Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
.Free.Spirit.

What puts you into action and get you doing what you need to get done?

Not necessarily talking motivation.

I feel burnt out... I really need a push. Perhaps a kick in the backside or a guy with a mask coming at me with a chainsaw >_>. Just anything to get me going. Something different cus obviously I haven't found something that works that I can stick to. Just passing through time barely getting anything done, if anything at all at the moment....

I'm happy right now, but I REALLY need to get work done. I don't want that cycle of not getting work done and stressing about it, still not getting work done, and getting stressed some more to come back. I hopped out of it temporarily, a little escape... it's gonna suck me in again if I don't do anything, and I really want to stay out of it, at least for a while. I want to be freeeeeee.

I just really need a different approach to getting started and getting work done, cus I don't know right now, I just CAN'T DO IT GOD DAMMIT :wall::wacko:

So, how do you guys get around to getting the work you need to do done?

I asked this on yahoo answers too and this is the best answer that I got

"Well this wont really be an option for you, but I grow a beard.

When I've got to do something and I'm not moving on it, I grow a beard because I hate them. It's itchy and scratchy, and whenever I see my reflection it's a constant reminder that I need to do whatever I've been putting off.

As soon as I've gotten it done, the beard goes bye-bye until the next time I need a reason."

Might help you guys out there with the same issue but I really can't grow a beard >_>. I refuse and protest too >_>! :snooty:

What kind of work exactly?

You could try, having a reward after you've completed what you needed to. Treat yourself afterward so you have something to look forward to.

Like I've said before, self motivation is the best motivation. Whenever I need to do stuff, I think about what happens if I don't do it.

For example, I needed to study for the SAT, I didn't want to, so I thought about what would happen if I didn't. Which would be not getting the score I needed to get the scholarship I needed to be able to go to college, no college meant I would spend the rest of my thanking people for coming to publix and asking them to come back soon (not a bad job, but not what I want to do for the rest of my life). That was enough for me to get to my books.

Every choice you make right now affects your life in the future somehow, some affect you in 15 minutes some really start to affect you in 15 years. In 15 years do you really want to say you could have tried just a little bit harder or studied a little bit more and you would have been successful. Or do you want to be successful because you tried harder and you studied more.

I have a chainsaw in the little closet in my backyard :ninja:

What kind of work exactly?

You could try, having a reward after you've completed what you needed to. Treat yourself afterward so you have something to look forward to.

Schoolwork. I'm doing online homeschooling, I'm all by myself, and it's all free paced. Recipe for disaster much? I started last year, had to transfer cus of sleep and depression issues.... I have no problem with my grades. When I get work done, I get 90-100%, even on my exams, but I just can't get around to it these days. Like it is not in my head anymore. I get stressed out over it, but the part of getting work done is just ... gone.... :/ Well, if this keeps up, it WILL be a PROBLEM with my grade. :'(

I've never done homeschooling before that. I'm in my last year of high school too. Well, in grade 9 we had to do it at school, I took physical science and western civilization with Northstar Academy(an online homeschooling program) cus where we lived, the government basically got pissed off at foreigners and stopped giving visas out. At least to the teachers we needed, mostly from America since it was an American international school. Thing is, it was still at school. I'm all by myself now....

I really need specific details, like a process I can follow :/.... Growing a beard would've probably worked for me... IF I was a guy lol

Like I've said before, self motivation is the best motivation. Whenever I need to do stuff, I think about what happens if I don't do it.

For example, I needed to study for the SAT, I didn't want to, so I thought about what would happen if I didn't. Which would be not getting the score I needed to get the scholarship I needed to be able to go to college, no college meant I would spend the rest of my thanking people for coming to publix and asking them to come back soon (not a bad job, but not what I want to do for the rest of my life). That was enough for me to get to my books.

Every choice you make right now affects your life in the future somehow, some affect you in 15 minutes some really start to affect you in 15 years. In 15 years do you really want to say you could have tried just a little bit harder or studied a little bit more and you would have been successful. Or do you want to be successful because you tried harder and you studied more.

