Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey I know this seems like a general question everybody asks, but Mine is more of a rhetorical one.

I guess I want to see what others think/ feel on the subject of being what we consider to be "Normal"

I can say without a shadow of a doubt my skin really has improved a lot since I got off Roaccutane (isotretinoin) that was THE worst decision i ever made in my life. it left me royally screwed and worse for wear.

I'll share with you what I have recently found to work and stick to these days.

1st: I have come to the conclusion the more abuse we deal to our skin the worse the whole situation can rapidly become.

2nd: Having realised this painfully obvious fact, we need to also give our skin a break now and then.

I was Referred to a Derm, who Insisted that I take Isotretanoin to treat my skin condition,

well That ended up disastrous! to say it failed would be a gross understatement!

I developed psoriasis and horrible horrible severe dryness, and of corse scarring just about everywhere!

My skin was looking so bedraggled and just really worn out.

I was so depressed and finally after exausting all my available options and having nowhere else to turn. I did some research and discovered some astonishing and rather quite amazing facts that changed my overall perspective on skin care remedies.

Fact: For instance Did you know that most over the counter medicine intended for 'treating' acne is chalf full of harmful skin reactants that end up irriatating and thereby worsening your skin in the long run?. Yep I found that out the hard way.

So Expensive, so Time consuming and So thoroughly disappointing.

To sum it up I have not used anymore topical, oral or prescribed methods, since even when my skin seemed to be getting 'better' in reality it was actually just masking the problem not getting to the Root cause.

So after an innitial self examination, I began a sort of 'zit diary' so to speak, where I would record my progress with only "1" product use at a time. After a few unsatisfied results ( i say that lightly) I then switched over to a new "Acne Killer of the Month" routine. That never worked for me either

So I began to research a little more, more pertinently Studies of Natural and Organic properties that have very promising benefits . I saw a few 'before and after' pics of people who were Strictly vegans, stuck to the programme they created and their end results were remarkable!

That right then and there got me rethinking my strategies setting me on a path of self-discovery , experimenting with what suits my skin best and eventually , over the moon to a sucessful attempt at clearing my painful cystic acne for good!

However proudly now I can safely say those days of self wollowing and suicidal tendancies are slowly fading away, along with my scars.

I still have scars( mind though they have lightened so significantly they're hardly that noticeable anymore) still have side effects such as Light Sensitivity from the Isotretanoin, but I can happily say I am far better off than when I began this nightmare known as Acne.

Not to mention the fact I am Agorophobic and I know I have a long way to go before I ever consider myself normal again. but Positive thinking and the right methods have benefited me immensely!

Here's Exactly what I use to keep my skin looking healthy and in control;

Soap Wash;

Dr Organic (Natural) Manuka Honey (30+ factor) Soap.

This is so great, non drying and it has beneficial moisturising as well as anti inflammatory properties.

So it minimizes nasty redness and keeps your skin soft and fully nourished throughout the day!

= ) Best ever in my opinion

ACV (Apple Cidar Vinegar) + Lime juice + Pure Honey home-madeformula;

This for me is what has kept my nasty cystic sores at bay, it works in almost perfect unison with oneanother

The ACV zaps the spots, reducing them overnight, and the Lime is great at lightening the redness and improves the look of older' faded and pitted scars. While the Honey as mentioned before acts as a fantastic anti-redness factor!

All those pesky little bumps and zits (incl white and black heads) get zapped and fade away with a consistent use of this formula.

Method;

In a glass (or what I do is fill a bottle, preferebly a 250 ml soda one) fill with half pure water (bottled or alternative)

and add 1 to 2 tblspoons of the ACV followed by 2 or 3 tspoons of the Lime Juice (store bought organic lime juice is fine)

finally adding 1 or 2 tblspoons of the Honey (the consistency may vary, so I reccomend placing the Honey bottle in lukewarm water first) and stir in with a spatula or spoon.

This mixture can last up to 3 weeks before it begins to smell offish.

Application; I find it easier to use a cotton swab ball to apply this, Only dotting the spots with a gentle motion to begin with mind.

I highly suggest testing a patch of skin (i.e the small of your forearm) you're not worried about showing, in case you experience adverse reactions to it.

Night time; I found great masks with productive outcomes to use.

Best one is an Avocado and Greek Yogurt with Honey (contrary to belief, Full Fat works best!) mask.

