Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am messing up at school. I just want to see if any of you have had this experience. I can't say whether acne led me to depression, or depression led me to blame things on acne. I've been skipping classes for weeks at a time. I am a fairly intelligent person so YES I KNOW it's stupid and uncalled for. But I just feel like there is no point. Why even leave my room? I'd be perfectly happy to stay in here all day. I don't know how I am going to tell my mom that I got dropped from one class and have to finish the other next quarter. I am so scared. Maybe she will understand since she has experience with depression too but I am just not sure. : ( Acne is not helping at all? I get up look at my face, and go right back to bed. I don't know what to do anymore.

hey kiddo,

I failed a whole year of uni due to depression, i just didn't go to any classes, kept thinking that somehow i'll figure it all out 3 weeks before exams, and when that time came i just gave up.

I regret the time i wasted, i regret giving up, but most of ALL i regret not telling my mum and everyone around me that i was depressed. I just hid it all and swept it under the carpet, and when the time came and my mum found how much i had failed, it all came crashing down and it was the worst guilt i have ever felt and the worst day of my life. Everyone kept telling me to tell her, but i just couldn't find the courage, if only i had earlier i wouldn't have had to sooooo much to confess, and she WOULD have understood, but since i didn't tell her till it was too late it took years to gain back her trust. So don't let this happen to you, tell your mother now before it's too late, sit her down and tell her whats going on with you. It doesn't even matter if you don't know why.

I think it would have been better had i took some time off rather than try to complete the units under that condition. Take it easy and don't be so hard on yourself, its hard being young but this time shall pass.

I'm feeling much better these days, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there.

Edited by onceperfect

I already told you (you might be bored to read this) that I think you need to attack the problem from the inside first, have a clean face and then follow a regimen. But to use differin when you already have acne sometimes is like putting fuel on fire ... it take too much time to heal with differing.

Anyway you are already on this. My view is that you should consider taking antibiotic, to try to clean fast your face, not let it spread more. Then the rest, BP 2,5% on stronghold, the rest keep it untouched (just the cleanser or soap). But be clean now. Problem is you have to try and test because hormonal stuff is taugh to deal with. That is my advice. There is no magic solution to acne. And don't miss class, you don't have to be the queen of school, you have to be the queen of one lucky fella.

Also, take some echinacea or propolis just in case. (to improve your immune system).

Hey Bek, I must say its really discouraging to hear that you feel like this. I went through the same thing in my first semester in college. My parents paid for my semester which was like 1,000 dollars and all i would do is go hide in the back of the campus for a while and then walk home, bad bad time in my life. BUT my acne was looking really bad and it was just the beginning of what was truly gonna come later. I look at ur face and you already know how i feel about it and i cannot imagine that you feel THAT bad about it. I go to school and i could spot people with minor acne on a regular occasion just like you. Minor enough to notice but nothing that will make anyone stare and make you self consciousness about it. Are you perhaps suffering with other parts in your life right now besides acne? I cant help but think that your insecurity is far more than just the couple pimples you have on your face. Plus, your a girl. You can always wear make-up and the acne will BARELY even be noticeable after that, considering how it is on your pics with no make-up. To hear youll be happy inside your room all day is not a good mindset to have. Im stuck in my house all day(well i go out at night) because of my DAMN recovery which i really have to be careful with but if it wasnt for that id be doing so many things. I mean you live in cali, theres so much to do there and the weather is great. You have to change the mentality that your acne is bad because its not, bek. Go out with friends, have fun, let them know how you feel and im POSITIVE that they will probably tell you the same exact thing im telling you. Get confidence, postive compliments, it goes a LONG way for your self-esteem. YOUR ACNE IS NOT BAD AT ALL. I feel very worried for you and i dont know if theres other parts of your life thats really bothering you but just be strong and dont let your view on your acne get to you so much. Life is a lot harder to deal with than acne, unless your rich and spoiled, than your lucky. Hope you feel better, i dont know what else to say...

mm I missed shitloads of college n i still got 100%, being a nerd will do that to you =-), I guess acne helped with that muhaha.

