Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone have experience with Spiro? and who can prescribe it? Derm, gyno, primary doctor? I was taking Yaz a couple years ago for my PMDD. It helped to clear my skin, but after a few months I started going a little loco. :crazy: I'm thinking it's time to try out a new hormone regulator.

Thanks!

A lot of people here have experience with spiro. Any doctor can prescribe it, including primary care. Depending on your state's prescribing laws, nurse practitioners or physician assistants may also be able to prescribe it.

A lot of people here have experience with spiro. Any doctor can prescribe it, including primary care. Depending on your state's prescribing laws, nurse practitioners or physician assistants may also be able to prescribe it.

:gimme:

Hi there,

Glad you're looking into spiro :) I really think you'll like it. There is a huge thread on it and lots of reviews too. I'm nearly 4 months in and loving it! My derm prescribes it for me. Some derms are hesitant to prescribe, so you might want to ask before you go to the appointment.

Hi there,

Glad you're looking into spiro :) I really think you'll like it. There is a huge thread on it and lots of reviews too. I'm nearly 4 months in and loving it! My derm prescribes it for me. Some derms are hesitant to prescribe, so you might want to ask before you go to the appointment.

That's wonderful. I'm glad to hear it's working for you.

Why are they hesitant?

Hi there,

That's wonderful. I'm glad to hear it's working for you.

Why are they hesitant?

I think I read somewhere that doctors and derms are hesitant to prescribe it to women of the child-bearing age. If you are someone who is planning to have children soon, they won't prescribe it to you which is why many doctors will prescribe BC along with spiro. Spiro can cause birth defects.

Plus there can be major side effects. Regular blood tests should be done to monitor your electrolytes since spiro is a potassium-sparing diuretic. It is also a blood pressure medication (due partly to the diuresis) and thus people can experience an unwanted drop in blood pressure. Also a person taking spiro should increase fluid intake to avoid dehydration. Dehydration can land you in the hospital.

I'm going to the dermatologist tomorrow. Its been a few years since I've been there. But I've tried EVERYTHING. Nothing has worked.. I was interested in spiro. But nervous about the side effects... can anyone leave more details about it?

thanks!!

I'm going to the dermatologist tomorrow. Its been a few years since I've been there. But I've tried EVERYTHING. Nothing has worked.. I was interested in spiro. But nervous about the side effects... can anyone leave more details about it?

thanks!!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR602595

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/spironolactone-side-effects.html

Remember that not all people experience side effects, some experience none at all.