Method; Peel an avo, making sure to keep as much of the green skin as possible!

Place in a blender or simply crush with the flat of a knife or spoon

Next add the Yogurt and beat well, after attaining a good consistency (thick and light) add a spoonful of honey for good measure.

place in a refrigerator overnight, or use immediately if desired

bottomline: It leaves your skin feeling totally alive and re-awakened, nourishing and soothing at the same time.

I will update this later with more recipes if Anyone (at all?) is interested.

Lol ya know because of having gone through all this kak, I might end up being a Therapist someday or poss even a Health Columnist, helping others! what a great profession.

Seeing the brighter side to acne?. never in my wildest dreams thought it likely

I hope this has been uplifting to read and not the other way around. I only wanted to share my personal story to hopefully inspire others in similar situations to Persevere and Never give up or lose face.

I know it's hard , and it's easy to just say "smile, things will get better" I really do empathise more than I ever have with people who have suffered so needlessly.

Guys You're all Beautiful in your own special way! Don't let others or Even yourself get in the way of what you truly want most out of life.

Someday you WILL be Normal again.

Have faith and stay safe!

!

Edited by Durbaniter~Zitigated

I guess I want to see what others think/ feel on the subject of being what we consider to be "Normal"

!

Uhhh.. normal..normal.. what a foreign word. :D Hmm... I think that when my chin stops being a popular holiday resort for cysts, I'll start at least *looking* normal. As for when I'll start *feeling* normal, that's a different story altogether. I've had acne for so long that the experience has become firmly embedded in the skin of my psyche. In other words, having acne has made me who I am today. And unlike acne, that's not something that can be erased with any amount of topical or oral medication.

Acne has influenced my view normality. To me, normality is...

- not inching away when somebody gets close enough to my face to see the new cyst on my chin.

- not furtively looking down and scurrying away when somebody (especially a cute guy) stares at me

- not waking up in the morning filled with dread at the thought of a new bump forming on my face overnight.

In other words, to me, normality is not having to worry about my acne and its adverse impact on my interpersonal relationships!

I can say without a shadow of a doubt my skin really has improved a lot since I got off Roaccutane (isotretinoin) that was THE worst decision i ever made in my life. it left me royally screwed and worse for wear.

I'm so sorry to hear that you had such a hard time with accutane. I hope that the nasty side effects will diminish with more time. :(

For instance Did you know that most over the counter medicine intended for 'treating' acne is chalf full of harmful skin reactants that end up irriatating and thereby worsening your skin in the long run?. Yep I found that out the hard way.

Hmm.. yes I agree that there are alot of crappy OTC medicines out there *cough* clearasil *cough* that just exacerbate the skin problems of their users. I'm glad to hear that you've found more natural alternatives to maintaining clear skin.

I know it's hard , and it's easy to just say "smile, things will get better" I really do empathise more than I ever have with people who have suffered so needlessly.

Guys You're all Beautiful in your own special way! Don't let others or Even yourself get in the way of what you truly want most out of life.

This made me smile. remember that you're beautiful too. :) So is your writing ability. *steals it*

Uhhh.. normal..normal.. what a foreign word. :D Hmm... I think that when my chin stops being a popular holiday resort for cysts, I'll start at least *looking* normal. As for when I'll start *feeling* normal, that's a different story altogether. I've had acne for so long that the experience has become firmly embedded in the skin of my psyche. In other words, having acne has made me who I am today. And unlike acne, that's not something that can be erased with any amount of topical or oral medication.

Acne has influenced my view normality. To me, normality is...

- not inching away when somebody gets close enough to my face to see the new cyst on my chin.

- not furtively looking down and scurrying away when somebody (especially a cute guy) stares at me

- not waking up in the morning filled with dread at the thought of a new bump forming on my face overnight.

In other words, to me, normality is not having to worry about my acne and its adverse impact on my interpersonal relationships!

I'm so sorry to hear that you had such a hard time with accutane. I hope that the nasty side effects will diminish with more time. :(

Hmm.. yes I agree that there are alot of crappy OTC medicines out there *cough* clearasil *cough* that just exacerbate the skin problems of their users. I'm glad to hear that you've found more natural alternatives to maintaining clear skin.

This made me smile. remember that you're beautiful too. :) So is your writing ability. *steals it*

Thanks, I appreciate your honesty!

