Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I got to thinking today about some of the things I haven't done because of my skin, so I figured where better to share this than here. I took this to be anything from missing an event to something as simple as brushing my teeth in the dark so I don't have to look in the mirror.

Here's a few of the notable things I have not done or that I avoid because of my beautiful complexion...

-Avoid the gym like the plague when my skin gets bad (sweat, inadvertant face touching...lots of mirrors)

-Backed out of a trip to Vegas because my skin has been getting worse

-Won't go to the beach

-Didn't go to a promising job interview, instead took a bad job with less contact and exposure

-Didn't go to the college I wanted so I would be close enough to home to hide if my skin got bad enough

-Countless times I haven't gone out to events or get togethers because I was broken out and have given a million excuses.

Little things....

-I do in fact brush my teeth with the lights off so I don't have to look at myself in the mirror

-Won't go in rooms with flourescent lighting if I can help it

-I only look at my face with one mirror in the house which is in a very dimly lit room

-Won't look at my reflection in windows

-Squint my eyes when I look in the bathroom mirror so everything's blurry and I can't see the details

Anyone else?

I wish I could avoid flourescent lights, but they're everywhere. I only avoid products now. My mom buys me new body lotions, facial creams, and hair stuff that end up collecting dust or being given away. If I'm not familiar with it, it's not going on my skin.

Woah...you sure missed a lot of opportunities because of acne...That's very sad. I mised lots of school days because of my acne, and for most of the time I's stay inside my house for weeks...people noticed I was even paler then usual. When friends invite me I simply made up an excuse...like 20 different excuses fro the same person. I lost a lot of friends because of that. :( And oh GOSH! I know that fluorescent light! it's the worst kind of light to show up all your erm...imperfections. And those lights are everywhere! school, working places, shopping malls....arg. But now, I try to be strong and it's still hard but I try my best to not let my acne control me and my life.

This is what I tend to do:

- miss opportunities to chill w/ friends

- miss events... really, really fun ones...

- pass up on hanging out with girls I like b/c I'm afriad if they focus on my skin imperfections they will be disappointed

- avoid sun/outdoors alot

- avoid looking for a job b/c I'm too self conscious

- avoid looking people in the eye for more than a few seconds

- avoid enjoying my life really, to the fullest extent

- avoid getting a girlfriend

- avoid bad lighting/certain mirrors

- lose tons of time b/c I'm in a mirror convincing myself my red marks aren't that bad

- avoid people touching or getting close to my face

- avoid everyday opportunities to do good b/c I'm too busy feeling sorry for myself...

hopefully time really does heal all wounds

I'd never really avoided anything because of acne until a year and a half ago when it went from moderate (well it fluctuated between like a 3 and a 7) to severe. Since then:

-I've avoided my friends almost completely (only hung out with them 3 times in the last year and 4 months)

-My whole family except for my parents and sister (and dog).

-Dropped out of college after a semester. Have since returned though to a different school though.

-Sports

-Billiards. Fluorescent lighting FTL.

- A lot of tasty foods and beverages.

I only avoid eating dairy and junk food, and drinking too much booze. I don't want to die regretting all of the things I missed because of my skin, so I just live my life.

- Hanging out with people I don't know sometimes

- Going out if my skin was too bad

- Not having to wear makeup every day

- Enjoying being on a swim team

etc etc etc

- Swimming with my boyfriend can be nerve-ish sometimes

I avoid mirrors like crazy, I went to the makeup counter and thought I was going to have a panic attack, all these bright lights. The lady suggested I try it on my face to get the color right and started to turn it towards me, and I looked at the ground and said, "Um, no, that's ok, I'll just take this one." She probably thought I was crazy.

I avoid the gym too, because I'm scared sweat will make everything worse and that people will stare at me.

And I avoid social situtions in general, especially cameras.

Wow, this topic really hits close to home and it's sad to see how many people are affected by this. It is depressing that we feel we need to shut other people out of our lives and stay in and hide. That being said, I just can't help doing that.

Since my acne turned from mild to moderate to cystic, I have missed out on so much.

I decided not to play softball this year, and I LOVE Softball. I just did not want to have to go out without makeup or wear a lot of makeup and sweat it off while playing.

I decided not to go to my friend's bachelorette weekend in Toronto. ( Though Money was an issue as well)

I have not gone out to the bar or clubs with my friends because let's face it, everyone gets dressed to the NINES to do this.

I have not made any plans to go camping this summer and I have gone camping the past five years in a row.

I cancel on friends a lot which is so not fair to them and I should give them more credit. They love me for me but I just don't want them to see me like this.

Seriously, why do we do this to ourselves? We are beautiful ( and handsome ) the way we are. Why can't we accept that?

