Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

These bumps have been building up for weeks and weeks. Could this be cysts? There are no heads to them and they hurt a lot. Other acne for me usually doesn't last this long.. What do you think?

It's the one right under my lips and then to the right of that one.

Edited by bek_cogent

These bumps have been building up for weeks and weeks. Could this be cysts? There are no heads to them and they hurt a lot. Other acne for me usually doesn't last this long.. What do you think?

I don't see anything under your lips, just the one on your jawline and small one one chin. Well i guess that is "under lips" haha but thinking you meaning a lot closer. If it is those two they do not look like cysts to me, maybe nodular.

Edited by JayQ

I don't see anything under your lips, just the one on your jawline and small one one chin. Well i guess that is "under lips" haha but thinking you meaning a lot closer. If it is those two they do not look like cysts to me, maybe nodular.

I'm sorry. On my chin under my lip on the right side. haha

Edited by bek_cogent

It does sound like a cyst...I can't really see in the pics but if they are big and painful yep.

DAMN : /

yeah. do they ever come to a head, or just hurt and go back down? And I should not touch it I'm presuming... hard.

If you started to get nodular or cyst my advice is to stop that as soon as you can. I know I recommend this to everyone but I think you to take antibiotics, 500mg twice a day as long as you are clean (two three months). Don't let this thing pass, don't be afraid of antibiotics (if you properly take them). :boohoo:

If you started to get nodular or cyst my advice is to stop that as soon as you can. I know I recommend this to everyone but I think you to take antibiotics, 500mg twice a day as long as you are clean (two three months). Don't let this thing pass, don't be afraid of antibiotics (if you properly take them). :boohoo:

Ohhh shit. Do I have to go to a doctor or something to get that?

Yes. I recommend Tetracycline, 500mg twice a day until you are clean. You need prescription for that.

Perhaps doctor will recommend another thing.

Nodular/cyst left scars so that is why I recommend that. Also you can put some aspirin mask (SA) and take ibuprofen to avoid inflammation. When you are clean, you follow a regimen for those parts of your face that break out.

You can make it! ;)

Nodule it looks at the moment, possibly a cyst.

This question comes up so frequently.

Here’s what to do when you’ve messed with a pimple and it looks horribly swollen, red and painful now.

Keep in mind that the treatment may also prevent an incipient cyst from getting worse.

The treatment may also help prevent Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation (PIH) or ‘red marks’.

Basic recommendations:

Apply ice.

Take ibuprofen
or
naproxen sodium.

Do not mess with the lesion anymore AT all.

Antibiotic cream/ointment and a band aid/plaster for night.

You can repeat these techniques for as many days as you like. Do not give up too early, try the icing and bandaid/ointment for at least a week before assuming it won't work.

Detailed explanation and rationale:

Ice how-to:

Wrap an ice cube in a thin cloth towel or paper towel so the ice doesn't directly touch your skin or just stick it in a plastic baggie. Some recommend freezing a bunch of water-filled little paper Dixie cups in the freezer. The thin paper cups make it convenient to hold and apply ice to the lesions. That’s a great idea from Laura, the esthetician that Willow569 goes to.

Hold the ice to the lesion for one minute or so on, five minutes or so off. Repeat as often as necessary throughout the first 24 hours, but not to the point that your skin turns pale or feels uncomfortable. The ice will reduce the swelling and the pain and the redness. The ice may also limit the development of post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation, PIH, or ‘red marks’.

You could also just glide an ice cube gently over your whole face, not holding it in one spot for too long. This technique will help decrease inflammation over the entire surface of your face. This is also a good technique for use after cleansing and prior to applying your active, medicated topical.

Anti-Inflammatory how-to:

Ibuprofen and naproxen sodium are anti-inflammatories. Inflammation is redness, swelling, pain. One or the other medication will help reduce the inflammation of any type of infection and may also help with pain. Use only as directed on the package, pick one or the other, and don’t use for longer than directed. Of course, don’t use one if you’re allergic to it! Depending on where you live there may be other anti-inflammatories available as well; ask your pharmacist or chemist what you can take as an anti-inflammatory. Over the counter medications for arthritis are generally effective.

If your doctor has ordered an antibiotic due to the inflamed lesion(s), continue to take the antibiotic as ordered. You may still take an anti-inflammatory for pain and swelling. The antibiotic is for the infection (bacteria) and the anti-inflammatory is for the pain, redness, and swelling.

Topical antibiotic cream/ointment and band aid/plaster how-to:

(Neosporin, Polysporin, Bacitracin, etc. I use Polysporin more often.)

Apply a dab of antibiotic cream/ointment to a small band aid (this prevents contamination of the tube provided the bandaid is sterile and you’ve not touched the pad part with your fingers or anything else).

Put the band aid/plaster on the lesion. Leave on overnight. This is the part of the step that helps prevent PIH; the petrolatum jelly in most antibiotic ointments/creams is what provides the soothing relief that irritated, inflamed skin needs. You CAN use plain petrolatum jelly. It is not comedogenic. The bandaid also helps keep you from picking so you can use it during the day if you're going to be at home or not much in public, unless of course your self-esteem is high enough so that you can go in public with bandaids/plasters all over your face.

The antibiotic cream/ointment may help prevent indented scarring.

There you go. Good luck! :D

It's likely that the differin is causing you an initial breakout if you've been using it under three months. Differin is a retinoid; Please read the following post on how topical retinoids work and why patience and perseverance is required when using topical retinoids: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Info-reti...ial-t98395.html

I have been using it for 2 months now so that must be it! Haha okay I read the post, a little over my head but I am trying to grasp the bare bones of it. So after 3 or so months, things should be settling down? Well thank you for the information, I am going to start icing NOW since I have work tonight!!!

