Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
calabi

I See Your True Colours Shining Through..

Hello Fellow Acne Sufferers

I am a long time visitor of this site, a first time poster and a first time user of Clarus. I am very excited to see what the following months can bring.

A Little History About My Acne

I started getting acne when I was about 17 years old. I am now 23. My acne was never really all that bad, more persistant I would say. I started on Proactiv when I was 18 and that seemed to pretty much do the trick and keep my skin in line... for the most part. I would have the occasional breakout or flare that would be very annoying at the time and some were worse then others but nothing to get too upset over. ( I say this now that I am out of those crucial teen years, but back then I probably made a huge deal about it) I was occasionally put on different birth controls or antibiotics but did not see much of a change. Before moving away to go to college in 2008, my doctor suggested seeing a dermatologist to help with my acne and I agreed, hoping to clear up this pesky skin of mine. He put my on Minocin and a topical treatment and the Minocin seemed to work like a saviour. :dance: My skin was pretty much clear,again with a few occasional breakouts but I could handle that. I was in my friends wedding last June and HALLELUJAH, my skin was clear for that which was great.

My Acne Now

A few months ago my acne came back and with a vengeance. I now have cystic acne which I fortunately never had before and there is already some scarring from having such. I made an appointment with my doctor and thankfully we both agreed that Accutane was the way to go, so here I am today.

My Accutane Experience Thus Far :D

My doctor started me off on 40mg of Clarus on May 17, 2010. I started my treatment the same day. I am now on day 9! He said that he would probably need to up my dose the next time I saw him, but we will have to wait and see.

So far I have not noticed much change in my acne but it is only day 9 so I know I have a long way to go. My lips have just started to get dry, but I have not noticed my face getting too dry yet. I went out and bought some Burts Bees Lip Balm today so I am hopng that will help. Any suggestions on great lip balms is very welcomed!

Here are some photos. The last one is from when I had clear skin back in Winter of 2008 and the other two are from today. Yikes! I can not wait for this to go away!

Hope to hear from others! It would be a great support to be able to share stories!

post-129742-1274818613.jpg

post-129742-1274819358_thumb.jpg

post-129742-1274819379_thumb.jpg

post-129742-1274818613.jpg

post-129742-1274819358_thumb.jpg

post-129742-1274819379_thumb.jpg

Edited by calabi

Looks like have another pretty woman joining us ermmm i mean good luck !!

Use aquaphor for the lips , I was on burt bees but stopped cause it stung my lips so bad, felt like bee stings ( no pun intended)

Time_traveler - Thank you so much for the nice comment and the suggestion. I will definitely give Aquaphor a try! :)

onelittleone - Thankyou, Good luck with yours as well. Are you starting a journal?

Time_traveler - Thank you so much for the nice comment and the suggestion. I will definitely give Aquaphor a try! :)

onelittleone - Thankyou, Good luck with yours as well. Are you starting a journal?

i was thinking about starting a journal but im not that good at expressing myself

i was thinking about starting a journal but im not that good at expressing myself

Hey dont need to write a book lol you can just express yourself in a few sentences, no one gonna laugh at you :)

Hey dont need to write a book lol you can just express yourself in a few sentences, no one gonna laugh at you :)

easier said then done my man.but i did write a little something in my blog

Gotta Gt This - Our stories are quite similar! I can not wait to see where we both are in a few months time :D:)

Here Comes The Sun - Thank you so much! I am excited to see how this will work out!

Can't wait to see your progress! I had very similar breakouts around my chin and jaw area but they cleared up great thanks to Accutane. I'm sure yours will too in no time! :)

mercyunbound Thanks! That gives me a lot of hope to know that others who went through the same thing now have clear skin! :D Congratulations on clear skin!

Day 11

Well, in the past week or so I definitely feel like I have drank enough water to fill up a couple of camels humps. This is definitely a good thing though ( aside from many, many bathroom trips ) as I feel a lot more hydrated then usual and I am switching out a lot of bad drinks for water.

