Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SLSL

I can't take it anymore.

I don't know what's wrong with me, and I can't take it lightly anymore. Even though I'm not breaking out anymore, I'm still getting these scarred pores on my face, and I don't know why. It's driving me insane. I'm even getting little pits in my legs (NOT enlarged pores; much bigger)... what's happening?! There are more than a few of them!

I know this sounds gross, but since I've seen the little pits I've stopped shaving my legs. And they seem to have stopped coming. But I've noticed random ones on my arms and on my lower back. And I don't know if this means anything, but when I lean on some kind of texture, it leaves an imprint on me like I was sleeping hard on it or something. Even when I don't lean on it or whatever for long. It does go away, but it seems like my skin is very sensitive (or thin?) now?! Kind of like an old person's. It wasn't like this before.

I'm writing this crying. It would be one thing if I had these scars already, it would be another thing if I stopped scarring, but these scars are coming out of nowhere and I don't know what to do.

I looked everywhere online for an answer, but yet I can't find one. I've once been told I might have AMVC or something like that (spontaneous scarring.) But I doubt it. That condition is very, very rare. There has to be another answer.

I feel so ugly, and I feel like dying because I feel hopeless. Why is this happening to me? What kind of doctor should I see? Could this be a result of an autoimmune disease or something?

What should I do?

Please help. :cry:

Edited by Sapphire Lily

Hi Lily,

I think I have seen this on friends of mine before, but I'm not 100% sure. If you could, would you be able to take a picture of these scarred indents? If you could, I would like to help figure out what they are. Could be many different things.

What did you do to clear yourself up?

Hi Lily,

I think I have seen this on friends of mine before, but I'm not 100% sure. If you could, would you be able to take a picture of these scarred indents? If you could, I would like to help figure out what they are. Could be many different things.

Thank you for replying.

I cleared my acne with antibiotic pills, Retin-A and BP cleanser.

I couldn't get my camera to really pick up the pits, but here's two I found on my foot:

post-124720-1275119229_thumb.jpg

I drew lines underneath them:

post-124720-1275119221_thumb.jpg

I hope you can see them. I'll try to take better pictures later.

Edited by Sapphire Lily

Hi Lily,

Thank you for replying.

I cleared my acne with antibiotic pills, Retin-A and BP cleanser.

I couldn't get my camera to really pick up the pits, but here's two I found on my foot:

post-124720-1275119229_thumb.jpg

I drew lines underneath them:

post-124720-1275119221_thumb.jpg

I hope you can see them. I'll try to take better pictures later.

although i dont believe in the idea, people are likely to term it as spontaneous scarring. they found it can happen with people who have been on accutane and then use fish oil once they have finished. the only solution i think was when they take an antihistamine. it doesnt stop the scarring that has occured though stops the possibility of new scarring. do a search and im sure you'll find the thread. its pretty recent.

Edited by sydney_fellow

although i dont believe in the idea, people are likely to term it as spontaneous scarring. they found it can happen with people who have been on accutane and then use fish oil once they have finished. the only solution i think was when they take an antihistamine. it doesnt stop the scarring that has occured though stops the possibility of new scarring. do a search and im sure you'll find the thread. its pretty recent.

But I've never been on Accutane nor have I taken fish oil supplements. What is antihistamine? I probably sound dumb. I don't want it to be spontaneous scarring though... that means there's no actual cure/real treatment :cry:

Yeh, I see them now. I don't think its anykind of disease. They are quite minor, though you say you have other little spots. I'm pretty sure you know yourself well, did you ever have back acne or breakouts when you were younger. How recently did these develop? I know people that after clearing with retin-a or an antibiotic, your skin does become say "more fragile." Such as with me I won't wear a backpack or something that rubs to much cause it'll give me a small mark. Could have to do with what you wear, not 100% sure and most likly not.

They seem easily treatable. I'll have to get back to what they might be. Could just be random spots from genetics while you mature more. But I wouldn't let them get you down. I saw your other posts, and for what I can say, you look amazingly gorgeous. Don't get down, it'll be solved. If possible do go see a dermatologist and ask about them.