Remember people have it much worse then you, in your case 95% of people do, be glad with your appearance.

Hey Bek, I must say its really discouraging to hear that you feel like this. I went through the same thing in my first semester in college. My parents paid for my semester which was like 1,000 dollars and all i would do is go hide in the back of the campus for a while and then walk home, bad bad time in my life. BUT my acne was looking really bad and it was just the beginning of what was truly gonna come later. I look at ur face and you already know how i feel about it and i cannot imagine that you feel THAT bad about it. I go to school and i could spot people with minor acne on a regular occasion just like you. Minor enough to notice but nothing that will make anyone stare and make you self consciousness about it. Are you perhaps suffering with other parts in your life right now besides acne? I cant help but think that your insecurity is far more than just the couple pimples you have on your face. Plus, your a girl. You can always wear make-up and the acne will BARELY even be noticeable after that, considering how it is on your pics with no make-up. To hear youll be happy inside your room all day is not a good mindset to have. Im stuck in my house all day(well i go out at night) because of my DAMN recovery which i really have to be careful with but if it wasnt for that id be doing so many things. I mean you live in cali, theres so much to do there and the weather is great. You have to change the mentality that your acne is bad because its not, bek. Go out with friends, have fun, let them know how you feel and im POSITIVE that they will probably tell you the same exact thing im telling you. Get confidence, postive compliments, it goes a LONG way for your self-esteem. YOUR ACNE IS NOT BAD AT ALL. I feel very worried for you and i dont know if theres other parts of your life thats really bothering you but just be strong and dont let your view on your acne get to you so much. Life is a lot harder to deal with than acne, unless your rich and spoiled, than your lucky. Hope you feel better, i dont know what else to say...

Although I am sorry you had the same problem, I'm glad to hear I am not the only one. You are correct in the fact that acne is by far not my only insecurity. I see what you are saying about being a girl and makeup. Yes, it is socially acceptable for me to attempt to cover up my acne. But the type and force of the pressure on every other part of my body does not disappear with concealer. Also, if I DON'T wear makeup, it's a problem as well. I remember being in summer school and this girl always wore makeup. She came in for ONE day without it, and I could clearly hear someone saying "Ewww what the f*&k happened to her? Why isn't she wearing makeup?!" etc etc. It was a guy. Because I believe our nation and youth are being trained to only accept perfection, myself included. Being a girl is in no way easier. We are supposed to be kind, hot, beautiful, virginal, experienced, not experienced, smart but not too smart, fun, easygoing, perfect, silent, friendly, loud... at all once.

I really appreciate you taking the time to post a well thought out and felt response. As for the rich and spoiled part I don't really get it but I can assure you I'm not.

I will try to go out more and tell people how I feel. It's just hard. Neither of my closest friends have ever had problems with acne. They don't know how it feels...like at all. I can try to open myself up more. But I think I'm just in a boatload of trouble and I need to start digging my way out. Acne is not the only problem but I figured since this is supposed to be a caring community I could start here.

hey kiddo,

I failed a whole year of uni due to depression, i just didn't go to any classes, kept thinking that somehow i'll figure it all out 3 weeks before exams, and when that time came i just gave up.

I regret the time i wasted, i regret giving up, but most of ALL i regret not telling my mum and everyone around me that i was depressed. I just hid it all and swept it under the carpet, and when the time came and my mum found how much i had failed, it all came crashing down and it was the worst guilt i have ever felt and the worst day of my life. Everyone kept telling me to tell her, but i just couldn't find the courage, if only i had earlier i wouldn't have had to sooooo much to confess, and she WOULD have understood, but since i didn't tell her till it was too late it took years to gain back her trust. So don't let this happen to you, tell your mother now before it's too late, sit her down and tell her whats going on with you. It doesn't even matter if you don't know why.

I think it would have been better had i took some time off rather than try to complete the units under that condition. Take it easy and don't be so hard on yourself, its hard being young but this time shall pass.

I'm feeling much better these days, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there.

