Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

alright so today i had my derm appointment, the one where i previously said that i wanted to get accutane during. ill give you a recap of the past week and a half.

So since last Thursday, which is 12 days ago, i havent done anything to my face. i havent washed it, or put any BP on it. i was doing this to break myself out, which i wanted to do so i could have bad enough acne to get prescribed accutane. I expected my face to explode with a huge breakout, which it appeared would happen after the first 2 days or so. However, the opposite happened. I started to clear up a bit, to the point where i thought i had actually grown out of acne.

My face continued to clear up over the next 5 or 6 days, and i was the happiest ive been in a long time, because i thought i might finally be done with acne. I thought that maybe the only reason i was breaking out before was because i had just been irritating my face by washing it and putting creams and gels on it. My face continued to get more oily though, which i was fine with as long as i didnt have pimples all over my face.

At its best point my face still wasnt completely clear, sitll had some pimples. it was a hell of a lot better than before i stopped doing anything to it though. i actually broke out a little bit before i went to the derm, but not nearly bad enough to get prescribed accutane. so i ended up not even asking her about it. she prescribed me duac for the morning, retin-a for night, and minocycline, an antibiotic, two times a day. i hope this stuff helps get rid of my acne without making my face too irritated. and maybe if this doesnt work i can get accutane in 2 months or so.

has anyone ever tried these two together? im hopeful but at the same time worried that it will either not work or be too irritating. should i alternate them or use them both every day?

Edited by cubsfreak9988

alright so today i had my derm appointment, the one where i previously said that i wanted to get accutane during. ill give you a recap of the past week and a half.

So since last Thursday, which is 12 days ago, i havent done anything to my face. i havent washed it, or put any BP on it. i was doing this to break myself out, which i wanted to do so i could have bad enough acne to get prescribed accutane. I expected my face to explode with a huge breakout, which it appeared would happen after the first 2 days or so. However, the opposite happened. I started to clear up a bit, to the point where i thought i had actually grown out of acne.

My face continued to clear up over the next 5 or 6 days, and i was the happiest ive been in a long time, because i thought i might finally be done with acne. I thought that maybe the only reason i was breaking out before was because i had just been irritating my face by washing it and putting creams and gels on it. My face continued to get more oily though, which i was fine with as long as i didnt have pimples all over my face.

At its best point my face still wasnt completely clear, sitll had some pimples. it was a hell of a lot better than before i stopped doing anything to it though. i actually broke out a little bit before i went to the derm, but not nearly bad enough to get prescribed accutane. so i ended up not even asking her about it. she prescribed me duac for the morning, retin-a for night, and minocycline two times a day. i hope this stuff helps get rid of my acne without making my face too irritated. and maybe if this doesnt work i can get accutane in 2 months or so.

has anyone ever tried these two together? im hopeful but at the same time worried that it will either not work or be too irritating.

I use Duac in the morning and Differin which is a little less harsh I think, it works for me. My acne has definitely improved. I don't even know what the other thing you are taking is. But I hope it works for you!!

thank you :D. but the minocycline is an antibiotic haha. do you use the differin and duac every day? im worried that if i use retin-a and duac itll be too harsh on my skin

At its best point my face still wasnt completely clear, sitll had some pimples. it was a hell of a lot better than before i stopped doing anything to it though. i actually broke out a little bit before i went to the derm, but not nearly bad enough to get prescribed accutane. so i ended up not even asking her about it. she prescribed me duac for the morning, retin-a for night, and minocycline, an antibiotic, two times a day. i hope this stuff helps get rid of my acne without making my face too irritated. and maybe if this doesnt work i can get accutane in 2 months or so.

has anyone ever tried these two together? im hopeful but at the same time worried that it will either not work or be too irritating. should i alternate them or use them both every day?

My son has been using duac daily both in the morning and night. He also uses Tazorac at night. Neither has dried up his skin, in fact he is very oily all the time. If you are concerned about drying, you can start each by doing it every other day....since everyone is so different. My son took minocycline and was allergic after the 2nd week. That is a great antibiotic if it works for you but remember you wont notice it working for several weeks.

Good luck! I think this sounds like a great plan:)

thank you :D. but the minocycline is an antibiotic haha. do you use the differin and duac every day? im worried that if i use retin-a and duac itll be too harsh on my skin

Yes I use them every day. I believe Retin-A is harsher than Differin. But my skin didn't really take it that badly. You just have realllllllly good moisturizers and use them diligently. You should be fine :)

thanks for the support guys. mom2teen, yea your son sounds like he has the same skin type as me. i have pretty oily skin, and ive used BP for the past 3 years, so im not worried about the drying as much as the redness it can cause my face. does your son have sensitive skin?

thanks for the support guys. mom2teen, yea your son sounds like he has the same skin type as me. i have pretty oily skin, and ive used BP for the past 3 years, so im not worried about the drying as much as the redness it can cause my face. does your son have sensitive skin?

My son always looked red and oily:( he is actually now on Accutane...since the cystic pimples were so painful and not responding to any antibiotics...

His skin is not sensitive at all..he never experienced any burning or stinging that others say he has used Ziana, duac, Tazorac, Aczone, and Triaz foaming pads...and no bad reactions to any of them...wish I could say the same about Accutane:(

hows your son doing on accutane?

Oh thanks for asking...so far on day 10 he had the "initial breakout" which everyone talks about...he went to school fine and 6 hours later came home to 7 large and some puss filled pimples:(...His lips are a little dry but not bad...His hair which is usually very oily has looked amazing the last 2 days and his skin which is always oily has dried up but not peeling(yet!) We went to the dermatologist today and she was very suprised that he has broke out this much and dried up this much..She has him on a low dose for his weight 20mg and he weighs 120, she said she didn't think she would see much until 30 days! We are crossing our fingers that it will stay like this since he has his 8th grade dance and graduation in 2 weeks.

Good luck to you! Some day this will be a faded memory to us all:)

im sure itll work great for him. i have two friends that are on it right now, and it has cleared them both up completely with minimal side effects. i wanted to go on it, but it is such a powerful drug that it should be saved as a last resort. hopefully it works out for your son. itll get worse before it gets better, so tell him to be patient, and hopefully he wont have to worry about acne ever again

im sure itll work great for him. i have two friends that are on it right now, and it has cleared them both up completely with minimal side effects. i wanted to go on it, but it is such a powerful drug that it should be saved as a last resort. hopefully it works out for your son. itll get worse before it gets better, so tell him to be patient, and hopefully he wont have to worry about acne ever again