I also went online the other day and purchased emu oil! I am so excited to get this and I hope it works. I never knew I could be so excited about getting something that comes from an animal. If anyone reading this has had any experience with emu oil, please post. I would love to hear how it worked for you, even if the experience was a not so great one. I also have started taking Flaxseed,Fish and Borage Oil softgels and Vitamin C & D.

Acnewise , I am looking not so hot. hah! I laugh about it now because If I don't I will cry. I have two new actives on my neck, ouch! Also, I have a new one above my lip but I figure that is from the lipgloss. I keep switching back and forth between two so I don't doubt that is what is causing it. My pores look so HUGE and clogged, it is insane but I have hope that this means it is working.

Side effects so far are pretty minor. My lips are starting to get chapped but I have kept it at bay so bar by constantly applying lip gloss. Also, I feel lethargic most of the time, but I could just be lazy, who knows?

I love this site because when I am feeling down about myself, I look at other peoeple's stories and look at the amazing transformations and it makes me feel hope. Also, everyone on this site is extremely supportive. Can you please all come and move to my city, I need more people like you in my life! :lol:

Edited by calabi

Gotta GT This - Very true. The acne coming out just means the tane is doing it's job, so in a weird way I am thankful, hah!

Day 12

Ok, so I doubt I will keep posting everyday but it is therapeutic for me to do so right now so I will just keep truckin' on. ha! :lol:

One new GIANT cyst right below my eyebrow. Seriously, it looks as if I got knicked above my eye or like a spider attacked me mid-night. Otherwise, not too bad. It appears as if the other pimples on my face are beginning to dry up, hopefully! This could be wishful thinking on my part. How long does the IB last for again? Oh well, as previously stated above, it just means the drug is doing it's job. I just hope if the doctor ups my dose, he does so gradually so I don't keep getting these IB's.

The thing is, we are having family pictures for the church directory done on Monday and although I have not gone to church in a year or so, it would still be nice to be in a family picture since the last one we had done I was about 12, had a short boyish hair cut and an awkward smile, hah. Oh and the best thing ever, I was wearing all DENIM and pretty much the same with everyone in my family. I told my parents I really didn't feel comfortable being in the photo because my skin was so bad but it would be a nice surprise to them if I showed up and was in the picture. Also , one of my friends from highschool is marrying her highschool beau next weekend and I am travelling up to Kitchener to go to the wedding so I am hoping my skin is better for then too.

Side Effect wise I can not complain too much. I do feel more lethargic then usual but I was sick last weekend so it could be from that. My dad gave me a Smirnoff cooler tonight. Usually I can down these things cause I love them (The Original) but I could not even finish one tonight. Most likely because I feel so drained. First drink I have had since being on Clarus and I don't think I will make a habit of drinking too much, although next weekend this could prove to be a challenge, hah. :dance: I just don't want to risk messing with my liver enzymes and being taken off the drug because it feels like my last resort right now, my only hope.

Also, junk food city tonight. I have been trying to be healthier since starting Clarus. Taking vitamins, drinking lots of water,moderately watching what I eat but tonight I thought screw it, I want chips and chocolate. Tummy ache, but SOOO worth it. haha

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

Edited by calabi

Hi! Congrats on getting your hands on these magic pills!! :) Your skin looks a bit like mine after starting my course. The accutane got rid of everything, and now i'm pretty much completely clear! (It took 80-90 days to clear me up, but I also started on a low dose, so my progress was slower that yours should be.) I also am on 40 mg right now, which is really the perfect dose for me (no side effects, just good skin!) after being raised to 40, I noticed really huge improvements in my skin. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that. Also, I am a HUGE fan of emu oil. I used it every night throughout my course on red marks, and I have practically none. It really makes a difference, although you'll need to use a moisturizer over it at night or you may wake up with flaky skin (the oil dries strangely.. no idea why.)