Yeh, I see them now. I don't think its anykind of disease. They are quite minor, though you say you have other little spots. I'm pretty sure you know yourself well, did you ever have back acne or breakouts when you were younger. How recently did these develop? I know people that after clearing with retin-a or an antibiotic, your skin does become say "more fragile." Such as with me I won't wear a backpack or something that rubs to much cause it'll give me a small mark. Could have to do with what you wear, not 100% sure and most likly not.

They seem easily treatable. I'll have to get back to what they might be. Could just be random spots from genetics while you mature more. But I wouldn't let them get you down. I saw your other posts, and for what I can say, you look amazingly gorgeous. Don't get down, it'll be solved. If possible do go see a dermatologist and ask about them.

I used to have a little acne on my upper back. I have a lot of these dents on my legs, specifically on the back of my legs. I have a few on my arms, a couple on the top of my feet, some on my lower back, and even one on my upper breast. I know for sure these weren't there before. I noticed them about 2-3 weeks ago, but I didn't think much of them and thought they'd go away on their own. But I also have some that came on my face - and that's what really bothers me the most.

I don't think they're from genetics. None of my family (of 6) have this problem. No one on the internet seems to have this problem! Even if I were gorgeous, and thank you, but this is making me ugly! :cry: When they started on my face, dermatologists said they were acne scars. How did I get acne scars when I was clear? I'm just so frustrated.

I used to have a little acne on my upper back. I have a lot of these dents on my legs, specifically on the back of my legs. I have a few on my arms, a couple on the top of my feet, some on my lower back, and even one on my upper breast. I know for sure these weren't there before. I noticed them about 2-3 weeks ago, but I didn't think much of them and thought they'd go away on their own. But I also have some that came on my face - and that's what really bothers me the most.

I don't think they're from genetics. None of my family (of 6) have this problem. No one on the internet seems to have this problem! Even if I were gorgeous, and thank you, but this is making me ugly! :cry: When they started on my face, dermatologists said they were acne scars. How did I get acne scars when I was clear? I'm just so frustrated.

hmm, yeah i know how it must feel. try the antihistamine, its seemed to have worked for others. its also better than doing nothing if its upsetting you. an antihistamine is something you give to people (tablet) that stops people having an allergic reaction e.g. dust, pollen etc. you can pick them up pretty easilly at most pharmacies.

hmm, yeah i know how it must feel. try the antihistamine, its seemed to have worked for others. its also better than doing nothing if its upsetting you. an antihistamine is something you give to people (tablet) that stops people having an allergic reaction e.g. dust, pollen etc. you can pick them up pretty easilly at most pharmacies.

Like Benedryl? How much per day? I can't find that thread. I would start taking some right now, but I have a thyroid scan soon and can't take any over the counter medicine which sucks :|

Anyways, I know how you must feel too. I think the antihistamine might be something to think about. But still encourage seeing a dermatologist. I'm a guy, and think i'm okay looking. You are gorgeous though. Many ppl here have it wayyyy worse than your or me.

My skin thinned-out and I got some things like that too. I think mine were caused by a long period of excessive stress, because stress can destroy collagen. The only other thing I know of that thins out skin is thyroid problems; I'd say get your hormones checked by a doc to make sure there's not a medical cause underlying the problem.

Just want to add a word of encouragement for you. I think you are a lovely young lady and you have been so kind to share your heartache w/ us here on the forums. My aunt suffers from Thyroid disease and it did indeed have a negative impact on her skin until she went on medication. I'm sorry I can't add any more insight into your scarring, but perhaps after your doctor's visit for your thyroid scan, that may be able to answer some questions for you.

God bless you and I'll keep you in my prayers :)

Do you tan much? If so it could be destroying the collagen all over your body, including your feet! Scars could be spontaneously showing, because you had trauma a long time ago there, and now the collagen is disappearing due to age and sun, so you see the outline of old scar tissue. Perhaps your thryoid has weakened your skin, you say you may have throid issues? If it's sun damage plus age plus thyroid, antihistamine will not work. Good luck!

