Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

Anyone have a tomato or citrus allergy? Acne...

A few weeks ago, I noticed that eating large quantities of tomatoes causes me to have diarrhea 12 hours later. If tomatoes do this to my digestive tract, they might also affect my skin.

I don't know if it is tomatoes or citrus.

I know this acne trigger is very common but no one has mentioned it lately on this forum.

Does anyone have it?

large quantities of anything gives you diarrhea.

especially veggies/fruit.

I think large quantities of veggies would actually constipate you.

On topic, tomatoes give me canker sores very quickly after I eat them, but I haven't noticed if they effect my skin at all. I guess canker sores may be counted as an allergic reaction.

"Large quantity" -- as in 3/4ths a cup of tomato sauce on rice.

Before 3 years ago, I could eat as much tomato sauce on spaghetti as I wanted.

I think tomatoes naturally have a lot of histamine in them so they might cause or mimic allergic responses.

Im not 100% sure but anytime I eat a tomato heavy meal my nose always gets stuffed up and I feel like I have hayfever

When you have a delayed reaction like that(12 hours after) it's not a food allergy, but food intolerance.

Food allergies causes an almost immediate reaction, but with food intolerances the reactions are delayed and often include diarrhea. I speak from personal experience.

The underlying cause is not the tomatoes in themself, but almost always leaky gut. There's been a change in the permeability(filtering ability) of the gastrointestinal barrier/lining. Water soluble molecules are able to penetrate the intestinal mucosa. When the barrier is penetrated larger particles(from f.ex food) can leach into circulation.

Avoid all the foods you have an intolerance to(for the moment) and look into treating leaky gut.

Good luck

When you have a delayed reaction like that(12 hours after) it's not a food allergy, but food intolerance.

Food allergies causes an almost immediate reaction, but with food intolerances the reactions are delayed and often include diarrhea. I speak from personal experience.

The underlying cause is not the tomatoes in themself, but almost always leaky gut. There's been a change in the permeability(filtering ability) of the gastrointestinal barrier/lining. Water soluble molecules are able to penetrate the intestinal mucosa. When the barrier is penetrated larger particles(from f.ex food) can leach into circulation.

Avoid all the foods you have an intolerance to(for the moment) and look into treating leaky gut.

Good luck

Thank you for all the information!

Yes, I do have leaky gut quite severely. A few years ago, I found that I could not eat ANY protein (meat, lentils, beans, seeds, dairy, eggs, beans, soy, etc.) because the molecules of protein would go through my porous intestines and cause severe acne within 4 hours. I stayed on a no-protein diet for about 1.5 years.

This year I discovered I have Celiac Disease which must be the cause of my leaky gut. I feel so much better off gluten. My skin is improving but I am suspicious about tomatoes now. :think:

Edited by Dotty1

There are delayed reactions that involve the immune system, just a different type of antibodies and different types of reactions. Food intolerance includes the allergies and issues such as lacking the enzymes to digest lactose.

Edited by alternativista