for caring and supporting him.

Day 30

Went to the dermatologist yesterday, the doctor was quite impressed with my son's progress. He said he has responded very well. He does not for see any more big breakouts like we did during the first few weeks. he said that usually the first month is the most breakouts and since he is competely clear now it should be really mild if anything decides to pop up:) I think its been more than 10 days that my son has even had a new pimple. Everything is gone. (my 11 year old daughter said to him to day "wow your skin looks normal like mine!!!) The dr didn't see a reason to increase the dose but would like to next month. If he continued at 20mg he would need to be on it for 12 months! Still no side effects just keeping the lips with something on them at all times and blood work was great!

I only wish this journey on accutane was this easy for everyone!!

Day 33

My son had 1 pimple appear 2 days ago..its already gone! Everything else is still going great so nothing new to report! I think back to last summer and all the prescriptions he was on both antibiotics and tons of different topicals and just can't believe how wonderful this is:)

Mom2teen1996, I'm sure you are just overjoyed that your son's skin is clearing up! I bet his self-confidence is just skyrocketing! I am so incredibly happy that Accutane is working such wonders for you and him, both! I know what you mean about all the topicals and disappointment. For me, I always left the dermatologist's office thinking, "THIS IS IT! This is the medicine that will fix my acne!"

Anyway, just wanted to stop by and say congratulations for having such great progress so soon! I am sure it will just get better and better!