I have a chainsaw in the little closet in my backyard :ninja:

Lol awesome. I wasn't being serious though... sorry to spoil it for you and your chainsaw =p

This thought is helping me, but it's not putting me into action =(. Bah I need to get some will power. I feel that it's building up but I just haven't come to a point where I'm getting the work done.

You know what? Scratch that this is going to be my last post for the next 5 hours and I'm going to stop chatting w my online bestie and just go offline.

I just think of a fairy-tale-fantasy future where I will be clear and have a lover and kids and my life is perfect. And then I go I need to do _______ now if i want ____________ later.

I just browsed the thread so I hope I read the main point, but you're finding it hard to make yourself do your internet schooling? I don't have much advice but I had the same problem. I did internet schooling a total of 3 different times and I know how hard it is to keep yourself motivated. What kept me motivated was knowing that the faster I do the work, the faster I get graduated and can be done until I choose to go to college. I ended up finishing 2 years of high school in 1 year and graduating early. Just try to keep a decent pace ^^

I just think of a fairy-tale-fantasy future where I will be clear and have a lover and kids and my life is perfect. And then I go I need to do _______ now if i want ____________ later.

Thanks loads that does help :D

I just browsed the thread so I hope I read the main point, but you're finding it hard to make yourself do your internet schooling? I don't have much advice but I had the same problem. I did internet schooling a total of 3 different times and I know how hard it is to keep yourself motivated. What kept me motivated was knowing that the faster I do the work, the faster I get graduated and can be done until I choose to go to college. I ended up finishing 2 years of high school in 1 year and graduating early. Just try to keep a decent pace ^^

Yeah exactly that. That's SOOO awesome, well done on that (:! I woulda been finished by now if it weren't for a transcript problem, which isn't even my fault cus all my grades are fine :'(. They wouldn't accept my first half of grade 10 cus I "didn't finish the semester" .... It was an international school (that means they should know that students transfer in and out all the time, at least between semesters is normal), but the semester only ended by late January... we moved during winter break. Meh. I also basically took half a year off last year cus I came to the point where I couldn't handle it anymore. My life \:

Hi, Holding.On! Have you tried doing your work at a local library? I find that working at the library rather than at home (where there are plenty of distractions) provides me with the structured environment that I sometimes need to start working. Make sure that the area is quiet though so that you don't get distracted. Hope that helps.

Ah I recall feeling exactly like this a few years ago, in fact I know where you're coming from

I wish I could have done home schooling, instead I was forced to endure torture and humilation at the hands of some poor downtrodden souls( I later found out this fact) I don't really blame them for what they did, it all stems from low self esteem and more so lack of dicipline!

Anyways getting off track here, What I wanted to say is that most of what the users have said here is great advice!

I feel more motivated when I am placed into an awkward situation I cannot escape from I.e no place to run and hide. :cry: in other words I am made to confront it head on rather than sit back and do squat about it.

Like someone mentioned the Library is a fantastic place to study because you're basically forced to sit down and shuttup thus getting on with your work and succeeding in the long run!

:lol:

And Trust me I know you've probably heard it all before and (like me) your mom has moaned til she was blue in the face about it, but Postive thinking is an essential key element to getting anything done the proper way. why are Mothers always right? :eh:

:think: maybe that means..Oh no dear god I hope not

:doubt:

Libraries don't exist here. :'( Most of my distractions are on the net, and about everything I do is on the net. I didn't get anything done today either.... Wow I don't feel so good...

If you like, we can suspend you for a week or whatever from this site. :P But that wouldn't help you with your time-wasting on surfing the web.

What helped me: set a timer for 15 min-half an hour, concentrate STRICTLY on work during that time. Then when done, set the timer for 15 min-half an hour for relaxing and whatever. Then again work, then relax, then work. It's ok to extend the work time if you find yourself in a good place, working and enjoying it, but it is NOT allowed to extend the relaxation time for any reason. You may go pee, etc on your relaxing time. :P

I'm allowing this to stay on emo as you don't yet have Lounge access, and many people with acne do end up with motivational problems and likely some element of depression.

Ok first you have to take responsibility for your own actions, your own inspiration and your own determination. No one can set this for you. it is all up to you.

No one cares if you fail or succeed. Family, friends, teachers, peers all this may be positive pressure but at the end of the road it will matter not how they think and feel it will matter how you think and feel.

