Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xena467

Peanut Butter and Acne

Ok so I wanted to tell you guys something that I found broke me out.

I'll give you 3 guesses :P

It took me so long to realize it because I thought it was such a safe food. Every morning I'd have whole wheat rye toast and peanut butter for breakfast. Until I was 35. And then I came across something on the net that said "DO NOT EAT ANYTHING WITH HYDROGENATED OIL IN IT". And of course, the peanut butter I was using had hydrogenated oil in it. I know, maybe other peanut butters don't and wouldn't break you out but I decided just to cut it out altogether. And my face really cleared up from it. Well, a little, anyway. I still had to see what other foods could be breaking me out, like oranges and mayonnaise. I had kinda severe acne so it took a while keeping to a low fat low sugar diet before I really saw results.

Shoulda been a no brainer hunh? Peanut butter=high fat/oil=breakouts.

It's funny how sometimes you don't question eating healthy foods like that.

Regular peanut butter only contains a very small amount of hydrogenated oil, while natural peanut butter supposedly doesn't contain any at all.

Guest DireStraits

Peanut butter sucks.

If it isn't the hydrogenated oils from the PB thats breaking you out then it could be that you're allergic to peanuts, so the breakouts you're getting maybe a sign of an allergic reaction.

lol, "if its natural then it must be alright", thats so naive. Thats what i thought when i bough a jar of organic PB and i broke out in the form of hives cause what i got were itchy spots.

If it took you till the age of 35 to figure that out hydrogenated oils are a trigger for you, then i really feel for you. Next step cut out dairy and sugar and you should see an even significant improvement.

Edited by DireStraits

Peanut butter sucks.

If it isn't the hydrogenated oils from the PB thats breaking you out then it could be that you're allergic to peanuts, so the breakouts you're getting maybe a sign of an allergic reaction.

lol, "if its natural then it must be alright", thats so naive. Thats what i thought when i bough a jar of organic PB and i broke out in the form of hives cause what i got were itchy spots.

If it took you till the age of 35 to figure that out hydrogenated oils are a trigger for you, then i really feel for you. Next step cut out dairy and sugar and you should see an even significant improvement.

I cut out dairy a long time ago. And for the past few months I've cut out sugar too. I'd known it was a trigger before, it was just really hard to stop eating it. But now it's going well, I'm on a low fat low sugar diet and since cutting out oranges and potatoes my skin has really been clearing up quite nicely.

I'm on a low fat low sugar diet and [...]my skin has really been clearing up quite nicely.

Have you lost weight during this same time period?

I'm on a low fat low sugar diet and [...]my skin has really been clearing up quite nicely.

Have you lost weight during this same time period?

I've lost a tiny bit but not much, as I haven't been exercising. In all that time, I lost about 7 pounds.

Your fooling yourself if you think diet has anything to do with acne. You all are.

IN MY OPINION, you are fooling yourself thinking that it's not. Your comment can be shot down by countless numbers of proven studies that say otherwise. Maybe try doing some research on that instead of looking for a pill or a topical 'cure'. Acne is a symptom of an underlying issue, so you go try and "cure" your acne with topicals that mask the problem (and don't do a particularly good job at it either, or else we would all be acne free), while people who have suffered with acne for YEARS, who understand and agree with the diet-acne connection and become clear with their dietary changes and don't have to rely on topicals for the rest of their lives. Search the forums, it's been done over.. and over... and over.. and over...and over... : ).

Did you ever think that your opinion isn't shared by everyone else on this forum? Your post is so closed minded.

"A mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open".

***BTW, to the original poster:

I had a food sensitivty to almonds on my allergy test, and when I eat them, my face becomes all red, hot and inflamed and I break out in pustules. This may be because when you consume a food you are allergic to, it triggers an inflammatory response, which can surface as hives, itchiness, rash, acne, or in more serious cases (like pollen when I was a child), anaphylactic (spelling?) shock (throat closing). Different foods that I'm allergic to, trigger different responses. Almonds and pineapples make me break out, where as raw carrots and apples make my lips swell and become insanely itchy.

Also learned in university that peanuts are potentially aflatoxins, which means that the older, browner and moldyish ones are carcinogenic, and it's wishful thinking to think that only the more prestine peanuts went into our peanut butter, some food for thought!

Edited by smartie