Notifications
Clear all

To Aquaphor or not?

MemberMember
(@coxy)

Posted : 05/26/2010 8:41 am

Well I am sure this has probably been on this site time and time again but I juts dont know how I feel about applying this thick greasy cream to my chin - which incidentally is breaking out mentally and swollen and nasty - but is also of course dry and scaly and itchy!

I did apply it last night but spent the whole night worrying about whether it would make me errupt even more - can I have your thoughts as to whether to are all using this even though you are breaking out and whether it makes things worse in the spot department.

Thanks peeps

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 05/26/2010 11:40 am

Aquaphor doesn't cause breakouts; it's also so 'neutral' that compounding pharmacies use it (or petroleum jelly) to add medications to.

MemberMember
(@123456789q)

Posted : 05/26/2010 7:05 pm

Aquaphor has lanolin alcohol, which is comedogenic. (will clog your pores)

Jenjen77 liked
MemberMember
(@mom2teen1996)

Posted : 05/26/2010 10:42 pm

Well I am sure this has probably been on this site time and time again but I juts dont know how I feel about applying this thick greasy cream to my chin - which incidentally is breaking out mentally and swollen and nasty - but is also of course dry and scaly and itchy!

I did apply it last night but spent the whole night worrying about whether it would make me errupt even more - can I have your thoughts as to whether to are all using this even though you are breaking out and whether it makes things worse in the spot department.

Thanks peeps

My son is on 20 mg Accutane on Day 11...anyway we saw dr today and she said she didn't want him using Aquaphor....she said cetaphil moisturizer with spf for face and NeoStrata lip conditioner with spf for lips.

Just her opinion of course

Good Luck!

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 05/26/2010 11:36 pm

Aquaphor has lanolin alcohol, which is comedogenic. (will clog your pores)

Sheep derived lanolin alcohol isn't comedogenic.

The following two links are to websites that list comedogenic ingredients. You can research the ingredients in your product(s) and determine if any might be problematic. The second link is to a PDF so if your computer is old or cranky, your computer might freeze. Remember that the further down on the list of ingredients, the less percentage of that ingredient is in the product. So a comedogenic ingredient that is in the last half of an ingredient list may or may not cause you problems. http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm#inglist

http://facerealityskincare.com/img/Pore%20...Skin%20Care.pdf

Petroleum jelly works fine all by itself, too.

Make sure you're using a nice moisturizer for the rest of yourself, too. Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.

MemberMember
(@headtrip_honey)

Posted : 05/27/2010 8:57 am

Aquaphor is unrivaled in alleviating dryness and irritation. I don't think I would have survived my worst acne years without it.

It's great on lips, too! I have a small tube of it in my purse for that purpose.

All that said, I have found that if I use it hardcore (we're talking a THICK layer at night) for a long time (several days in succession), then I do get blocked pores (I blame this on the oil "backing up" while I have my skin covered). So I save the thick layer for when my skin gets out of balance, dryness wise. In every day situations I just put a thin layer on, which doesn't seem to do anything negative to my skin at all.

MemberMember
(@sunshine33)

Posted : 05/28/2010 11:49 am

hey coxy, i think we are roughly on the same days of accutane, (im on day 12 now, u replied to my makeup post) i have been thinking the exact same thing- skin dry, so u mosurise, which then clogs you up and cause more spots. well ive been looking at loads of posts, and alot do say to use aveeno (from boots/tesco) apparently u can use it on ur face, it is non greasy.my derm gave me losts of little sample tubes, and i went and bought a bottle today, ive been trying to decide which cream is best, i think i will go with this one. let me kno if u discover anything better!

MemberMember
(@jenjen77)

Posted : 09/08/2016 10:23 am

On 5/26/2010 at 8:42 PM, mom2teen1996 said:

My son is on 20 mg Accutane on Day 11...anyway we saw dr today and she said she didn't want him using Aquaphor....she said cetaphil moisturizer with spf for face and NeoStrata lip conditioner with spf for lips.

Just her opinion of course

Good Luck!

Did she say she thought the Aquaphor would break him out more?