Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChemSoln

How many times can you use cleanser a day?

My skin type: I have very oily face, sensitive skin, but little acne (thanks to the regimen).

I am wondering how many times is it OK to use cleanser and moisturizer for your face?

The standard is 2x a day, once in the morning and another at night. But lately the warm weather has been making my face very oily and I would like to use cleanser/moisturizer 3-4x a day.

Will there be any bad side effects of using cleanser/moisturizer that much?

What do you guys think of oil blotting paper? It does over dry the areas so I prefer just to use cleanser.

If you use the cleanser more that twice a day you are likely to irritate the skin, and also you will also be washing off some of the BP, which could both cause breakouts. I would just very gently pat off any excess oil with a tissue during the day if you need to.

^ Agreed. Blotting off the oil will help a lot. You don't have to go out and buy any of those "special" blotting papers. Cheapie brown hand paper, toilet tissue, and stashes of napkins from restaurants will do the trick. ;)

Yep, just wash your face twice a day and remove excess oil with a tissue. It works and you and your skin get used to it.

Agreed with everyone else above. Technically, you can use a cleanser as many times as you want. But the usual suggested amount is x2 a day - once when you wake up; once before bed - like you stated. Any more than that, no matter if it's hot outside, could irritate your face. It can also encourage your face to produce even more oil. You can buy some fancy cotton pads to carry around in your purse (Idk if you're a girl) or pocket, or you can just use regular ol' napkins. I wouldn't suggest toilet paper though 'cause it could leave small strands of cotton on your skin which may irritate it.