Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Citrine

Burdock extract

I can't beleive that I have not seen anybody post anything about Burdock Extract on this site! For all who are like me and have been struggling for nearly 15 years, try this:

Taken internally, drink half to an entire bottle of Burdock Extract to clear your skin.

The two catches to my miracle:

1) It is possibly the worst tasting thing known to man or to woman, and

2) It is rediculously expensive (average $10 per bottle)

I usually try to buy it online in bulk in order to alleviate the price, and drink it with apple juice. Some forms are sold without the alcohol that is mixed in with the extract, but I ironically find these to not work as well. Half a bottle every day to every other day should be sufficient (I do half a bottle, once in a while a whole bottle when my acne gets really bad). It takes about two days to see the difference.

This works because it clears out the crap from your blood that circulates to your face. When stressed or when lacking sleep, I generally tend to break out the most, and burdock is the only thing that helps.

There are capsule forms as well, but these do not really seem to do anything, other than general maintenence (which, for me, is really not enough).

Exfoliation is so HUGE also in conjunction with this. Follow up with your general external regime.

If you are considering oral care, you may wish to consider this first, even though it is really expensive. Oral medications did not work for me, nor did perscriptions. The key is that less is not more in this circumstance. The worse your acne, the more often you want to take it. I don't know if you are safe to take more than a bottle a day (I'm afraid to and I don't recommend that anybody be the first to try!) but taking the recommended dosage on the bottle, which is about two eyedroppers, is not enough for really stubborn acne.

Good luck!

Guest Scarlett Skies

Be careful, you don't need to take any more than a teaspoon or two of Burdock tincture/extract in a glass of water each day or twice a day.

A full bottle is NOT good for you.

It is meant to work over time, over a period of a few months to see results. It's not a quick fix.

Thank you Scarlett Skies. I should be more specific.

This is not something to do all the time: Larger amounts of burdock once in a while, smaller (ten drop) dosages for regular maintenance. The mega dosages (up to half a bottle, let’s say, as that is what I do and what my dermatologist gave me the green light to do) are for only when you are way out of control (i.e. times of PMS; lack of sleep; major stress; humidity), no more than two times a week, and for no more than two weeks at a time (so up to four times in one week). Never take anything in excess that your body does not need. Take the smaller “normal†dosages in between. This mega dosage is only for times when your body cannot handle the junk that is inside of it.

But I would like to mention a few things in regard to Scarlett Skies precaution:

1. First, as mentioned, the mega dosage is really for when your acne is just way out of control, at the boiling point of eruption, etc. Smaller dosages, sometimes just a little bit more, are good for daily maintenance. Do not run out and down a few bottles of this stuff! However, sometimes your body needs the extra push. This is why the regular dosage is not just enough.

2. Pretty much what science has decided on burdock is that they do not know very much. Yet, another reason not to down a few bottles at a time! I would be afraid to take more than a bottle, and I've only used an entire bottle on two occasions, but to be frank, the acne medications I was on in minor doses proved to be severely more hazardous to my health (permanent kidney problems and major abuse to my liver) and actually made my skin worse over time.

I don’t know what happened after one bottle, so don’t try it at home, kids! My derm cleared half the bottle, but, I never mentioned the two times that I took the whole bottle, so I don’t have a clear on that one.

There actually is a site detailing possible side effects or hazards to excess of herbs, so I will share:

3. This will help cystic acne only, but does not do much for white heads or black heads.

4. Another precaution: The taste is so repulsive, I cannot image anyone actually going out of their way to drink more than you need!

The trick to this is helping your body out to do what it is supposed to do. If, over the course of two weeks (that means taking a slightly larger dosage, no more than half the bottle, up to four times over the course of 14 days) you do not see an improvement, then it is not doing anything for you and you do not see any improvement, then it just doesn’t work for you and you should not take it. I used to do other cleanses, but this one is great for when needed.

After a day or two, I experience an increase in voidance and notice that, if I have had any sort of body odor, it has gone away or lessened. (If you notice body odor accompanying your acne, then you also might be a good prototype for this). I’m more awake and more relaxed. I breath better. The more your acne calms, the less you need to take. You can take the regular maintenance amount, but once in a while your body just needs to be flushed of all of the crap.

It took my five years to come up with this system to see what really worked for me. I started with the minimal dosages, which helped, but found that after a couple of years of using this, when your body has a lot of build-up, it needs a bit of extra help. Balance is the key to everything, so work out what is gentle enough on your body, but aggressive enough on your acne.

