Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
djoba

if you only ate lean protein and vegetables

would you never have acne again?

for example what if all you ate was egg whites, chicken breast, broccoli, tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, carrots, etc.

You would suffer from rabbit starvation.

Humans have an upper limit for protein digestion. It normally is ~40% of total calories. Once you pass that you start having rabbit starvation which could ultimately be fatal. You need a mix of carbs and fats to fill at least the other 60% of your diet, and you won't get that eating non-starchy vegetables and restricting fat.

this would basically be the anti-candida diet and similar to how past generations ate before the advent of processed fake food.

I'd suggest adding a lot of healthy fat from sources like Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Avocado, nuts if you can tolerate them and you'd have a solid plan.

Diet is a huge part of reducing inflammation and curing the underlying cause to your acne.

PANIC

I do not believe acne is related to the way we eat, although EVERYONE SHOULD EAT HEALTHY whether they have acne or not.

One way or another, it seems like everyone on this forum discovers their body cannot digest a certain protein: Citrus allergy (protein in the citrus fruit), soy, nuts, yeast, Celiac Disease (gluten protein). Each person has a unique body and their immune system is geared toward a different protein.

Edited by Dotty1

You would need some fat, at least.

I think eggs break me out.. every time I eat eggs, I will break out the next day.

Eddie same here eggs always break me out the next day.. why is that you think tho... possibly the high fat being hard on the liver??

similar to how past generations ate before the advent of processed fake food.

Huh? Which generations would that be? Eskimos appear to have eaten vegetables only when faced with starvation. South Sea islanders generally ate large amounts of starchy tubers. The Romans ate a lot of grains. Some Africans were primarily meat eaters (especially if you include drinking cows blood as "meat").

Past generations ate all manner of different things around the world, but not a lot of them looked like a chicken breast + low GI vegetable diet.

Huh? Which generations would that be? Eskimos appear to have eaten vegetables only when faced with starvation. South Sea islanders generally ate large amounts of starchy tubers. The Romans ate a lot of grains. Some Africans were primarily meat eaters (especially if you include drinking cows blood as "meat").

Past generations ate all manner of different things around the world, but not a lot of them looked like a chicken breast + low GI vegetable diet.

true words.

Guest DireStraits

Panic i think you need to be more specific as to which generation you are talking about.

And if i read another person making a comparison with cavemen im going to go crazy. Oh and the whole candida thing is blown out of proportion on this section of the board.

Edited by DireStraits

Well, only 1/10 of the first posts said you'd die, so I guess that's good.

A lean protein and veggie, specifically green veggie diet is a great tool for rapid weight loss, and can be sustained for a moderate period of time (a couple months). It is not a good long term diet strategy. Dietary fat plays a huge role in our bodies, hormone regulation, softer skin, better nails, improved hair texture just to name a few. If you cut it out completely for long enough you're going to suffer bigtime. You can however completely eliminate carbs from your diet and sustain it indefinitely.

Well, only 1/10 of the first posts said you'd die, so I guess that's good.

A lean protein and veggie, specifically green veggie diet is a great tool for rapid weight loss, and can be sustained for a moderate period of time (a couple months). It is not a good long term diet strategy. Dietary fat plays a huge role in our bodies, hormone regulation, softer skin, better nails, improved hair texture just to name a few. If you cut it out completely for long enough you're going to suffer bigtime. You can however completely eliminate carbs from your diet and sustain it indefinitely.

If you were forced to, but you don't need to and I don't think you'd want to. You'd be cutting out a lot of nutritious and delicious foods.

for example what if all you ate was egg whites, chicken breast, broccoli, tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, carrots, etc.

i did a very similar diet about 3 years ago and all my body acne cleared up. my face has always been pretty clear. basically all i ate was steam/can fish, steam chicken breast, boiled eggs, natural almonds, extra virgin olive oil, and steam vegetables. no fruits, no salt, no sugar, no added stuff. also no going out to eat. within a matter of 2 months all my body acne was GONE. to speed up the process i also went to the gym about 3 times a week and about 3 hours of sun each week. i got lazy and the acne came back. i am really thinking about doing it over again just to see if it will work.

Edited by thelastword

i did a very similar diet about 3 years ago and all my body acne cleared up. my face has always been pretty clear. basically all i ate was steam/can fish, steam chicken breast, boiled eggs, natural almonds, extra virgin olive oil, and steam vegetables. no fruits, no salt, no sugar, no added stuff. also no going out to eat. within a matter of 2 months all my body acne was GONE. to speed up the process i also went to the gym about 3 times a week and about 3 hours of sun each week. i got lazy and the acne came back. i am really thinking about doing it over again just to see if it will work.