I'm also happy that I discovered if not a cure than simply a treatment that works best for me and my skin!.

Ugh yeah Clearasil..what a crock of shiz that stuff is! Clear My ass!

it breaks you out even worse than what you began with. anyways..no Negativity. must keep positive. must have "happy" thoughts . must not contemplate the slow and painful demise of said company and all their employees.. :naughty:

Ah sorry that you too, have gone through such a Hard time hey. you know you shouldn't have to be made to feel awkward or 'invisible' around others, especially People you are clearly attracted to!

If I could have one wish come true, it would be to eradicate The Evil that is Acne, purging it from the very existence of this world, setting sufferers free and beautifying the world over!

someday someway somehow, somebody has gotta come up with a sure fire way to nullify it for good! you telling me we can cure Cancer (well just about most forms now, if caught in its earliest stage of development) and other non-life threatening diseases these days, but Acne, a simple skin condition is the Exception?

Ludicrous :eh:

As for the compliment on my writing skills, I've always since a youngster tried to learn and grow in all aspects of my life. writing is just one such key element that I persued further.

I'm not a brilliant writer by no means. So it's a confidence booster to get noticed and complimented for the lessons having paid off!.

And you're more than welcome to Steal it if you like, if you can invent some sort of a skill stealing device it's all yours ;) reminds me of the Game the Sims (formally Maxis created), where a sim could basically rip the skills out of another with a sort of vacuum-like contraption

:lol: my mind does tend to wonder..

:doh:

Hey I know this seems like a general question everybody asks, but Mine is more of a rhetorical one.

1st: I have come to the conclusion the more abuse we deal to our skin the worse the whole situation can rapidly become.

2nd: Having realised this painfully obvious fact, we need to also give our skin a break now and then.

I was Referred to a Derm, who Insisted that I take Isotretanoin to treat my skin condition,

well That ended up disastrous! to say it failed would be a gross understatement!

I developed psoriasis and horrible horrible severe dryness, and of corse scarring just about everywhere!

I was so depressed and finally after exausting all my available options and having nowhere else to turn. I did some research and discovered some astonishing and rather quite amazing facts that changed my overall perspective on skin care remedies.

Fact: For instance Did you know that most over the counter medicine intended for 'treating' acne is chalf full of harmful skin reactants that end up irriatating and thereby worsening your skin in the long run?. Yep I found that out the hard way.

To sum it up I have not used anymore topical, oral or prescribed methods, since even when my skin seemed to be getting 'better' in reality it was actually just masking the problem not getting to the Root cause.

So after an innitial self examination, I began a sort of 'zit diary' so to speak, where I would record my progress with only "1" product use at a time. After a few unsatisfied results ( i say that lightly) I then switched over to a new "Acne Killer of the Month" routine. That never worked for me either

So I began to research a little more, more pertinently Studies of Natural and Organic properties that have very promising benefits . I saw a few 'before and after' pics of people who were Strictly vegans, stuck to the programme they created and their end results were remarkable!

That right then and there got me rethinking my strategies setting me on a path of self-discovery , experimenting with what suits my skin best and eventually , over the moon to a sucessful attempt at clearing my painful cystic acne for good!

However proudly now I can safely say those days of self wollowing and suicidal tendancies are slowly fading away, along with my scars.

I still have scars( mind though they have lightened so significantly they're hardly that noticeable anymore) still have side effects such as Light Sensitivity from the Isotretanoin, but I can happily say I am far better off than when I began this nightmare known as Acne.

Not to mention the fact I am Agorophobic and I know I have a long way to go before I ever consider myself normal again. but Positive thinking and the right methods have benefited me immensely!

Soap Wash;

This is so great, non drying and it has beneficial moisturising as well as anti inflammatory properties.

So it minimizes nasty redness and keeps your skin soft and fully nourished throughout the day!

This for me is what has kept my nasty cystic sores at bay, it works in almost perfect unison with oneanother

The ACV zaps the spots, reducing them overnight, and the Lime is great at lightening the redness and improves the look of older' faded and pitted scars. While the Honey as mentioned before acts as a fantastic anti-redness factor!

All those pesky little bumps and zits (incl white and black heads) get zapped and fade away with a consistent use of this formula.