Another thing: I tested topical retinoid once and never liked it. You have mild acne so I don't understand why you are on differin. Anyway, I control bacteria and oily skin .. I think you need to control bacteria, so you can use BP 2,5% on those stronghold (chin area athe sides) then you put a moisturizer or your make up.

Edited by Corsair

Another thing: I tested topical retinoid once and never liked it. You have mild acne so I don't understand why you are on differin. Anyway, I control bacteria and oily skin .. I think you need to control bacteria, so you can use BP 2,5% on those stronghold (chin area athe sides) then you put a moisturizer or your make up.

Well the thing is it's only mild right now because I am on a number of different things. In the past it was not mild...

...I have been using it for 2 months now so that must be it! Haha okay I read the post, a little over my head but I am trying to grasp the bare bones of it. So after 3 or so months, things should be settling down? Well thank you for the information, I am going to start icing NOW since I have work tonight!!!

Two months is about right. You're experiencing the initial breakout. The nice thing about a retinoid is it also helps with red marks and improves skin texture and appearance. If one has minor indented scarring, a retinoid can help plump up those scars as (the retinoid post linked above explains) it works on reforming collagen types. Retinoids also help get rid of fine lines and wrinkles.

Believe it or not, the Duac you're using with the retinoid helps prevent even greater 'infection' as both agents in it are antibacterial or bacteriostatic. :) So, your breakout would be worse without the Duac.

Stick to the Differin for at least three months and you'll likely see even greater improvement!

Good luck with the icing; it definitely can help the inflammation (redness or swelling or pain).

So here is a better view. It looks kinda small to some of you I guess but I can feel that it's very deep... : / Just for clarification I wanted to post a better picture. If the shine looks like it has a head it doesn't, just reflection.

...I have been using it for 2 months now so that must be it! Haha okay I read the post, a little over my head but I am trying to grasp the bare bones of it. So after 3 or so months, things should be settling down? Well thank you for the information, I am going to start icing NOW since I have work tonight!!!

Two months is about right. You're experiencing the initial breakout. The nice thing about a retinoid is it also helps with red marks and improves skin texture and appearance. If one has minor indented scarring, a retinoid can help plump up those scars as (the retinoid post linked above explains) it works on reforming collagen types. Retinoids also help get rid of fine lines and wrinkles.

Believe it or not, the Duac you're using with the retinoid helps prevent even greater 'infection' as both agents in it are antibacterial or bacteriostatic. :) So, your breakout would be worse without the Duac.

Stick to the Differin for at least three months and you'll likely see even greater improvement!

Good luck with the icing; it definitely can help the inflammation (redness or swelling or pain).

Hah okay that stinks I thought I was over it, silly me! Awesome. I do have a little bit of pitted scarring in one area so laser and retinoids combined will hopefully fix that! :) Ah, thank god for Duac. I am so glad that the 2nd doctor prescribed it. I don't see how using Differin alone would have made as great strides. Ok I will definitely stick with it! No doubt. Thank you!! :)

It shall improve; this too shall pass. :)

Nodules: As opposed to the lesions mentioned above, nodular acne consists of acne spots which are much larger, can be quite painful, and can sometimes last for months. Nodules are large, hard bumps under the skin's surface. Scarring is common. Unresolved nodules can sometimes leave an impaction behind, which can flare again and again. Absolutely do not attempt to squeeze such a lesion. You may cause severe trauma to the skin and the lesion may last for months longer than it normally would. Dermatologists often have ways of lessening swelling and preventing scarring, such as injecting the lesion with cortisone.

Cysts: An acne cyst can appear similar to a nodule, but is pus-filled, and is described as having a diameter of 5mm or more across. They can be painful. Again, scarring is common with cystic acne. Squeezing an acne cyst may cause a deeper infection and more painful inflammation which will last much longer than if you had left it alone. Dermatologists often have ways of lessening swelling and preventing scarring, such as administering a cortisone shot.

It shall improve; this too shall pass. :)

Nodules: As opposed to the lesions mentioned above, nodular acne consists of acne spots which are much larger, can be quite painful, and can sometimes last for months. Nodules are large, hard bumps under the skin's surface. Scarring is common. Unresolved nodules can sometimes leave an impaction behind, which can flare again and again. Absolutely do not attempt to squeeze such a lesion. You may cause severe trauma to the skin and the lesion may last for months longer than it normally would. Dermatologists often have ways of lessening swelling and preventing scarring, such as injecting the lesion with cortisone.

Cysts: An acne cyst can appear similar to a nodule, but is pus-filled, and is described as having a diameter of 5mm or more across. They can be painful. Again, scarring is common with cystic acne. Squeezing an acne cyst may cause a deeper infection and more painful inflammation which will last much longer than if you had left it alone. Dermatologists often have ways of lessening swelling and preventing scarring, such as administering a cortisone shot.

http://www.acne.org/types-of-acne.html

So I would call that a cyst just because of its size. Do NOT squeeze it.

AHHHHH I think I did a little yesterday. From now on, no touching!! Scary.

Sounds like a cyst to me.

Ugh aren't cysts just the worst? They just hurt so much and you keep on touching it cause it hurts and that makes it hurt more..... Bah.

Take erythromycin or lymacycline. Do not take bactrim or flucloxacillin. These both kill all the good bacteria in your gut and cause sever gastrocolic side effects.