Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

Is ALCAT like the "scratch test" offered at allergy clinics?

I was thinking about taking an ALCAT test to find out if I had other underlying food sensitivities.

However, I am wondering if ALCAT is basically the same test as the "scratch test" offered at allergy clinics in the US. Basically, the nurse scratches or pricks your skin with 20 various foods ranging from beef to gluten.

I paid $700 for a scratch test and was told I had no sensitivities. Then, the doctor told me that scratch tests are frequently wrong. :wall:

I understand that ALCAT requires a few drops of blood collected at home. I am very interested in ALCAT but is it the same underlying test as a scratch test?

Edited by Dotty1

The ROBOCat II instrument is an automated liquid handling system

designed to measure blood cells using the electronic principle of

particle counting and sizing (measuring changes in electrical

resistance produced by a blood cell suspended in a conductive

liquid traversing a small aperture). The unit consists of an XYZ robotic

sample processor (belt driven, stepper motor controlled on X and Y

axises and air driven Z axis), air driven modular syringe pump with 3-

port distribution valve, vacuum/pressure pump, solenoid valves for

ow control, 12 and 24 VDC linear power supplies, aperture Plate

(reading area) and a main controller board that communicates with

the front-end PC via the RS232 port. All components are modular

thus allowing easy access for troubleshooting and replacement. The

software is compatible with all versions of Microsoft Windows. The

instrument is manufactured using Good Manufacturing Practices in a

FDA Registered Medical Device Establishment (facility registration

number: 1051901).

From: https://www.alcat.com/thetechnology.html So, it's a blood sample.

Here's another link

I called ALCAT and they answered a lot of my questions. I'll share what I learned below:

ALCAT has an 86% accuracy of pinpointing food sensitivities. Because of the way they instruct you to handle differing levels of food sensitivities, they said the accuracy can be 100%. Their chemical sensitivity accuracy is 96%.

They will give you a list of foods broken down by severity. Mild triggers should not be eaten more than once every four days. Moderate and severe triggers should be avoided for 6 months before being reintroduced into the diet. Some severe triggers will remain with people for life. There is usually a 98% chance that you can reintroduce the trigger food again later.

It appears that each of the three tests listed below have their own niche in the world of food sensitivities and you should take the test that fits your symptoms.

The difference between sensitivity tests:

The Scratch Test or Type 1 Reaction (offered as an "allergy test" at most hospitals)

This is actually not a test for people with acne (yet doctors administer it anyway :rolleyes:. It tests histamine release and is meant for people who have immediate symptoms after eating trigger foods such as hives, burning lips and anaphylaxis. 99% of people know what caused the reaction. Only 3% of the population has this reaction to anything.

scratch test - ige test type 1 reaction - histamine release - itchy, anaflylaxis, burning lips, 99% of people know what caused the reaction, 3% of the population have this reaction to anything

Type 2 Reaction - Delayed Reaction - ALCAT

Reaction occurs 4-24 hours after ingestion of trigger food. This is the type of reaction that might cause acne. This test reads white blood cell response (inflammatory response) before the various immuno globulins respond. ALCAT cannot detect Celiac Disease but can detect gluten sensitivity.

Stool Test - IgA Test

Counts the white blood cell count that reacts to the food while in the intestines. Can detect Celiac Disease. This test is offered by EnteroLab and another laboratory on the internet.

I talked to them for 30 minutes and took all these notes. Hopefully these help in picking a test.

Edited by Dotty1