Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jeff23

Difference between red/dark marks and acne scar?

What's the difference between these 2 and how do you know which one you have? I have a blemish on the right side of my face near my nose from popping a pimple. The result was a blemish that is bigger than the pimple was. It was bright red when it first happened it has gotten less and less red and now it is kind of a mark that is darker than my skin but not really red anymore. What is this?

A red/dark mark is just hyperpigmentation of the skin and is not permanent. It'll take anywhere between a couple months and a couple years to disappear. A scar is an indentation of the skin, and is permanent.

What you have is hyperpigmentation. You could also possibly have a scar underneath the mark, but that depends on how severe the leison was.

Bright red means its a brand new mark, caused by inflammation etc. Brown colored marks are known as post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation which is caused by melanin, red/pink colored marks is known as post-inflammatory erythemea. People with darker skin are more prone to the brown colored marks but anyone can have them. These are not scars (a lot of people mistakenly call them scars but they fade), acne scars come in two flavors raised (keloidal) or indented scars. There are many types of scars boxcar, ice pick, rolling, etc. Unless there is a loss of or increase of tissue its not really a scar, as scar tissue is different from real skin structurally.

As you can see there is also a distinction between red and brown marks, one treatment may not work that well for the other. You can also have a mix of both kind of marks so treatment like wearing sunscreen for either kind is suggested.

um...theres also the rarer post-inflammatory hypopigmentation, which ive never really seen or heard of people having.

Edited by Cabron

A red/dark mark is just hyperpigmentation of the skin and is not permanent. It'll take anywhere between a couple months and a couple years to disappear. A scar is an indentation of the skin, and is permanent.

What you have is hyperpigmentation. You could also possibly have a scar underneath the mark, but that depends on how severe the leison was.

So, if it isn't raised or indented (its just flat) then its just mark and not a scar? I'm happy to hear that!