Scarlett Star: Actually caution to you as well. I see in your signature that you take Acutane. Be careful with that one! I’ve heard that one doing more harm than good in the long run, but some people have been okay with it.

Good luck!

Guest Scarlett Skies

Hi Citrine,

I mention this to you because I am an Herbology student and I have never even heard of taking such large amounts! My teacher has cautioned against it, and in my herbal book it says "take only 2-4ml of burdock Tincture 3 times per day".

You can combine it with Nettle, Red Clover or Cleavers to make it even more effective.

If the mega doses works for you and you got the go ahead from your derm that's fine, but I don't think dermatologists get any kind of formal natural/herbal training!

As for your caution against Accutane, I know where you're coming from trust me! I wish I could have found another solution but 10 years ago when I first took Accutane it was the ONLY thing that worked for me. I know I'm taking a risk but it's a risk I feel like it is worth taking because of the impact troublesome skin has on my life. When I get off Accutane I'm going to really take it easy with my body and do some cleanses and supplement to counteract some of the negative effects.

Good Luck with Burdock!

I can't beleive that I have not seen anybody post anything about Burdock Extract on this site! For all who are like me and have been struggling for nearly 15 years, try this:

Taken internally, drink half to an entire bottle of Burdock Extract to clear your skin.

The two catches to my miracle:

1) It is possibly the worst tasting thing known to man or to woman, and

2) It is rediculously expensive (average $10 per bottle)

I usually try to buy it online in bulk in order to alleviate the price, and drink it with apple juice. Some forms are sold without the alcohol that is mixed in with the extract, but I ironically find these to not work as well. Half a bottle every day to every other day should be sufficient (I do half a bottle, once in a while a whole bottle when my acne gets really bad). It takes about two days to see the difference.

This works because it clears out the crap from your blood that circulates to your face. When stressed or when lacking sleep, I generally tend to break out the most, and burdock is the only thing that helps.

There are capsule forms as well, but these do not really seem to do anything, other than general maintenence (which, for me, is really not enough).

Exfoliation is so HUGE also in conjunction with this. Follow up with your general external regime.

If you are considering oral care, you may wish to consider this first, even though it is really expensive. Oral medications did not work for me, nor did perscriptions. The key is that less is not more in this circumstance. The worse your acne, the more often you want to take it. I don't know if you are safe to take more than a bottle a day (I'm afraid to and I don't recommend that anybody be the first to try!) but taking the recommended dosage on the bottle, which is about two eyedroppers, is not enough for really stubborn acne.

Good luck!

In the herbal world and maybe more mainstream now, burdock is regarded as a blood purifier.

Burdock has been mentioned on this forum before, though a long time ago, check the archives if there is a facility.

I remember I used a milk thistle supplement (which had burdock root extract in it too) and it was amazing, I had great results and it helped clear my skin very quickly!

Though I advise that when one is using milk thistle, burdock etc. that there should be a sufficient intake of fibre so that the toxins which are released (from the liver and blood) have an exit (via the colon).

Hi Citrine,

I mention this to you because I am an Herbology student and I have never even heard of taking such large amounts! My teacher has cautioned against it, and in my herbal book it says "take only 2-4ml of burdock Tincture 3 times per day".

You can combine it with Nettle, Red Clover or Cleavers to make it even more effective.

If the mega doses works for you and you got the go ahead from your derm that's fine, but I don't think dermatologists get any kind of formal natural/herbal training!

As for your caution against Accutane, I know where you're coming from trust me! I wish I could have found another solution but 10 years ago when I first took Accutane it was the ONLY thing that worked for me. I know I'm taking a risk but it's a risk I feel like it is worth taking because of the impact troublesome skin has on my life. When I get off Accutane I'm going to really take it easy with my body and do some cleanses and supplement to counteract some of the negative effects.

Good Luck with Burdock!

Thank you, Scarlett Skies! I'm actually really am very interested in your take on Burdock. I've tried the yellow dock, the red clover and nettles, but nothing seems to work like the burdock, and I'm not sure why. I'm really glad that you said something, too, because I think that I sounded like this was something to do daily, and I only mean that it works at the worst points of acne.

I'm glad to hear that the Accutane is working for you. I get nervous when I hear anybody mentioning taking Accutane since I've had so many bad experiences with acne medication, but then again, nothing makes you feel worse in life than two things: acne and unrequited love! So, if it is working for you, go for it!

If you feel like sharing, I'm just curious on your herbal take on acne as well, including other herbs.