Thank you guys SO much for the answers. Maybe it is my thyroid; I actually hope it is so I'll have an answer! Or maybe it is old scars / may be from chicken pox a long time ago too. And I have been extremely (BEYOND.) stressed lately, so that could be a culprit too. Or it could be a mix of all that. I don't think it's sun damage though... I'm rarely in the sun.

Anyways, I want to thank all of y'all for keeping me sane.. honestly. I don't know what I'd be doing without this site. So thank you, thank you, thank you. And thank you sassy for keeping me in your prayers :)

Hey Lily,

Sorry you are having these issues. I know it is upsetting to not feel "right" and have no idea what is happening. My suggestion would be to start a health journal. Write down what you eat, what meds, vitamins you are taking, where the scars appear, your mood for the day, any feelings or physical symptoms that are not "normal" for you. Also, (I know this is going to be odd) but add details about your "lady time". This might help you decide what course of action to take and what type of dr to see. Though your skin issues are causing you a lot of grief, they are probably more symptomatic than the end problem. You might want to visit an endocrinologist as opposed to seeing a dermatologist. A derm will just treat your skin and not the underlying cause.

Symptoms of a low thyroid are weight gain, dry skin, depression, fatigue, slow wound healing (basically everything in your body slows down). One quick trick to see if a low thyroid might be your problem is to take your temp in the morning for about a week. If it is low then you might possibly have an underactive thyroid. (You can google temperature and low thyoid to get precise details.) Also, If you think you have low thyroid you need to avoid soy, broccoli, cauliflower (google goitrogens for the food list) as they tend to depress the thyroid.

Oh, and you might want to hold off on tca cross until you get your body in order. You don't want to risk not healing appropriately.

I hope you get this resolved very soon.

Hey Lily,

Sorry you are having these issues. I know it is upsetting to not feel "right" and have no idea what is happening. My suggestion would be to start a health journal. Write down what you eat, what meds, vitamins you are taking, where the scars appear, your mood for the day, any feelings or physical symptoms that are not "normal" for you. Also, (I know this is going to be odd) but add details about your "lady time". This might help you decide what course of action to take and what type of dr to see. Though your skin issues are causing you a lot of grief, they are probably more symptomatic than the end problem. You might want to visit an endocrinologist as opposed to seeing a dermatologist. A derm will just treat your skin and not the underlying cause.

Symptoms of a low thyroid are weight gain, dry skin, depression, fatigue, slow wound healing (basically everything in your body slows down). One quick trick to see if a low thyroid might be your problem is to take your temp in the morning for about a week. If it is low then you might possibly have an underactive thyroid. (You can google temperature and low thyoid to get precise details.) Also, If you think you have low thyroid you need to avoid soy, broccoli, cauliflower (google goitrogens for the food list) as they tend to depress the thyroid.

Oh, and you might want to hold off on tca cross until you get your body in order. You don't want to risk not healing appropriately.

I hope you get this resolved very soon.

Thank you very much for your reply. Holy crap, am I taking a lot of meds. I hope one of my medicines isn't causing it, but I kind of doubt it. The journal is a good idea; I truly appreciate the advice. Another thing is, I haven't had my period for two months. :confused: But I've already taken two pregnancy tests at my doctor's, and they both came negative. This could be a result of my stress or if I do have a thyroid problem. Should I see an endocrinologist or a rheumatologist?

My doctor is suspecting that I have hyperthyroidism as oppose to hypothyroidism. Symptoms:

* Palpitations

* Heat intolerance

* Nervousness

* Insomnia

* Breathlessness

* Increased bowel movements

* Light or absent menstrual periods

* Fatigue

* Fast heart rate

* Trembling hands

* Weight loss

* Muscle weakness

* Warm moist skin

* Thinning of skin

* Hair loss

* Staring gaze

I bolded the ones that I have, which is basically all but one. If I don't have hyperthyroidism, I don't know what I'm going to do/feel next. :doubt: I just can't wait until the 1st & 2nd so I can finally take the tests. Hopefully you guys will be still be here for me! Thank you guys.

