Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ma14

Differin...your thoughts?

I went to the dermatologist a few weeks ago, after waiting for like three months on a waiting list, to be prescribed Roaccutane. My GP told me that this would be the best course of action as I have already been on three different antibiotics and three different topical treatments...without any success! Anyway I got to the dermatologist and she explained Roaccutane, gave me brochures, thing for a blood test, but then said that she wasn't going to give me it just yet. Instead, she prescribed Tetralysal 300 (Lymecycline) and differin and told me that if that didn't work she would give be Roaccutane. I found this soooo frustrating, as I could have of been prescribed this my GP...without the three month wait! I explained that after being on three consecutive courses of antibiotics my stomach was in agony and wasn't really sure another antibiotic would do me any good, but she insisted it would be fine. Low and behold, two weeks later my stomach is in agony! I know that the antibiotics can take nearly three months before any improvement can be seen, but I seriously dont know if I can put up with the stomach pain... with no guaranteed results. Now I know that Roaccutane wont give me guaranteed result, but it sure has a better long term success rate than this. I am thinking of going private for the dermatologist, as my spots are still sore and still regularly bleed. It just really puts me down! :boohoo:

I just really wanted to hear about everyone else's experience on Tetralysal or Differin.

P.s. Sorry about the rant, but just needed to get it off my chest :P

Antibiotics tried

Doxycycline

Erythromycin

oxytetracycline

Topical treatment

PanOxyl

Dalacin

Duac

That Panoxyl bar is harsh stuff, I swear it was originally designed for concrete. I'd stay away from accutane or other harsh drugs as well. Try the Avene line of skin care. I use the Retrinal 0.05 with regular Cetaphil gentle cleanser. You may want to try the "Diacneal" treatment from Avene if your acne is really severe. It has glycolic acid in it and may be what you need early on, and maybe as your acne improves, you can move to a gentle wash. Keep in mind that some of yor problem may be your diet as well, and I don't mean necessarily eating "junk". I know if I eat certain fruits, I will get a big knot on my forehead the next day.

Hey mate, im currently on day 29 of my Differin/Duac treatment. Differin - night. Duac - mornings.

I have relatively mild acne, annoying pustules mostly which leave red marks. Anyway at around week 4 now ive found it to be not too bad. At first you may feel a lot of drying, and some flaking/peeling of your skin - this is normal. your skin is adapting to it.

You dont need much, just the recommended pea size amount of it spread across or it can really cause irritation and redness. You may get a breakout from it aswell, this means its working, pushing all your acne to the surface.

You're suppose to see best results at around weeks 8-12. so im hoping the best is yet to come. but generally speaking, differin and duac has improved me so far. not clear by any means, but theres been small improvement, and hopefully more to come.

Good luck! Hang in there!

Edited by pleasehelp123

Hey mate, im currently on day 29 of my Differin/Duac treatment. Differin - night. Duac - mornings.

I have relatively mild acne, annoying pustules mostly which leave red marks. Anyway at around week 4 now ive found it to be not too bad. At first you may feel a lot of drying, and some flaking/peeling of your skin - this is normal. your skin is adapting to it.

You dont need much, just the recommended pea size amount of it spread across or it can really cause irritation and redness. You may get a breakout from it aswell, this means its working, pushing all your acne to the surface.

You're suppose to see best results at around weeks 8-12. so im hoping the best is yet to come. but generally speaking, differin and duac has improved me so far. not clear by any means, but theres been small improvement, and hopefully more to come.

hey man, if you start to peel, do you stop using it? or moisturise? or just keep going? im not to sure what to do.

i need to start using it. but havnt found a moisturiser that dosnt break me out

hey man, if you start to peel, do you stop using it? or moisturise? or just keep going? im not to sure what to do.

You keep using it, but if the peeling's excessive, you can skip an application. Start Differin slowly: use it every three days for a bit, then every two, then nightly.

Ehh Differen was good..considering how bad my acne was before..it was great even, but idk if that was just the doxycycline I was on.

It cleared up the small bumps on my forehead, but I still had mild/moderate acne on my cheeks and chin.

Benzaclin has worked a lot better for me though. Now I'm on it, I'm almost totally clear! It is quite drying though and may be too harsh if you have dry skin already.

yeah dude keep using the differin, unless your peeling is abnormally bad then possibly speak to your doctor about it or skip a night or two. its normal to peel a bit particularly in the first 1-3 weeks. I havent had the need to moisturise much, but when i did i used neutrogena oil free moisturiser. i havent used it much, but it didnt break me out.

Edited by pleasehelp123

thanks bud, can you link me to the exact moisturiser you speak of please?

also a big one, is it gel or cream you use?

This is the one i use - hopefully its ok for you if you try it, everyones skin is different.

http://www.acne.org/neutrogena-moisture-oi...s/70/page1.html

I use Differin cream 1.0 at night, and Duac cream in the mornings.

thanks man, yeah will look out for this, or get cetaphil since i found out its now sold in the uk!

do you apply this to whole areas of your skin at a time or?

duac cream oh right! ive got gel. do you spot treat with that or again apply to all areas?

also duac is it for inflammed pimples only or can you put it on clogged pores?

lol sorry for all these questions. i didnt have any at the derm then over the last few weeks before trying it i have so many questions!