Method;

In a glass (or what I do is fill a bottle, preferebly a 250 ml soda one) fill with half pure water (bottled or alternative)

and add 1 to 2 tblspoons of the ACV followed by 2 or 3 tspoons of the Lime Juice (store bought organic lime juice is fine)

finally adding 1 or 2 tblspoons of the Honey (the consistency may vary, so I reccomend placing the Honey bottle in lukewarm water first) and stir in with a spatula or spoon.

Application; I find it easier to use a cotton swab ball to apply this, Only dotting the spots with a gentle motion to begin with mind.

I highly suggest testing a patch of skin (i.e the small of your forearm) you're not worried about showing, in case you experience adverse reactions to it.

Best one is an Avocado and Greek Yogurt with Honey (contrary to belief, Full Fat works best!) mask.

Next add the Yogurt and beat well, after attaining a good consistency (thick and light) add a spoonful of honey for good measure.

bottomline: It leaves your skin feeling totally alive and re-awakened, nourishing and soothing at the same time.

Lol ya know because of having gone through all this kak, I might end up being a Therapist someday or poss even a Health Columnist, helping others! what a great profession.

I hope this has been uplifting to read and not the other way around. I only wanted to share my personal story to hopefully inspire others in similar situations to Persevere and Never give up or lose face.

!

In order to feel "normal" I use layers of makeup, which I know is only hiding the problem, and makes me feel like a diseased leper that has to cover up my ailment. :-S.

Great post by the way. I really appreciated your natural recipes. Can you tell me the other things you did to finally get clear? Thanks and great attitude!! :) I too am contemplating going into skin care in some way.

Soap Wash;

Method;

!

In order to feel "normal" I use layers of makeup, which I know is only hiding the problem, and makes me feel like a diseased leper that has to cover up my ailment. :-S.

Great post by the way. I really appreciated your natural recipes. Can you tell me the other things you did to finally get clear? Thanks and great attitude!! :) I too am contemplating going into skin care in some way.

Hey thanks a lot for ressurecting this post I'd forgotten about! oh and Of course i'd be willing to share ;)

I simply have been sticking to an All-natural and toxin flushing skin regime.

You Really should check out ABG Fairy's page! Here's her Thread.. over at the Nutrition and Holistic health page

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/FABULOUS-...-G-t108917.html

She has amazing "green smoothie" recipes that, when coupled with taking Natural substances such as Honey, Green tea (extract in tablet/ pill form) and atopical applications, really Has benefitted not only me but 3 other people I offered some advice to.

Basically, Green Smoothies are Fruit and veggies (and some salads) pureed in a blender, but Do Not worry you have no horrid aftertaste of the veggies or the greens, the Fruit used is so delicious and very good for you, you won't even notice or taste them there!

The Mask, I suggest you begin Lightly!

I.e do not use Yogurt, instead just use the Avo, Honey and perhaps a teaspoon of lemon or lime.

It's far easier to maintain.

Thanks again for your response and.. (feel free to check out my other content. threads such as "Niacin, Green tea and Zinc")

Take Care &

Happy Skin Healing

= )

JJ

Edited by Durbaniter~Zitigated

Its like you read my mind... and probably everyone's on this site.

I feel like I've become such a weak person since I've gotten acne

I live in a campus house with some friends and I've stopped coming out of my room to go to the bathroom and eat. I'll hold off drinking water just so i don't have to step outside.

On the days that I need to.. I'll stack on the makeup and its still so obvious.

Foundation only clogs my pores and clings to the skin peeling off of my face.

The benzoyl peroxide washes and creams has improved my skin but not without a price. I am peeling and wrinkling everywhere; my forehead looks 40 when I'm 18.

I want to quit studying because I don't want to see people anymore.

I totally agree with you when you said that its ridiculous that there's so many new cures being discovered for life threatening diseases and yet.. so many people have to struggle through a simple bacterial skin disease.

It might not physically take your life away.. but acne is mentally traumatizing.

Everyday I see my face in the mirror and I just want to cry. I can't concentrate on anything else. I'm about to fail this semester and I can't seem to care.

I don't want to be like this anymore..

- AC

Normal is simply a social construct. It is very fluid. That's how I define normality. Or perhaps the absence of abnormality, which is also a socially constructed standard.

I'm glad you found something that worked for you. That is important. And that you acknowledge that there are varying treatments out there for others. That is key. Everyone is different and I'm glad you and others haven't given up hope in finding what works for you.

And regardless, everyone is beautiful in my eyes. Inside and out. <3