-excuse myself from outing/hanging out with friends

-avoid mirrors

-avoid make up

-avoid eye contact with guys mostly

-try to avoid those whom u know will never fail to remind u that u owned a face that is unsightly(in their perspective)

-avoid fried, heaty, too spicy, those types of food

-avoid chocolates and candies as much as possible

-avoid going under the sun

-avoid lightnings that i deem is unfavourable to the outlook of my skin

-avoid staying out too long(insecure abt my skin if it have not been washed with cleanser +toner + medicine/moisturiser after a long period)

-avoid situations where i know ppl is gonna focus on ur skin/ touch ur face

-avoid taking photos

Edited by blackkchoco

-Making new friends

-Avoiding girls

-Passing out on friends

-Avoid going outside to have fun

-Afraid of mirrors for fear of seeing my acne skin

-Fear of looking for a part time job

-Avoid taking photos

I am just tired really...and numb. I'm so tired of the up and down waves of feeling good or optimistic, maybe even forgetting about the skin?.... and then getting knocked on my ass after my face starts to break out..it's just like BAM...back to feeling worthless.

I just want to be care free and go out and do things without thinking twice about my face, I want it more than I can describe. I'm not asking for perfection, just enough that I'm not forced to have my world revolving around how my skin will look that day. I feel like I would give just about anything to have that now.

- Dates

- Greasy foods and deserts

- The sun

- Bars & nightclubs

- Alcohol

- Coffee

I make sure I go to the gym if I have a break out b/c it's not worth it to miss a day and I know I'll feel better after working out the frustration. People at the gym are generally focused on what they are doing and pay little to no attention to others. It's also good to sweat out the impurities.

Wow, this topic really hits close to home and it's sad to see how many people are affected by this. It is depressing that we feel we need to shut other people out of our lives and stay in and hide. That being said, I just can't help doing that.

Since my acne turned from mild to moderate to cystic, I have missed out on so much.

I decided not to play softball this year, and I LOVE Softball. I just did not want to have to go out without makeup or wear a lot of makeup and sweat it off while playing.

I decided not to go to my friend's bachelorette weekend in Toronto. ( Though Money was an issue as well)

I have not gone out to the bar or clubs with my friends because let's face it, everyone gets dressed to the NINES to do this.

I have not made any plans to go camping this summer and I have gone camping the past five years in a row.

I cancel on friends a lot which is so not fair to them and I should give them more credit. They love me for me but I just don't want them to see me like this.

Seriously, why do we do this to ourselves? We are beautiful ( and handsome ) the way we are. Why can't we accept that?

:comfort:

I just want to be care free and go out and do things without thinking twice about my face, I want it more than I can describe. I'm not asking for perfection, just enough that I'm not forced to have my world revolving around how my skin will look that day. I feel like I would give just about anything to have that now.

i feel the same. i didn't have to worry about my skin when i was really young, but i don't even remember what that feels like. i don't suffer from breakouts every day, but i have really oily skin. i still worry about it constantly, just like if i were to have a pimple.

Edited by indayden_den

i avoid eating ALOT of food.

i avoid going out.

i avoid studying because im so distraught.

i avoid being myself, being out there.

i avoid being me.

Edited by MikeyMCG

i once only drank coffee the whole day noting to eat.... that broke me out on my scalp for some reason.. so i avoid coffee :(

Thinking about all the things i have missed due to my skins is quite upsetting and really does make you realise how much your missing out on and how its stopping you from being YOU. Here some events ocasions i have missed.

- Going out drinking with friend due to my acne makes me look 12

- spending a romantic weekend at my girlfriends house dont want to see her becuase my skin looks awfull

- Missing days of school becuase you cant bare to look at anyone

- Mising hair appointments because you daren't look in the mirror

- Eating at school i just sit there with a bottle of water LOL

- I sometime spend lunch on my own due to it been last few weeks of schoo and everyone is taking pictures a go for a walk out of school on my own becuase i cant stand having my picture taken.

I sit there thinking the things i would do different if i had clear skin. And it makes me angry becuase i want to do all these things more than anything but my skin holds you back so much. And its so hard to say " right lets forget about my skin and just go out " as your always thinking about it.

I WOULD DO ANYTHING IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW TO HAVE MY CLEAR SKINS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im planning on missing a vacation to disney world because all the red marks left by acne...not that much the acne...i dont breakout as often..

im planning on missing pool days ..wich is everyday ...when all my friends go and play ping pong and have a blast ....

iv missed parties movies ...everything fun you can imagine iv missed...

it makes me really sad to know that this summer all im going to do is work and stay home...but at least ill have my xbox 360 to play with ....oo yeah and right now all my friends are at the park playing soccer something they do everyday...but instead of going i decided to stay home

you really shouldnt let some red marks keep you from doing all that, i know its easier said than done but if you participate in all of those things your making a huge step towards overcoming post acne deression.

whats your xbox live gamertag, ill add you haha!