Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First of all, I have to give a hand to all of you who have dealt with acne for years. You really are strong!

A little background info:

I have always had clear, normal skin. Not dry, not oily. My "breakouts" would consist of one pimple that would sprout on my cheek bone every once in a while when really stressed out. I was more worried about making my skin tone look even and avoiding wrinkles. I never wore make up other than eyeliner and mascara and lip gloss and the occasional bronzer.

I turned 30 this past December. Around February, I started to breakout on my cheeks, close to my ears. These pimples were painful, red and deep. I'd get about 2 or 3 per side. One side of my face would break out at a time. Then before it healed completely, the other side would break out. At first, I thought it was a cheap bronzer I bought so I stopped using it. It seemed to get better but before the marks were completely faded, I started to break out again. So I thought maybe it was from using my cell phone (eww!) so I started using only the speaker function or a bluetooth. Looked like it was getting better. Then, BAM! I broke out all across my cheeks and chin. Painful cysts and whiteheads. One would start to heal and I'd already have two more.

I don't know what happened!? I haven't changed my life in any major way. Not more stressful than usual. The only thing I can think of is my diet. I have gained almost 7-10 pounds in the last year and a half but these breakouts just started a few months ago. Others have mentioned that it's my hormones - because I turned 30. But I had only been 30 for two months when I started breaking out. I know that metabolism changes as you age as does the way your body heals and reacts to certain things but I refuse to believe that right when you turn 30, BAM! you're all out of whack just like that!? I don't know..

Regimens I’ve tried:

At first, I started using Burt's Bees Acne Solutions cleanser which I think has salicylic acid 1% once a day and was using a moisturizer from ROC (to help prevent wrinkles, because that was all I was worried about before). That didn’t help very much.

Decided to go somewhat “natural and organicâ€. Gave up the ROC moisturizer and started to tone with Witch Hazel and moisturize with Pure Veggie Glycerin (food grade) and Rose Water (mixed them together myself). Then I added in Egyptian Magic crème to the mix. I used that for a while and thought it was somewhat helping.

Then I decided to use Retin-A 1% (which I got from my cousin who has acne – bad idea!). Now remember, my skin before acne, was pretty normal and I could use just about anything without much irritation – I used to use heavy duty scrubs and used the ROC and an AHA crème with no problems. So I decided to go with this Retin-A. My regimen was PM: Wash with Burt’s Bees, wait 30mins, apply retin-A, AM: Neutrogena’s Dry Touch Sunscreen (SPF 100). I knew of the possible side effects and was ready for them. I applied a very thin film to my dry skin at night. The next day was good. Day two was still good. Day three a little flaky. I stopped using it for 5 days because I decided to go try microdermabrasion. I went to my appointment and all went well. Doctor pointed out my breakouts and asked if I was doing anything for it and I said I had just started using cleanser with SA in it (liar!). He said ok and to let him know if I needed something. I resumed Retin-A the next night. Again, day one ok. Day two, REALLY flaky. I spent all day two and three peeling my face off. I was obsessed. But I thought hey, it’s gotta be working, right? Day four my face stung and my face was really red. Day five my face was on fire. My skin was raw and tight and my face was crazy red and it hurt to move let alone talk and laugh. I quit and felt like a failure… I knew of the side effects. I knew I was supposed to stick through it. And now I’d lost the anti-acne anti-aging benefits. But I really didn’t want to have to go the doc and tell him I used someone else’s prescription and messed up my face so I just gave up on it.

I bought Cetaphyl cleanser (because I read that it was really gentle and I could hardly touch my face with water!) and Eucerin Everyday Protection Face Lotion (because I read somewhere it had been proven to stop the side effects of Retin-A) and went back to Egyptian Magic at night (because it felt like heaven on a burnt face!). Took 3 days to feel back to normal. My new regimen was to wash with Cetaphyl twice a day and moisturize with Glycerin and Eucerin in the AM and with Egyptian Magic in the PM. That’s it. Nothing else for acne. Didn’t know what to use.

So I finally called up the doc. Saw the PA for all of 3 minutes – if that! Asked if I had a problem with acne, I said yes (duh!). Asked if I was on BC I said no (I have an IUD). Asked if I had just stopped BC, I said no. Said she’d give me an antibiotic and retin-A and was out the door. She gave me Clindamycin Phosphate and Retin-A .025%. Apply Clind. twice a day after cleansing and retin a everynight. I still wash with Cetaphyl twice a day and moisturize with Glycerin and Eucerin in the AM. Been doing that for all of two weeks. No adverse side effects from either the antibiotic or the retin A (probably because of the low dose). At this point I can slather on the Retin-A and I don’t see much, if any, improvement or side effects. I know most treatments take 30 days to 6 months to work but like I said before, I’m obsessed! So the other night I came across Acne.org and thought I have to give this a try! Soo… here I am!

