Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
littlebit

Derma/CIT rolling and/or needling - Results only please!

I'm looking for people on this forum that have had positive results after at least six months from their final session of derma/CIT rolling or needling and who continue to improve. There are a lot of threads on this subject here but no real results thread so I would like to know if this is method is worth the time and expense or not.

Please list your type of scar and the severity of them, the start date and type of treatment (all over rolling or single needle method), number of treatments, products used, and who performed the treatments. If you could also list your age and gender that would be helpful.

My understanding is that one must start on a regimen of Retin-A before starting the treatment. My treatment protocol after my hours upon hours of research will involve the following:

Use of Retin-A on Mon. - Wed. - Fri. for at least 3 months prior to rolling/needling and continued use of these products except for on 1.5mm rolling, needling day. Use of a smaller roller 0.3mm for product penetration weekly on Wed. only. (Starting with 0.25 Retin-A gel, been using for a couple of months now but not real regularly.)

Daily AM and PM use of Vitamin C spray (DIY of equal parts MAP and Absorbic Acid in fresh for each use in distilled water.)

Weekly - Sunday evening 50% glycolic acid peel left on for 10 minutes. (Do a search for my posts to see the amazing results of the peels with Vitamin C alone.) But please don't post here about it!

1.5mm rolling day - After rolling, use of "Let's Make Collagen" by Skin Actives. This product has had great reviews on Makeupalley. I will do the 1.5mm roll every 8 weeks for 6 sessions. I also plan to use on my thighs for some cellulite and sagging skin but this will come later!

About me: 42 year old female with some rolling scars around chin area, large indention on forehead (size of a dime), three indentions on right cheek, and approximately 3 or 4 deeper ice pick scars. I have alot more shallow icepick scars all over the rest of my face that are barely noticable with makeup and not too terriblly noticable unless you are way up close.

Will post before and after pics if I decide to do this. I will continue my Retin-A regime, My Vitamin C (currently mixing MAP (vit. C) with standard base cream AM and PM except for PM on Retin-A days and my 50% glycolic on Sundays. With this routine alone, I have seen improvments in my skin and I have not been regular.

Thanks!

Edited by littlebit

Hi!

I am rather ambivalent about dermarolling because I believe that it helps a lot of people, and some, not so much. However...

There are people who do not post as much anymore, because they've had such positive results and past the 6 month timeframe of which you speak of. Unfortunately, (or fortunately) those of us remaining are still in the stages of pre- or into the initial stages of treatment.

I myself have seen positive results that I believe to be permanent. I have a few smaller scars that have improved past 8 months from individual needling, and some deeper ones that I just started, mind you, tackling a couple of months ago. So I have seen some positive results, it's just that the deeper ones will take more time I think! So, I have experience on both spectrums of the initial and intermediate stages.

So, yes. I think it's totally worth going into. Your method looks good, but I would suggest that you try individually needling some of the deeper, isolated scars that bother you the most. You would probably find that you get faster, better results with individual needling, rather than dermarolling alone.

Thanks for your reply smoothmove. That is a shame that those with positive results have left.

I did read your thread and thanks for that. I never thought of using lancets before and I had some at home so I needled four places on my forehead last night to see.

I am going to follow your advise about the individual needling. What I am confused about is how often to needle as there is some conflicting information out there. Some say 6 to 8 weeks to let your skin remodel otherwise you are esstentially undoing what you have done.

One last thing... I'm not sure if I did it right. I poked one small ice pick just a few times and bled like crazy so I stopped. I did the same for the others, poked them until they bled. Because the icepicks are small and thin though deep, it is hard to see what you are doing after it starts bleeding. How do people handle that? It also did not hurt with the first poke, but with the other pokes in or around the same hole, it hurt. Nothing that I could not stand.

Thanks for your insight. I'll start my own log with pictures; I took a bunch yesterday. Right now I'm looking for a site to post them on so I can link to them. Any suggestions on where to upload the shots would also be appreciated.

To be safe, especially when you're just starting out, don't needle the same spot until at least a month has gone by. Now, you are right about there being conflicting info about wait times. There is one user on here, munsoned, who wrote a while back, saying he was needling or dermarolling clusters of deeper scars more often. I think he said something like every couple of weeks, and then waiting 1-2 months after all the needling, before starting again. But, he hadn't started this until after he'd been dermarolling for about a year, and was looking to get results faster.

I spoke to him recently, and he claims he is still has maintained results through this method. If you read my thread, you probably saw that I sort of tested that out on one scar, and the results are good.

As long as your needling at a safe depth, it is alright to bleed a lot, as some of us bleed more than others, myself included. I have to use a lot of cotton balls soaked in alcohol as I'm going, because the scar does seem to disappear. As you're needling, just go by judgment, it's ok to needle a little outside of the scar, just make sure you cover the base of it well enough. Also, the forehead requires less of the needle, because it's thinner there, just in case you know.

Edited by smoothmove

I have needled scars on my face for approximately 3 months now. I was needling very frequently at first, like once every 2 weeks or less. I thought that some of my scars were actually worse from needling but it was just due to inflammation and I believe overneedling. The people that say to wait between needling sessions are right. The scars I thought looked worse have reduced in appearance. It was mainly due to the redness and inflammation that made them look worse. It's been about 3 weeks since I last needled those scars and they are not too noticeable anymore. I believe that the shallowest scar has actually improved of these 3.