I think everyone's IB lasts differently... like I think mine was the first 2 weeks and then it gradually subsided a little during this 3rd week... Though I don't know if that counts since I'm still technically breaking out. Not nearly as bad--just a handful and they're relatively small compared to the ones I got at the beginning.

missmooshoo007 80 to 90 days sounds promising! I do like the 40mg dose so far because I find the side effects have not been too hectic. I have a feeling my doctor will up my dose anyways though which is ok with me because I do not think I am taking enough for my weight class. Also, I am glad to hear that the emu oil worked so well, I am very excited to try. I have a lot of red marks just from the past few months and they are making me extremely self conscious. Thanks for the tips!

Gotta GT This Yeah, I expect to still break out for a while and have a feeling if the doctor ups my dose, I will again. Still remain hopeful though. Can not wait to see the difference in months! It will be exciting to see how far we have come then.

Day 14

A few minor whiteheads have popped up on my cheeks, but otherwise there are no new actives

( for now ). The giant cyst under my eyebrow does not seem to be going down though. I was going to try putting some clindoxyl gel on it but my skin has slowly been getting drier so I think I will refrain from that and try icing it tonight instead. I am also going to refrain from wearing makeup the next few days and just moisturize as needed. Overall, I am pretty happy with my skin right now. I know the process takes time and I need to stop being so impatient and applaud small achievements. :clap:

Oh, and a question for all you Canadians out there. Burt's Bees is not doing the trick for my dry lips. They have begun to crack a bit. I was going to look into Aquaphor as suggested but I am in Canada and I haven't been able to find it in any stores I have been. What lip balm would you suggest?

Well I'm not from Canada, but I like to use Blistex Silk & Shine. It's got an added SPF 15 in it as well, so it does double duty! By far my favorite lip balm ever; give it a try if you can find it. :)

Hello Fellow Acne Sufferers

I am a long time visitor of this site, a first time poster and a first time user of Clarus. I am very excited to see what the following months can bring.

A Little History About My Acne

I started getting acne when I was about 17 years old. I am now 23. My acne was never really all that bad, more persistant I would say. I started on Proactiv when I was 18 and that seemed to pretty much do the trick and keep my skin in line... for the most part. I would have the occasional breakout or flare that would be very annoying at the time and some were worse then others but nothing to get too upset over. ( I say this now that I am out of those crucial teen years, but back then I probably made a huge deal about it) I was occasionally put on different birth controls or antibiotics but did not see much of a change. Before moving away to go to college in 2008, my doctor suggested seeing a dermatologist to help with my acne and I agreed, hoping to clear up this pesky skin of mine. He put my on Minocin and a topical treatment and the Minocin seemed to work like a saviour. :dance: My skin was pretty much clear,again with a few occasional breakouts but I could handle that. I was in my friends wedding last June and HALLELUJAH, my skin was clear for that which was great.

My Acne Now

A few months ago my acne came back and with a vengeance. I now have cystic acne which I fortunately never had before and there is already some scarring from having such. I made an appointment with my doctor and thankfully we both agreed that Accutane was the way to go, so here I am today.

My Accutane Experience Thus Far :D

My doctor started me off on 40mg of Clarus on May 17, 2010. I started my treatment the same day. I am now on day 9! He said that he would probably need to up my dose the next time I saw him, but we will have to wait and see.

So far I have not noticed much change in my acne but it is only day 9 so I know I have a long way to go. My lips have just started to get dry, but I have not noticed my face getting too dry yet. I went out and bought some Burts Bees Lip Balm today so I am hopng that will help. Any suggestions on great lip balms is very welcomed!

Here are some photos. The last one is from when I had clear skin back in Winter of 2008 and the other two are from today. Yikes! I can not wait for this to go away!

Hope to hear from others! It would be a great support to be able to share stories!

Hey hun, i have replied to ur post on mine (we started same day) just a thought...teatree may really dry out ur skin, and it will start to dry out anyway with the accutane.

carmex lip balm is the best in book for lips!

hope to hear from u soon, accutane buddy!!