Emphasis on the extra virgin olive oil. OP, you need to either add carbs or fat to your chicken and vegetables diet. Acne wise, adding fats like EVOO or coconut oil would be better.

Just because a group of people lived on a certain diet 100 years ago doesn't mean it is healthy.

"Eskimos," for example, ate mostly raw meat and blubber. The long-term health effects are unknown due to their lifestyle which killed many of them or caused many health problems. For example:

At menarche, Athabaskan girls were placed in covered holes in the ground for six months beginning at their first menstruation because tribal males believed the girls' blood was evil. She urinated and deficated on herself, never saw sunlight and the mothers would push food down into the hole. The mortality rate was so high amongst the pubescent Eskimo girls when Russians arrived that the Russians outright banned the practice.

Eskimo tribes ate raw meat and frequently they ate the animal when it was still alive (still practiced in Korea). Sea life up in the northern waters is CRAWLING with parasites. You can cut a fish open and see the worms crawling. So many of these people were infested with parasites which would greatly decrease the lifespan.

One example: One-hundred-day-old-egg is a well-known "Eskimo" delicacy. A fertilized bird egg is placed into the warm, moist sand on the beach for three months. The egg is then removed from the ground, with or without maggots, and then eaten raw. This last example shows that just because people ate a certain way 80 years ago does not mean we should too.

Century Egg / 100-Day-Old-Egg: http://www.marlerblog.com/10092007078.jpg

When all of these lifestyle factors are taken into account, one cannot accurately judge whether their diet of raw meat and blubber was an ideal diet for health or if it merely sustained them.

Edited by Dotty1

The Maasai tribes consumes primarily meat, milk and blood, although they now occasionally include beans and maize.

Researchers found that Maasai regularly consume Acacia nilotica, a plant containing cholesterol-lowering saponins. Maasai who don't have access to the bitter plants tend to develop heart disease while those who cook with the herb have no evidence of heart disease whatsoever.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maasai

Edited by Dotty1

Dotty, your quote about Masai is just misleading. Here is the actual quote: " those urban Maasai who don't have access to the bitter plants tend to develop heart disease."

The quote doesn't say anything about Masai people who live traditionally, just that those who live in urban areas (lots of sugar and refined foods) seem to benefit from the plant, which is probably just caused because those who use the plant are also more likely to follow their traditional diet rather than a modern diet.

And yeah, I think it's pretty ridiculous to claim the Eskimo diet is "healthy". Humans were not meant to live in such an extreme environment. Their diet is chronically deficient in magnesium, which plays a big role in atherosclerosis and osteoporosis. Add vegetables, nuts, and fruits to their diet and you're set.

Dotty, your quote about Masai is just misleading. Here is the actual quote: " those urban Maasai who don't have access to the bitter plants tend to develop heart disease."

The quote doesn't say anything about Masai people who live traditionally, just that those who live in urban areas (lots of sugar and refined foods) seem to benefit from the plant, which is probably just caused because those who use the plant are also more likely to follow their traditional diet rather than a modern diet.

And yeah, I think it's pretty ridiculous to claim the Eskimo diet is "healthy". Humans were not meant to live in such an extreme environment. Their diet is chronically deficient in magnesium, which plays a big role in atherosclerosis and osteoporosis. Add vegetables, nuts, and fruits to their diet and you're set.

I must be really tired tonight. Sorry about that.

I should have been a bit more specific, but I was referring to hunter gather societies. I'm sure you know what they ate so need to explain that here. The other point I'm trying to make here is we live in such a go go go world now days, that processed food, that's pretty much dead has become a staple of our diet. The Romans might have ate grains, but they sure as hell didn't eat the same crap that we call grains today.

PANIC

Panic i think you need to be more specific as to which generation you are talking about.

Your right I definitely should have been more specific there....

And if i read another person making a comparison with cavemen im going to go crazy. Oh and the whole candida thing is blown out of proportion on this section of the board.

Haven't been a regular member of this board until the past 6 months so I can't say how over-blown the candida routine is here, but I definitely know its big big issue today that doesn't get enough attention and is behind a lot of people's skin issues. I know several people on this board off the top of my head that had/have candida issues and were/are clearing their skin by addressing it. Others might point to it as the cause for everything, but that would be flat out wrong.

Nothing wrong with giving the caveman some healthy attention! haha I'm reading Good Calories Bad Calories at the moment, that's most likely where the Paleo references are coming from.

PANIC

Edited by Panic!!