Thank you for your kind response, it really hit home. Sometimes I think that we can worry so much that we make our problem worse than it is! I should tell my mom that I am depressed instead of trying to act like everything is okay, because it truly isn't. Maybe she will forgive me and allow me this summer to try and get myself back together. I am so happy to hear that you are doing better, just for you, and also that there is hope. It does mean a lot to hear.

mm I missed shitloads of college n i still got 100%, being a nerd will do that to you =-), I guess acne helped with that muhaha.

Remember people have it much worse then you, in your case 95% of people do, be glad with your appearance.

Lol you stink! I WISH that was me.

And 95%... haha kind words... but reallllly. :P

Seeing so many people with clear skin doesn't help at all. I sometimes question myself "why me?, why do I have to go through this?". I finished my first college semester just a couple of days ago and found out that I have to repeat math(for skipping). Every time the teacher mentions "we're working in groups tomorrow" I get nervous and just the thought of having to sit in front of a group of people gives me the chills and I end up skipping class just to avoid having to sit in front of people face to face. I been on dans regimen for 13 days now & definitely seen results. Hopefully in 2-3 months I would start seeing big results and get clear after 7 years of suffering from acne.

Im going through the exact same thing. This year was my first year of uni and ive nearly just finished semester 1. At the start i was doing good because i was concentrating, but then my skin took its toll, along with all the clear skin that surrounded me everyday, and ive now decided to take a leave of absence for semester 2 and sought myself out. Im glad im making this decision because i know i will fail everything if i go through semester 2 in the state of mind that i am in now.

I'm doing that. It's sad but I feel better knowing I'm not the only one going through this. I only get like 3 things done a day, and those things don't even matter.... Like taking the trash out today was 1 of the 3 things I did.... I'm still in high school here. I'm positive that I'll graduate sometime by the end of this year with good grades, but fuck it, cus I want to study in Norway and a good diploma with the homeschooling program I'm with won't even get me past admission requirements to upper education there.... So I'm just freaking lost, and I'm really thinking, the fuck with it, I should just give up.... Going to my friend's graduation and prom (my old class before I transferred to homeschooling) felt like I'd just been stepped on, after how small I've been feeling since.... But I'm still here and I'm trying to find ways to get past it all. :/ Bleh I'm getting sick over it. The mental/emotional kind of sickness that is....

I hope you can talk to your mom and she won't react so badly to it. Truth will set you free :). Good luck

Oh and... it doesn't matter. Your close friends will understand you even if they've never had acne (which is unlikely, cus like 99% of people get at least a spot occasionally) once they know how you feel about it. They don't have to have experienced it to understand. They'll just understand from observing how insecure you get about it.

I honestly do think a leave of absence is in order. Luckily, I am still in community college (planning to transfer). So it's not AS expensive as it could be which is great... But I think sometimes you have to take a mental health chunk of time. I still haven't told my mom yet. She is going out of state for like a week starting Tuesday, I was thinking of calling/emailing her after she leaves and saying I just found out BUT here's my PLAN : sjkdhajisbajbdasjkd .... You know? I think it might be better than telling her in person and by the time she comes back maybe she won't be so weird??

I honestly do think a leave of absence is in order. Luckily, I am still in community college (planning to transfer). So it's not AS expensive as it could be which is great... But I think sometimes you have to take a mental health chunk of time. I still haven't told my mom yet. She is going out of state for like a week starting Tuesday, I was thinking of calling/emailing her after she leaves and saying I just found out BUT here's my PLAN : sjkdhajisbajbdasjkd .... You know? I think it might be better than telling her in person and by the time she comes back maybe she won't be so weird??

It's going to be hard, but tell your mom in person. Enlist her support in finding a counselor; you need one badly. You may also need some medication to help you through this rough spot. Do NOT waste time in getting support, the hippocampus of depressed persons shrinks. Literally SHRINKS.