Old Regimen:

AM

Wash with Cetaphyl

Apply topical Clindamycin Phosphate – let dry

Massage Pure Veggie Glycerin into skin

Moisturize with Eucerin Everyday Protection SPF 15

PM

Wash with Cetaphyl

Apply topical Clindamycin Phosphate – let dry

Apply Retin-A .025%

New Regimen:

AM

Wash with Cetaphyl – let dry

Apply Dan’s BP – let dry

PM

Wash with Cetaphyl

Apply Dan’s BP – let dry

It’s a little scary to drop what the doc gave me completely even though I haven’t used it very long. At first I thought of only using Dan’s BP in the AM and Retin-A at night but Dan says to use the program “precisely†and it’ll work so I’m crossing my fingers and taking a chance. I’m thinking of picking up jojoba oil. I like the glycerin (and have read that it’s great for the skin) but it’s a little tacky and since this program is all about being ultra gentle, I’m afraid that massaging it into the skin will cause irritation.

On a side note, my younger brother (21) had severe acne all through his teens and ultimately went on a couple rounds of Accutane. He’s now completely cleared but remembers how bad he felt and how low his self-esteem was. He now gets an occasional pimple or two here and there and it’s amazing to me that he doesn’t pick at them. I can’t help it! He says it’s years of applied patience. My hats off to him and all you others who have dealt with acne for years! I’ve only been dealing with light moderate acne for 4 months and I feel like I’m at my wits end. I just want to tear my face off! I want it to go away! I want my old skin back – the one I took for granted. I want to feel/look like my old (young!) self again. I want to stop wearing makeup! :(

If you read this long – THANKS! If not, oh well, I wouldn’t have either, haha! j/k :)

Day 1:

I got the BP in the mail yesterday so I used it for the first time last night. I used about an inch's length. Went on smoothly and was enough to cover my whole face. Easy peasy! The glycerin is a bit tacky so it tugs at my face a bit when applying it. Hope it doesn't irritate! My face was a bit itchy as I was trying to sleep...

Day 2:

I washed, treated, and moisturized as directed. Yesterday my face was a tiny bit itchy, more so towards the night time. I decided to mix 3-4 drops of glycerin with one pump of moisturizer rather than use them separate as I usually do. It glided much easier than when using the glycerin on its own. I had a little bit of flaky skin around my chin area – I’m thinking maybe I used too much BP there so I used only a bit there at night and this morning. Once the moisturizer had absorbed, I used a little Egyptian Magic on the chin area in hopes of getting rid of the flakes!

This morning, I woke up to more flaky skin. It’s mostly on the chin area and on the lower half of my left cheek. Makes me want to scrub, scrub, scrub until it’s all gone but I know that will only make things worse. It looks horrible with makeup over it even though I used Egyptian Magic this morning too. I’m kicking myself for not buying Dan’s jojoba oil along with the BP. Oh well, guess I’ll stop by the store on my way home and pick some up. I hope it helps. At least my face isn’t red… (yet)

On the upside, I had a couple of cysts that had been lingering for a while that are completely flat today! They are still red and flaky but they don’t hurt and are no longer raised so once the flakiness goes away, it’ll be easier to cover those suckers up. My chin appears to be clearing up too. Could it be that the BP is working this fast?

It is strange that this happen to you at that age. I can only think of your immune system, suddenly cannot deal with acnes bacteria. I guess it is not the climate, or another thing. Hormone related .. strange at your age unless you started a relationship or something.

Hope the regimen works. May the force be with you and be careful with the Solar protection.

Note: research!

Corsair: Strange indeed. 30 years with no acne and then BAM! There it is. I've been married for 10 years so that's not it. If The Regimen doesn't work, I'm going to go back to the doc and ask for blood tests to see what's going on.

On another note: I caved. My skin was/is peeling all over my cheeks, chin and jawline - crazy peeling! I didn't even notice it until I looked in my rearview mirror on my way back to the office from getting lunch! I pulled over and began "manually exfoliating" the skin. I know I'm not supposed to touch my face, much less rub it with my bare hands but I didn't know what else to do! I don't have any moisturizer with me ( :doh: ) so I used a little Neutrogena Sunblock SPF100 to help slick things up a little but that didn't really help. So I *had* to rub. And my face stung afterwards. *sigh* I hope I didn't cause too much damage but I just couldn't walk around the office like that. I still have scaly skin on my cheeks but I left those alone since they didn't look as bad as the jawline. One part of me tells me to quit BP. But the other tells me this is normal and I must keep going. What to do.....

I think your immune system might be the problem. For instance, when people suffer from stress, your immune system low it functioning and you are available for illnesses.

You use BP 2,5% so that should not dry much your skin. But for first users, it is common. Also, if you put too much, the peeling is just dry BP, not absorbed. I use Avene Clean-AC Hydratant (moisturizer) which contain jojoba seed oil and it works really well on me.

