Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bdonpowerlifter

question about cumulative dose

I have a quick question about the cumulative dose of accutane for the course. As long as you reach the optimal cumulative dose (I think between 120 and 150 mg/kg), does it matter how you get there? For example, if I stayed on 40mg a day for like 6 1/2 months instead of going up to a higher dosage and doing 5 months, would it matter as long as I got the cumulative dose right? I am 115 pounds and on week 2 of 40mg a day. I would really like to stay on 40 the whole time and do just a little over 6 months (rather than the 5 months my derm wants me to do but move up to a higher dose over the course). If I did that my cumulative dose would be about 7700mg for about 6 months and 12 days on 40 a day (150 mg/kg). I am wondering if there would be less of a chance of relapse if I did the last 2 or 3 months at 60, instead of doing a longer course at only 40mg a day. I really don't want to go up because I don't want the side effects to get even worse. I already have pretty dry skin and terribly chapped lips.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter as long as you reach your cumulative dose.

My derm said that if I wanted nasty, nasty side effects I could hypothetically finish my course in 4 months.

However, he said the norm is 6 months because they want to build up to a high dose so you don't get ridiculously bad side effects.