There are also different effects in the brain due to depression; get this taken care of NOW before you have longer term consequences. You're a lot like me, so I do feel for you. Please do go get that help, young lady. :)

The good news is that with treated depression, the hippocampus and other parts of the affected brain CAN be improved, some medications actually help the hippocampus regrow to its original size, but you'd need to discuss that with your doctor. Be evaluated for bipolar, too. You do have some of those signs. It's NOT a death sentence, and it can be treated. My heart goes out to you. :comfort:

hey bek yeah i know what your going through...i dont know if you read the post i had of me missing 3 weeks of school..yeah i also was depressed and i looked at my face and was like there was no way in hell i was goin to go to school like this..until i realized it was ither i go to school with my discusting face or my mom gets arrested and thats when i decided to go back and been going now for 2 weeks is not easy but is something you have to do...it was the hardest thing ever for me ...i felt down and everything but i still did it....so i advise get all the strenghd you have left and go to school and stop skipping :D

I totally get what you're going through, if I'm broken out really bad I just get so apathetic, I don't want to go out to parties, out with friends, and I also don't want to do school work, chores or anything. All I want to do is just sit on my ass all day and play video games and watch movies.

I just force myself to go out and put on my happy face and act like nothings wrong.

It's going to be hard, but tell your mom in person. Enlist her support in finding a counselor; you need one badly. You may also need some medication to help you through this rough spot. Do NOT waste time in getting support, the hippocampus of depressed persons shrinks. Literally SHRINKS.

There are also different effects in the brain due to depression; get this taken care of NOW before you have longer term consequences. You're a lot like me, so I do feel for you. Please do go get that help, young lady. :)

The good news is that with treated depression, the hippocampus and other parts of the affected brain CAN be improved, some medications actually help the hippocampus regrow to its original size, but you'd need to discuss that with your doctor. Be evaluated for bipolar, too. You do have some of those signs. It's NOT a death sentence, and it can be treated. My heart goes out to you. :comfort:

Eek. Well I found a therapist I just have to call my insurance on tomorrow and see how much the copay is going to be. I really hope I can go... I need it badly- I agree. There is only so much progress you can make with family/yourself/friends. I am on Wellbutrin and maybe if therapy doesn't help my psychiatrist will up the dosage. I am scared though because I did that in 2008 and it made me have suicidal thoughts :(

I did not know about the hippocampus shrinking! That is certainly creepy news. Well thank you for pointing out our similarities, sometimes I feel like such a freak! (Like there aren't many people with these problems). Maybe I have bipolar depression? I looked up the symptoms for that and it certainly seems that I have some of them. Scary, my stepbrother has full on bipolar disease and that was quite a wild ride when we were younger.

Thank you, most of all. :)

hey bek yeah i know what your going through...i dont know if you read the post i had of me missing 3 weeks of school..yeah i also was depressed and i looked at my face and was like there was no way in hell i was goin to go to school like this..until i realized it was ither i go to school with my discusting face or my mom gets arrested and thats when i decided to go back and been going now for 2 weeks is not easy but is something you have to do...it was the hardest thing ever for me ...i felt down and everything but i still did it....so i advise get all the strenghd you have left and go to school and stop skipping :D

Happy and proud for/of you!

I totally get what you're going through, if I'm broken out really bad I just get so apathetic, I don't want to go out to parties, out with friends, and I also don't want to do school work, chores or anything. All I want to do is just sit on my ass all day and play video games and watch movies.

I just force myself to go out and put on my happy face and act like nothings wrong.

: / haha maybe we should hang out then

Just like for treating acne, treating depression or bipolar sometimes takes multiple different medication trials. Please do not assume you have bipolar, just ask to be assessed for it. :)

Those brain changes CAN be improved. I just like people to understand how important it is to treat depression. Not treating it is a very horrible mistake. (former psychiatric nurse here!)

Just like for treating acne, treating depression or bipolar sometimes takes multiple different medication trials. Please do not assume you have bipolar, just ask to be assessed for it. :)

Those brain changes CAN be improved. I just like people to understand how important it is to treat depression. Not treating it is a very horrible mistake. (former psychiatric nurse here!)

Yeah that does make sense. I will ask him! Haha I bet he's going to love that. A little project for him.

A very horrible mistake?! What have you seen?