Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I just wanted to throw my situation out there and see if anyone with moderate/severe acne has had long term results with the holistic approach.

In the past, I have been able to approach my physical ailments with naturopathic medicine with great success. This year, however, my mild acne flared into intense cysts and inflammation on my cheeks, sometimes forehead, and chin. I usually have around 15-20 actives. Its become so depressing, I know many of you can relate as I have been reading the blogs obsessively for the past month searching for answers.

Usually I can see a pattern with diet (sugar, carbs, gluten, dairy) and my breakouts. But I don't know what to do topically... I started seeing an estithitician who gave me (not gave- totaled around 150 bucks!!) :doh: The wash is eucalyptus, but it has soy in it (which I thought was weird since soy seems to aggravate acne), salicylic pads that hurt like a mofo to apply (5%) and a moisturizer. I recently stopped using what she gave me and have been using a salt water wash, apple cider vinegar as a toner and either jojoba oil or another moistorizer after. But, my skin is still freaked out, especially one side of my face.

I am currently taking ACV as a supplement- 3-6 oz a day with water, a ton of enzymes with probiotics at meals, fish oil (recently moved and haven't taken consistently for a week). Today I just started taking zinc and am wondering if I should take Vitamin D as well. My diet is about 99% clean. By 99% I mean no gluten, sugar, dairy, wheat most of the time- I eat something sugary or have a drink about once a week and end up with a flare up.

I am very recalcitrant to go on birth control- although I have been prescribed Yaz for acne, or Accutane as I have read the many negative side effects. Am I being foolish? These measures just seem like they would not root out the real problem of the acne- but desperate times call for desperate measures.

I will post pics to this soon, but if anyone has had long term results with holistic treatment, please let me know. I really want to heal naturally, as I feel that the acne is a symptom of other issues. I had bulimia for ten years, and after that would binge on sugar, so I am sure that that has greatly influenced my cystic acne. I think I may have candida overgrowth-- I am not sure. All I know is I want to stop crying about this, feeling insecure, and battling these huge nasty breakouts! My attitude about it has decreasingly gone down hill as I have tried sooo many things to no avail.

Also, the estithician I was seeing "lances" my pimples, I had been doing this about twice a month for a couple months, and am now left with severe scarring- I can't believe she didn't realize she was doing this! At $100 dollars a session, I am left with worse scars than if they would have healed naturally which is so incredibly aggravating. Does anyone know an affective way to get rid of redmarks/scars?

Thanks!

for redmarks and scars I would use peels.

Glycolic for marks and TCA for scars.

ramiejae25,

i was usin homeopathic medicines for about 2-3 months..but the cost kept rising n i couldn't afford anymore))smtimes i feel i shud hv finished the course.a fren got completely acne -free usin those medicines....so i stopped and went for hard-core accutane..helped during the course..but i used to drink alot n ma nose used to bleed like anythin..so had to reduce the dose..n after the course got over my face began to have red spots..n acne came back(but i feel had i been monitored by a doc, the accutane cud hv surely helped..coz never visited a doc n got the accutane without prescription..anyways the redness is slowly fading away..

you shud surely try accutane..but see a doc first..

and yeah drinking(consuming alcohol) surely affected my face..used to have break outs after a session..n maybe becoz when drunk i used to do crazy things n neglect ma skin care regime..now i've quit(with God's help) n i seem to be doin better..

i was also using acv..lemon..aloe vera..garlic...they seemed to help but the most important thing is moisturising the face after every wash..i use lacto calamine Caladryl..really helps..i don't use any other topical applications..just put a large amount of it n go abt with life))

hope this helps..see a doc before u get accutane..

ramiejae25,

i was usin homeopathic medicines for about 2-3 months..but the cost kept rising n i couldn't afford anymore))smtimes i feel i shud hv finished the course.a fren got completely acne -free usin those medicines....so i stopped and went for hard-core accutane..helped during the course..but i used to drink alot n ma nose used to bleed like anythin..so had to reduce the dose..n after the course got over my face began to have red spots..n acne came back(but i feel had i been monitored by a doc, the accutane cud hv surely helped..coz never visited a doc n got the accutane without prescription..anyways the redness is slowly fading away..

and yeah drinking(consuming alcohol) surely affected my face..used to have break outs after a session..n maybe becoz when drunk i used to do crazy things n neglect ma skin care regime..now i've quit(with God's help) n i seem to be doin better..

i was also using acv..lemon..aloe vera..garlic...they seemed to help but the most important thing is moisturising the face after every wash..i use lacto calamine Caladryl..really helps..i don't use any other topical applications..just put a large amount of it n go abt with life))

Hey-

Thank you for your response. I will continue to consider accutane, although I don't know that it will solve the problem completely by itself, as you say here you had to go back on it--

The last two days I haven't had any new spots- and I havent been eating as clean as i would like either--but I did start taking enzymes for digestion and apple cider vinegar- this seems to be helping immenssely. Part of my problem is that whenever I eat sugar I freak out,t hinking I will get a break out, and end up throwing up- this problem has set me back in recovering from an eating disorder- which is a seperate topic and dangerous, I know, in and of itself.