If you really need to get work done you will do it, stop requiring encouragement and endorsement and do what you need to for yourself.

Sure reach out to others for support and help this is needed, but really you must decide within yourself if you ever want to achieve anything you set your mind to. accept help along the way if you want it. No one owes you a reason or purpose whether you think it is unselfish or not.

The worst thing you can do is force yourself to do something because you are afraid of how your future will turn out if you do not.

What you must learn is you will do/complete/finish something because it will lead to a future that you desire, opposed to doing something to avoid a future you do not desire.

Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can.

Thank you so much everyone. I disappeared for a while, hoping that spending less time on the comp, I'd get more work done... but still not gotten work done :'(. This week has been hectic though, with driving lessons, shopping and preparing for prom, then my friend's prom and graduation. Hopefully I will get at least something done next week. Your advices have been really good, I'll keep them in mind:) and heart <3 thanks for sharing. I truly truly appreciate it :wub:

On my own just plunging into this subject, I arrived at some thoughts too:

There's no use in feeling left out or wishing you were someone else cus at the end of the day, your life is gonna be pretty much the same if you don't do anything about it, and you are who you are, it's quite unrealistic to change that, especially the way you look. Just be happy and appreciate what you do have, and try to combine your strengths and weaknesses to your advantage, to further your life.

I found this awesome quote during the time I was away: "The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up." By Paul Valery. Kind of opened my eyes. Keeping that close to me now.

Most of all though, I think I should just suck it up and deal cus shit always happens. So the sooner I get a grip on certain things the better I can deal with the unexpected future.

i know how u feel man, im depressed cos of my skin and it makes me so hard to get my studying going for exams. i have like 0 motivation atm, i just sit around all day doing nothing, listening to my beautiful music and wondering about stuff.

I hope a night session of xbox will make me realise what a bum i am so ill get started tomoro morning :)

Edited by MikeyMCG

i know how u feel man, im depressed cos of my skin and it makes me so hard to get my studying going for exams. i have like 0 motivation atm, i just sit around all day doing nothing, listening to my beautiful music and wondering about stuff.

I hope a night session of xbox will make me realise what a bum i am so ill get started tomoro morning :)

I know what you mean. I'm in the middle of studying for exams too. >__< Try to get motivated by thinking of the big, sprawling holidays that come after the exams, waiting to be enjoyed. All you have to do is get through those pesky exams first. Good luck.

Thank you so much everyone. I disappeared for a while, hoping that spending less time on the comp, I'd get more work done... but still not gotten work done :'(. This week has been hectic though, with driving lessons, shopping and preparing for prom, then my friend's prom and graduation. Hopefully I will get at least something done next week. Your advices have been really good, I'll keep them in mind:) and heart <3 thanks for sharing. I truly truly appreciate it :wub:

There's no use in feeling left out or wishing you were someone else cus at the end of the day, your life is gonna be pretty much the same if you don't do anything about it, and you are who you are, it's quite unrealistic to change that, especially the way you look. Just be happy and appreciate what you do have, and try to combine your strengths and weaknesses to your advantage, to further your life.

I found this awesome quote during the time I was away: "The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up." By Paul Valery. Kind of opened my eyes. Keeping that close to me now.

Most of all though, I think I should just suck it up and deal cus shit always happens. So the sooner I get a grip on certain things the better I can deal with the unexpected future.

I think that your mini break was well spent. At least you used it to get your priorities sorted. It should be smoother sailing from there. =)

It's not really my skin, but that definitely contributes one way or another. I've been breaking out so badly the past week, like 15 spots coming up in a day on my back and face, and then a few here and there adding up the next few days. Bah. I consider it one of my smaller problems though. It's just a chain of shit, unexpected events hitting me hard right now and I don't know how to get up.

Yeah that helps me sometimes, just play all day and feeling disgusted at myself the next. Not helping me atm though.

I think that your mini break was well spent. At least you used it to get your priorities sorted. It should be smoother sailing from there. =)

I don't know... I hope so.... I really am on the pessimistic side of it all right now, and I have reasons just coming up today that contributes. Trying to deal with it though... trying, trying....

Good luck with your exams =)