Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xena467

A Warning About Tea Tree Oil

Hi

I've read a few posts around here that advocate the use of tea tree oil for acne. I just wanted to mention my experience with it. Now I know it's an ingredient in soaps and lotions, but when I first heard about it I went out and bought a bottle of pure tee tree oil.

Now I wouldn't touch the stuff with a ten foot pole.

The vapors from it messed me up completely. I was acting strange, thinking strange, and doing weird things. I turned from a normal person to a mental person in less than a week after applying this stuff to my cheeks and chin every day.

It's hard to find information about this effect online. Most sites will tout tea tree oil as a natural healing agent, a natural antiseptic, nature's own "turpentine."

Therein lies a clue.

Tea tree oil is a very strong agent that shares many properties with turpentine. Some have said it smells like pine sol. So it's not far off to suggest that it can act as a pretty bad inhalant too. In fact, one forum I found on inhalants had a post where one individual suggested using tea tree oil as a natural way to get high. Thus suggesting that it can affect the brain.

Wikopedia also indicates that taking this internally can lead to toxicity involving hallucinations,delusions and confusion. I wasn't taking it internally, but another site I read said you shouldn't apply this to the area around your mouth, which i was doing to get rid of chin acne and pimples around my lips.

One individual on another forum indicated that tea tree oil messed him up when his grandmother suggested he take a tea tree oil bath.

Another site indicated that 3 boys who used this stuff experienced breast enlargement. It was gone within a few months of discontinuing use.

So the evidence is pretty anectodal, and I don't expect everyone on this forum to agree with me about it. It has been known to work for millions of people, people who probably use it in the form of soaps or lotions that contain other ingredients to make it not as potent.

But yeah, I wouldn't touch the stuff, even if it was one of a few ingredients.

http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/jan2007/niehs-31.htm

Tea tree oil is also associated with the development of linear IgA disease when applied topically.[123]

Be advised that all topicals do require due diligence in their usage. High concentrations of tea tree oil (more than 5%) can lead to blistering skin conditions due to immune reactions.

AH, Dang

Thankfully I do Not apply Tea Tree Neat to my skin, never had the inclination nor the gumption to in the first place!

Saying that, I Find it works Very well in Soap based form. I use Manuka Honey and Tea Tree Oil soaps. which are paraben and fragrance free. also they are mild, therefore I do not think it would cause any adverse reactions such as you described!

Like one user said, Don't consume them and you'll be fine! also never put anything from it's purest form i.e Neat onto your skin. it will undoubtedly cause you severe problems!

I'm just surprised you never experienced burning sensations or increase in Redness.

Be smart, Be safe and Be Skin-Happy.

See ya

Edited by Durbaniter~Zitigated

You don't have to drink the tea tree oil!! :D

My recommendation is to mix a little with a moisturizer. You can also use it on hard areas to kill bastards, but not in the whole face.

Edited by Corsair

With all due respect, i don't think Tea Tree can give you weird thoughts. Maybe you have a bigger issue than Acne :ninja:

With all due respect, i don't think Tea Tree can give you weird thoughts. Maybe you have a bigger issue than Acne :ninja:

Yeah I figured one of you might come to that conclusion. But honestly, I'd never had such strange thoughts as I'd had after I'd tried the tea tree oil. No history of mental illness, nothing. I figure I was just hypersensitive to the scent of it. I don't usually wear perfumes or spray any scents into the air. And tea tree oil STINKS. At least the pure oil does. I had thought just dabbing it on my skin wouldn't be a problem. And I applied it continuously because all I seemed to read from websites was how wonderful it was for acne sufferers. But apparently the smell was too strong even with a minimal application. I guess even external applications can cause interfere with brain function. At least in my case.

It was a cumulative effect too, that happened over a period of days. It wasn't just a simple one time application and then I went nutty and thought "I better stop the tea tree oil." It just snuck up on me :P

So yeah, I suffered pretty serious consequences because of some innocent acne research.

I assure you, I'm not a fruit basket :P

Yeah I figured one of you might come to that conclusion. But honestly, I'd never had such strange thoughts as I'd had after I'd tried the tea tree oil. No history of mental illness, nothing. I figure I was just hypersensitive to the scent of it. I don't usually wear perfumes or spray any scents into the air. And tea tree oil STINKS. At least the pure oil does. I had thought just dabbing it on my skin wouldn't be a problem. And I applied it continuously because all I seemed to read from websites was how wonderful it was for acne sufferers. But apparently the smell was too strong even with a minimal application. I guess even external applications can cause interfere with brain function. At least in my case.

It was a cumulative effect too, that happened over a period of days. It wasn't just a simple one time application and then I went nutty and thought "I better stop the tea tree oil." It just snuck up on me :P

So yeah, I suffered pretty serious consequences because of some innocent acne research.

I assure you, I'm not a fruit basket :P

Ha ha, I never had any doubt in my mind that you were a basket case..

:crazy2:

just kidding ;) So out of curiosity, did you stop using it then? I mean The soap-based alternatives are Ace! they work Very well for me. I never have to use an expensive store bought or over the counter face wash ever again! I'm sticking to these for life. they are Brill.

Yeah, I stopped using it. You do have my curiosity piqued at the soap though. But I try not to get fanatical about face washes. I just wash with water now. My skin stays fairly clear with a good diet.

Though it's still healing from a few breakouts I got from cheating on the weekend. It'll take at least a week to clear up. Such is life I guess.

Tea tree oil kill bacteria but as preventive stuff. BP is better than TTO and it is use in Dan's regimen.

There is no solution for acne, just you cure by yourself or follow a regimen. C'est la vie.