Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yero

Rubbing Alcohol

I know this may seem counter-intuitive but after battling a combo of cystic acne and regular comedonal acne my mom told me to put rubbing alcohol on my face 2x a day. Ever since I havent had one deep cyst, and my face can tolerate salicylic acid wash then rubbing alcohol then BP. Before they would both cause me to break out in nasty cysts. Dont listen to those who say it will cause break-outs. Cystic acne is very different from comedonal acne I learned. So please anyone else who is struggling and have tried everything else, a bottle of rubbing alcohol is $1.50, its worth the try.

Glad it worked for you; it won't work for most because of the irritation factor and lack of continuing antibacterial action....and lack of unclogging pores...and lack of ability to help the skin shed more appropriately.

Don't listen to anyone about anything when it comes to acne. What may be a trigger for one person could be a cure for another. Keep an open mind when treating this disease, but at the same time be careful as you can do irreparable damage to your skin.

Rubbing alcohol contains isopropyl alcohol which kills microbes and has dehydrating properties. I'm glad it's working for you, but prolonged use could strip too much of your oils off your face which may cause your sebacious glands to go into overdrive. Use it sparingly to start with.

Scary :( Since it's definitely not formulated for use like that. The facial skin is very delicate so please keep a SHARP eye out for any negative effects. And ask your dermatologist (in an email maybe) what the negative effects could be?

Occasionally I use rubbing alcohol if I drain a pimple on my own, to prevent infection. I've also used witch hazel in the past, but that seems to make matters worse.

A while back I was so fed up with my acne. I did just about anything you could think of for it to go away. I tried almost everything on the shelves and nothing worked. I even resorted to putting rubbing alcohol all over my face. This caused my skin to get very dry which later caused it to produce even more oil than it already did (I have very oily skin by-the-way). In the long run it caused more oil to build up which caused more breakouts to occur. I don't recommend alcohol for anyone! I guess it's alright if you have a popped zit and you want to insure that all the infection is out. Whatever you do, don't put it all over your face!!

I only rubbing alcohol on my trouble spots like chin and near my nose. but if works for you, go for it but i would be careful. watch your skin and keep a journal, if you can.

In all honesty, rubbing alcohol will do worse to your skin than any form of acne can. If i'm not mistaken, the point of alcohol is to render bacteria (and other viruses) useless via degrading the protein in it's cell wall. Basically, you're ruining the cell so it can't survive or replicate. What's the difference between a bacterial cell wall and a normal healthy cell wall? Not much I presume. Alcohol, if applied to the same area cells, will ruin them. 2x a day may really hurt your skin. I'm no medical doctor but Ive used alcohol on my skin enough in the past to prove very experienced with it. I used it constantly along with peroxide because I heard they were the best antibacterial solutions. They not only killed the bacteria on the skin, they also damaged the skin itself and whatever my body was using to repair it. At one point, I was stuck with a cyst for a month because it never healed. It was just one big mass of ruined skin that took forever to surface and repair. PLEASE for the love of skin, stay away from rubbing alcohol at LEAST on the face. You're better off using Neosporin in the longrun. At least it will allow your skin to repair and effectively get rid of infection from bacteria.