My deepest scars and icepicks, I can't say I've noticed much improvement. I think some improvement has occured but not enough for them to be near level with the surrounding skin. I believe needling takes a long time, and that for deep scars it will probably take up to a year to notice real improvements. I think that those with darker skin tones probably respond the quickest to needling, and people who have a tendency to develop keloids. I believe this happens due to the darker skin tones probably producing more collagen compared to lighter skin tones in healing, but I can't be sure of this, just a feeling.

Anyways, I'm going to continue needling the deep scars and icepicks for probably another years worth of time hoping to notice a nice improvement. I don't think any of my scars have worsened from needling, but I use individual lancets which are approximately 1.5 mm long.

Also, I could tell I was needling too much because I was getting a yellowish tint in the areas around the needling areas. This was due to bruising. If you needle to frequently without enough healing time in between, you risk bruising which doesn't look nice. I had needling marks and a yellow tint to my skin which lasted approximately 2 1/2 weeks due to overneedling. I recommend waiting around a month between needling sessions.

I have needled scars on my face for approximately 3 months now. I was needling very frequently at first, like once every 2 weeks or less. I thought that some of my scars were actually worse from needling but it was just due to inflammation and I believe overneedling. The people that say to wait between needling sessions are right. The scars I thought looked worse have reduced in appearance. It was mainly due to the redness and inflammation that made them look worse. It's been about 3 weeks since I last needled those scars and they are not too noticeable anymore. I believe that the shallowest scar has actually improved of these 3.

My deepest scars and icepicks, I can't say I've noticed much improvement. I think some improvement has occured but not enough for them to be near level with the surrounding skin. I believe needling takes a long time, and that for deep scars it will probably take up to a year to notice real improvements. I think that those with darker skin tones probably respond the quickest to needling, and people who have a tendency to develop keloids. I believe this happens due to the darker skin tones probably producing more collagen compared to lighter skin tones in healing, but I can't be sure of this, just a feeling.

Anyways, I'm going to continue needling the deep scars and icepicks for probably another years worth of time hoping to notice a nice improvement. I don't think any of my scars have worsened from needling, but I use individual lancets which are approximately 1.5 mm long.

Also, I could tell I was needling too much because I was getting a yellowish tint in the areas around the needling areas. This was due to bruising. If you needle to frequently without enough healing time in between, you risk bruising which doesn't look nice. I had needling marks and a yellow tint to my skin which lasted approximately 2 1/2 weeks due to overneedling. I recommend waiting around a month between needling sessions.

I cant help but wonder reading this. If you have ice pick scars, why arent you using tca cross? It would be likely to reduce them within 6 months to a year, whilst needling might take several years. surely you want the quickest result possible instead of dragging out treatments? It doesnt create much more redness than just needling anyway.

Ok, I uploaded a bunch photos of different parts of my face and my scars and I am mortified at how bad my skin is! I have bad sun damage as well.

So I did a pretty good needling session today to some scars on my forehead and photographed so I should be able to track progress. I also plan to have a full face subcision with surgiwire and some fat transfers coming up in the next month or two. Luckily I now have the $2000 to do it.

If someone can help me share the photos, you all will be able to track my progress. The pictures are my commitment to myself to get serious about my skin care. And they are on keepandshare. Should I start a new thread?

I also like the calendar feature that they have on this site. If people would post their routines to their calendars, it would make progress easier to track.

Edited by littlebit

littlebit, after 6 months I still had plenty of work to do. So if 6 months is all you plan on doing I don't know if it is worth it or not? I have been at it at least a year and a half if not longer? And my journey continues. But it has def been worth it for me because my skin is always improving. And it has come a long ways from where it was when I started. It takes some effort, work, patience, and persistence. But if you keep at it you can make drastic improvements on certain scars.

I cant help but wonder reading this. If you have ice pick scars, why arent you using tca cross? It would be likely to reduce them within 6 months to a year, whilst needling might take several years. surely you want the quickest result possible instead of dragging out treatments? It doesnt create much more redness than just needling anyway.

Probably achieve the most if you used both methods. Needling allows you to treat large area's of your skin while tca cross allows you to pin point deeper scars like deep ice picks like individual needling does.

I'm not comfortable doing the TCA cross. Right now, I started individual needling and I will definately commit to as long as it takes.

Not sure what the difference is between the nokor needle and the surgiwire. All I know is that my Dr. invented the surgiwire and I feel very comfortable with his expertise.

Munsoned, are you doing needling with the LED lamps or just on its own?

For the record, I needled once and it made most of the scars I did it on slightly deeper. I think I probably did it too deeply. They were only shallow scars and my skin is quite thin. I think you need to remember to take your own skin thickness into consideration when deciding what depth to needle at.

Munsoned, are you doing needling with the LED lamps or just on its own?

For the record, I needled once and it made most of the scars I did it on slightly deeper. I think I probably did it too deeply. They were only shallow scars and my skin is quite thin. I think you need to remember to take your own skin thickness into consideration when deciding what depth to needle at.

Floss, I used a red/blue led for roughly 6 months of my first year of rolling. The second half of that first year. And I now am using only a yellow led.