My last suggestions is to take echinacea or propolis, to improve your immune system. I am also testing that and seems to be working (it does not eliminate acne, just improve that your body can deal with bacteria)

Same thing happen to me! I been clear all my life... well of course I would break out at "the time of the month" It was like one or two (I would freak about it though because I am a perfectionist) Then this March I broke out like crazy! it's really scary! My family and friends are in shock and so am I! I'm 22 though. I really don't think the should be happening to me though! I think it was the chemical peel I had in Jan & March...Maybe I had a bad reaction? you should look at my pictures it was pretty bad! I'm on antibiotics though and it's clearing up...plus I have atralin gel it's like retin a but much more gentle and a sulfer face wash...took 3 weeks to see improvement. I might go on accutane to get rid of it for good...not sure yet though.

Same thing happen to me! I been clear all my life... well of course I would break out at "the time of the month" It was like one or two (I would freak about it though because I am a perfectionist) Then this March I broke out like crazy! it's really scary! My family and friends are in shock and so am I! I'm 22 though. I really don't think the should be happening to me though! I think it was the chemical peel I had in Jan & March...Maybe I had a bad reaction? you should look at my pictures it was pretty bad! I'm on antibiotics though and it's clearing up...plus I have atralin gel it's like retin a but much more gentle and a sulfer face wash...took 3 weeks to see improvement. I might go on accutane to get rid of it for good...not sure yet though.

^^ You are so pretty! I just looked at your gallery, because I'm kind of going through the same-ish thing. I'm also 22.

Day 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9!

Ok, so I haven't had time to check in but here I am!

If you remember, Day 2 was horrible as far as flakes go! I had to pull over during my lunch break and "manually exfoliate" because I just couldn't walk around like that. I looked like my face was falling off a layer at time! I was so rough with my skin, I was so worried about irritation and waking up to a red, raw face the next day.

Day 3 - no irritation thank gawd! No red face and no flakes! Not many anyway. Whatever flakes I had left were easily taken care of once I put my moisturizer on. Went on with my day without a hitch. The two cyst-like pimples I had on each side of my face, near my ears, are no longer painful, are peeling, and are almost completely flat. YAY!

Day 4-6 - the texture of my face is yucky. It's all bumpy. But I no longer have any "active" or new acne! The pimples I did have have flattened out mostly so I no longer consider them active. I'm still all peely but now it's just near my hairline. I just make sure to rub extra moisturizer in that area.

Day 7 - sometime in the middle of the day I felt a bump pop up on my chin. It was tiny but it was there. By night time it was a whitehead but it was very superficial and easy to pop. Once popped, it was flat immediately - no swelling at all. I rubbed a little extra BP on it. By morning, it was gone!

Day 8 - nothing to report. Bump that I popped last night has faded to faint mark. Can barely see it. Easy to cover with makeup. Still no active acne!

Day 9 (today) - HOLY CRAP! I forgot my makeup this morning!!!!! I am sitting at work with no makeup and oh soooooo self conscious :( . Luckily I had some eye makeup (shadow, liner, mascara and curler) at work so I can at least play up my eyes and try to draw attention away from the rest of my face. I'm thinking of heading off to walmart during my break and buying some Almay SmartShade to get at least some coverage! My cheeks are red and all my red marks are visible! At least I don't have any active acne but still!! I just want the comfort of my makeup :( Geez, just 5 months ago, I didn't even OWN any makeup and now I can't live without it. I can't wait for all of these marks to fade away.

-----

On another note: The BP is working GLORIOUSLY! I can't wait to add AHA to this regimen so the marks can start fading. I want them GONE. Patience grasshopper, patience....

Glad to hear that the BP is working so well for you! I'd like to say that your acne all the sudden at thirty is due to "something" within your control. But after my 12 years of dealing with it, and all of my research, I've found that it's common for people of all ages to develop it no matter what age in life. Especially women :( Don't worry though you've made a good decision and will nip it in the butt with the dkr. Stay strong. :)

Corsair: I think my immune sys could be a problem too. I just wish the doctor had done some testing or something. I guess I should have gone in there prepared to request testing but I didn't really know what to expect when seeing the doc about this. I just assumed she'd be much more attentive before prescribing stuff since I'd never had this problem before but whatever. I'm trying to clean up my diet. I've been trying to think about what has changed in my life and my diet is one thing. I used to eat really clean and healthy but over the last year and a half that has all gone to the crapper (due to new job). So maybe this is my body's way of telling me "WTF!" haha! I've never been much of a "pill popper" so I've never been consistent with taking vitamins but maybe now's the time to be. I'm going to go get a multi and some fish oil and see how that works. Thanks for the advice!!

Snowangel: Doesn't it suck!? I looked at your pics and at my worse, I looked pretty similar to your right cheek in your April pic. My acne didn't spread though. It was pretty localized to my cheeks and chin. Now that I think of it... I had a facial in January - my first. And I didn't have any acne then. Maybe I had a reaction to that??? But I didn't start breaking out until a weeks after that and again, it wasn't my whole face, just cheeks and chin so who knows. I then had microdermabrasion at the end of Feb but by then I was already broken out. Definitely wasn't a good idea at the time. My spa girl wants me to go in for another facial - says that if I have one once a month I won't break out but I'm scared to let anyone touch my face again and make things worse!! So no thanks!

Edited by seriously?