Are you sure those are scars or just discolorations? If you get those, if it is not acne, then you you check yourself for other causes. But show us your scars pores too ... not whole face picture but an zoom on the spot.

Given your symptoms, you might want to start with the endocrinologist. You might be surprised how medications affect your body. We are trained to think if it comes with a prescription then it is safe or we won't suffer adverse affects. (Thank you big Pharma). I used to be a walking pharmacy and I can tell you that medications can really cause problems. You might want to do a very detailed search of all of the medications you are taking just to see if any of them could be contributing to your symptoms. For example, anti depressants can cause acne, hair loss, anxiety. So we MUST be our own advocates.

With heat intolerance you must love the Texas Summers huh? :)

Edited by neuroticwaif

Given your symptoms, you might want to start with the endocrinologist. You might be surprised how medications affect your body. We are trained to think if it comes with a prescription then it is safe or we won't suffer adverse affects. (Thank you big Pharma). I used to be a walking pharmacy and I can tell you that medications can really cause problems. You might want to do a very detailed search of all of the medications you are taking just to see if any of them could be contributing to your symptoms. For example, anti depressants can cause acne, hair loss, anxiety. So we MUST be our own advocates.

I'm with Neuroticwaif on this one ^

Sorry Saphire that you're feeling so down, life can be a real bitch sometimes!

I'd offer you some more words of comfort and wisdom. but I am really in such a hurry.

be back later today (nearly 2 am now) to update

Hope you feel better hun

Take care now

*Neurotic, your username makes me chuckle*

Definitely check with an endocrinologist as your doctor is worried about thyroid problems.

Are you sure those are scars or just discolorations? If you get those, if it is not acne, then you you check yourself for other causes. But show us your scars pores too ... not whole face picture but an zoom on the spot.

I'm sure they're scars because they're pitted. I wish they were just discolorations. I just took a picture of my scarred pores:

post-124720-1275180740_thumb.jpg

I underlined a few and circled some that are close together:

post-124720-1275180744_thumb.jpg

My face definitely has the texture of an orange peel :|

Then I will start with an endocrinologist; thanks for the suggestion. It's just rheumologists deal with the body and skin's tissue. I think I'm going to stop my new medications and start taking my old ones that work just as good but I know I didn't have side effects to.

Oh yes, I just love the Texas weather lol... not really; every time I step out the door I feel like I'm going to pass out!

Sorry Saphire that you're feeling so down, life can be a real bitch sometimes!

I'd offer you some more words of comfort and wisdom. but I am really in such a hurry.

be back later today (nearly 2 am now) to update

Hope you feel better hun

Take care now

*Neurotic, your username makes me chuckle*

Thank you : ) It means a lot

what meds are you on?

Trazodone for sleeping

Prozac for depression

Ativan for anxiety (new)

^ going back to Xanax

Propranolol for hypertension

Ampicillin to keep acne under control

That's a lot for a 19-year-old. :confused:

Women's One-a-Day Mutlivitamin

Vitamin C 1,000MG

what meds are you on?

Trazodone for sleeping

Prozac for depression

Ativan for anxiety (new)

^ going back to Xanax

Propranolol for hypertension

Ampicillin to keep acne under control

That's a lot for a 19-year-old. :confused:

Women's One-a-Day Mutlivitamin

Vitamin C 1,000MG

naww, youve really drugged yourself up there :( we should start happiness therapy in this board ! dunno why, but it saddens me to see you needing to be on all of those.

did you find the prozac helps? all the quizzes, nurses and counsellers i talk to say im depressed. id love to go on one, except my doctor keeps saying, oh just toughen up. i disagree and anything to make the days easier, would be greatly appreciated.

im on st johns wort atm, and its stopped me crying, though its so freakin expensive.

*chews some more vitamin c*

Edited by sydney_fellow