I guess we are all a work in progress though, eh?

I am going to look into calamine also, but for right now the ACV seems to be doing miracles for my skin... I wonder also if I shoudl start seeing a counselor for support for both this issue and the bulimia.

Thanks for your input on accutane- it is a wonder to me that people have to go on it several timess0 I have heard this can cause joint problems? I dont know.

Thanks for the reply, best of luck, hang in there!

ramiejae25,

Hey-

Thank you for your response. I will continue to consider accutane, although I don't know that it will solve the problem completely by itself, as you say here you had to go back on it--

The last two days I haven't had any new spots- and I havent been eating as clean as i would like either--but I did start taking enzymes for digestion and apple cider vinegar- this seems to be helping immenssely. Part of my problem is that whenever I eat sugar I freak out,t hinking I will get a break out, and end up throwing up- this problem has set me back in recovering from an eating disorder- which is a seperate topic and dangerous, I know, in and of itself.

I am going to look into calamine also, but for right now the ACV seems to be doing miracles for my skin... I wonder also if I shoudl start seeing a counselor for support for both this issue and the bulimia.

Thanks for your input on accutane- it is a wonder to me that people have to go on it several timess0 I have heard this can cause joint problems? I dont know.

That is amazing that you have had such success with low sugar. I know it is hard to avoid it all together. There was a time that I was trying a diet call The Body Ecology Diet; it kept a very low sugar and carb intake. It focused on food combining-- what foods and when to eat them. I lost a considerable amount of weight, but the acne did not seem to improve after many months..

I did have to repeat accutane twice. I do have some joint problems now, but hard to know for sure if they are related.

ramiejae25,

Hey-

That is amazing that you have had such success with low sugar. I know it is hard to avoid it all together. There was a time that I was trying a diet call The Body Ecology Diet; it kept a very low sugar and carb intake. It focused on food combining-- what foods and when to eat them. I lost a considerable amount of weight, but the acne did not seem to improve after many months..

I did have to repeat accutane twice. I do have some joint problems now, but hard to know for sure if they are related.

Hey Snugs

I just went to a naturopathic doctor this last week, and I do have candida overgrowth, which, when I wrote this initially, I did not realize that is why sugar makes me break out so badly. I am on supplements to kill the candida, which will hopefully work, and have limited sugar intake immensely, am trying to follow an anti candida diet, but it is hard, like you mentioned.

I am also drinking the probiotic drink Kefir and soon will start drinking Kombucha- both replace the healthy flora in the body that acne sufferers are missing.

i've tried a number of natural approaches and nothing worked for me. i'm a very minimalist, natural type of girl usually but i just realized that that road doesn't work for me and i need to go on something stronger. maybe you need to do the same.

in a prescription type world if i really really don't need to be on some type of medication i try to avoid it but i can't seem to solve this any other way so why not try the marvels of the modern world and chances are that i'll be clear which would be awesome.

also, why jump directly to accutane? and not try something in the middle ground first? i just started differin so we'll see how that works out. maybe a retinoid alone will work out for you, maybe in combination with something else. if all else fails then consider accutane.

i do think this site is sometimes just horendous because we come on here and all these people of i hate retinoid, or accutane is the devil, etc. but you gotta keep in mind that these products do work without any major issues for the majortiy of people out there (probably in the great thousands) as opposed to the minority of 1k of people that seem to be on here.

i've tried a number of natural approaches and nothing worked for me. i'm a very minimalist, natural type of girl usually but i just realized that that road doesn't work for me and i need to go on something stronger. maybe you need to do the same.

in a prescription type world if i really really don't need to be on some type of medication i try to avoid it but i can't seem to solve this any other way so why not try the marvels of the modern world and chances are that i'll be clear which would be awesome.

also, why jump directly to accutane? and not try something in the middle ground first? i just started differin so we'll see how that works out. maybe a retinoid alone will work out for you, maybe in combination with something else. if all else fails then consider accutane.

i do think this site is sometimes just horendous because we come on here and all these people of i hate retinoid, or accutane is the devil, etc. but you gotta keep in mind that these products do work without any major issues for the majortiy of people out there (probably in the great thousands) as opposed to the minority of 1k of people that seem to be on here.

hey Special

since I posted this blog I have seen a different naturopath. I have an overgrowth of candida. I changed my diet,a nd will continue to do so as well as cleansing/cleaning out the overgrowth. Since I changed my diet I have had no new breakouts. I also sstarted using only aloe vera on my skin. This has greatly reduced scarring, and is making the pimples dry up. So i would say that the natural method is, actually working now. Also I went on retina A and an antibiotic before and they did not hel my condition.

Thanks so much for the post, hope your battle is going well.

J