Gotta GT This I will definitely be looking in stores for this. Thanks for the suggestion. I like that it has SPF in it because I worry when I am in the sun if my lips will burn. Oh the joys of finding the PERFECT lip balm!

!!sunshine!!!! Yeah, it is hard to find something that works but does not dry out your skin while on Accutane. I really liked the Tea Tree foaming cleanser because it feels so fresh on my face and smells pretty but if it dries out I may need to switch. I am hoping that the emu oil will help for this.

I love that we started the same day so we can compare side effects and such.

Day 18

I am on my third week and almost done two packets of Clarus! Wooo!

Good News

Ok, I am starting with good news first, cause I am trying this whole "positive thinking" way in hopes that I can remain stress free. I bet it lasts 10 minutes, tops. haha

My Emu Oil came in the mail yesterday!! Exciting. :dance: I got some for my face, lip balm and hand and body lotion. I hear a lot of people get very, very dry hands while on Accutane so I am keeping myself prepared. I have not had it long enough to have an overall opinion yet, obviously, but I like the way it makes my skin feel so far. The only thing is I would not wear it before going out because it is very shiny and slimy ( for lack of a better term) but when I am staying in and before bedtime, it is ok. No one sees me, so they can not run away screaming! I like the lip balm so far as well, however I had a couple pimples around my lips waking up this morning. I will have to see how this goes.

Also, my parents are starting to say they can see a difference from the day I started, so any progress is encouraging. :)

Bad News

I have been breaking out along my jawline and it is very annoying and a bit painful to the touch. If I touch them it almost feel like needles pricking the skin? Anyone ever had that? It is weird. I also can feel a cyst forming to the right of my nose, UGGH! I have been trying to ice it in hopes that it does not invade my face, haha. The right side of my face seems to hate me right now, but the leftt is clearing up pretty well. I will have to post a picture soon.

I have my friends wedding coming up this weekend so I hope that it dies down a bit before then. I am so excited to see her get married to her highschool sweetheart and I know it will be a great day. I also love to get dressed up once in a while and just let loose. That being said, I am extremely self conscious about my face right now and I know we will be taking photos and I have been dreading the camera lately. You know what though? It is better to be in the pictures, bad skin and all having a great time with close friends and then to not be in the pictures at all. See, this is where the positive thinking kicks in! haha :angel:

Side Effects

Dry lips like crazy... which brings me to ask this. When you go out for a special occasion, what do you do with your lips? I would like to have a bit of colour on my lips, but I know I will need to have my trusty lip balm right there beside me at all times. Do you put a lip stain on then keep reapplying lip balm or do you just leave your lips be?

My skin has not been too dry, aside from my scalp. I think I may have sunburned it. I went outside for a little bit on the weekend, with sunscreen on of course but did not even think to apply it to where I part my hair. Ooops! Lesson learned.

I have also been feeling pretty lethargic , but nothing too worrysome.

Hope everyone else's journey is going well! :D

Ughhh I hatehatehate acne around the jawline. It's pretty painful! When I broke out around there I found that it was also really itchy some days. I'm sure you'll clear up soon though! The entire Accutane treatment seems to go by pretty quickly once you start seeing results, promise!

I feel for ya, ha ha. My sister got into town today and I'm still obligated to take her out this weekend. Put on a smile and just make the best of things--that's what I'm trying to do. :)

As far as lip color goes, I'd stick to a moisturizing colored balm (Burt's Bees has good ones) or a moisturizing gloss. I fear that a stain will only highlight flakes, cracks, and dryness. I haven't tried them myself, but that's what I think. I haven't put anything colored on my lips yet, but hope to soon!

I'm getting upped to 40 mg next month (I believe). What are you using to keep your lips from being too chapped? That's really my only issue right now. I don't want them to look chapped! I realize that they probably will be chapped the whole time, but anything to minimize would be great.

Good luck with your treatment! So excited we started basically at the same time!