Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've decided to stop the use of RetinA Micro, at least for now. It's pretty harsh on my skin, causing redness, flakiness, dryness, and an orange-ish color to appear.

So, my dilemma: How will I exfoliate and rid of all this dead, flaky skin now?

Well, I own two different exfoliating products, and of course I can always make my own organic honey & sugar scrub, but I'm not so sure it's a good idea to use a manual exfoliant on already irritated skin. The products I have are:

• Clear Choice Lumi Enzyme Masque (which I'm ASSUMING is a mild chemical/enzyme exfoliant...I googled it, but came up with nothing...:doh: )

OR

• Biolements Measured Micrograins (mild manual exfoliant)

Anyway, can anyone recommend a gentle, chemical exfoliant?

p.s. I just put in an order for The Acne.org Regimen today. So it should be arriving within a week! :clap: In the meantime, I will use:

Clean & Clear Oil-Free Foaming Cleanser

Acanya Gel (2.5% BP)

& Olay Complete UV Protection + a few drops of Jojoba Oil

Advice? Suggestions? Gracias!

Edited by kristen2010

No exfoliating until you've adapted to the full amount of BP for at least a month.

Biggest Mistakes:

Biggest mistakes people make on the Regimen

You can read the bulleted list below, or for a more personalized version of advice, take the Quick Regimen Advice quiz.

Starting too fast and quitting too early: Post after post on the message boards and in my email inbox show people complaining that their skin is too dry, too red and too flaky as they start the Regimen. This uncomfortable reaction is sometimes unavoidable. However, this redness and dryness should subside after a few weeks. Start slowly, as shown here and you can limit these side effects. Even when starting slowly, you may still experience discomfort for the first few weeks. This is not a reason to quit. If you see severe crusting or swelling you may be allergic and you should stop, but initial redness, dryness and blotchiness are to be expected.

Not using enough benzoyl peroxide: While it is vital that you start with a small amount of benzoyl peroxide, after a period of a few weeks, it is equally important that you ramp up to the full dosage. When in doubt, use more BP at this point. This is absolutely critical to the success of the Regimen.

Not being gentle enough: When you apply the BP it should take several minutes. This requires patience. Make sure to go slowly and let the BP glide over your skin. Try to be patient and let it absorb on its own without forcing it.

Not using the right products for the job: The Regimen does not work with 10% BP, moisturizers or sunscreens that contain comedogenic oils, exfoliating cleansers that can irritate, or irritating shavers. For best results use the recommended products.

Adding in other products or steps: It is important that you wait until you are completely clear before adding in other products or steps to the Regimen. After you are completely clear, it is safe to add in one variable at a time and see how your skin will react.

Removing Regimen steps: The Regimen works as outlined, so it is important that you not skip any of the steps. Cleanse, apply BP and moisturize twice daily, every day.

The main point I am trying to get across is that the Regimen will work best when followed closely. I have personally coached a lot of people through the Regimen and have noticed that when followed precisely, the Regimen works for just about everybody. But even when people think they are following the Regimen, they often are not. It is worth your while to print out the Regimen checklist and take it into the bathroom with you. It is also a good idea to watch the videos several times before embarking on the Regimen. This will save you a lot of time down the road. Although the temptation to develop your own regimen from the get go is strong, try to trust the Regimen until you are completely clear. Then you can change one variable at a time to your own specifications and see what happens.

Hey, good to hear you're throwing out the Retin-A. That stuff thins out your skin anyway, and it causes you to easily scar. Not to mention you have to be extra careful about the sun and anything else you put on your face.

You could use Walgreens Alpha Hydroxy Lotion 8% for exfoliation, but I'm not too sure if that would be okay to use with Dan's BP. http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showrev...sp?ItemID=23614

The best thing about it is that it seems to work wonderfully, and it's cheap!

I would say St. Ives Apricot Scrub would be good and simple to use as a gentle exfoliator, but you can't use that every day. It's suggested that you use it x3 a week. Are you looking for one you can use every day?

Neutragena, Clean & Clear, department store brands have cleansers with gentle beads in them that you can use every day to exfoliate.

Hey, good to hear you're throwing out the Retin-A. That stuff thins out your skin anyway, and it causes you to easily scar. Not to mention you have to be extra careful about the sun and anything else you put on your face.

You could use Walgreens Alpha Hydroxy Lotion 8% for exfoliation, but I'm not too sure if that would be okay to use with Dan's BP. http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showrev...sp?ItemID=23614

The best thing about it is that it seems to work wonderfully, and it's cheap!

I would say St. Ives Apricot Scrub would be good and simple to use as a gentle exfoliator, but you can't use that every day. It's suggested that you use it x3 a week. Are you looking for one you can use every day?

Neutragena, Clean & Clear, department store brands have cleansers with gentle beads in them that you can use every day to exfoliate.

No ma'am, I'm only looking to exfoliate 2-3 a week. Thanks for the suggestions.

Biggest Mistakes:

Biggest mistakes people make on the Regimen

You can read the bulleted list below, or for a more personalized version of advice, take the Quick Regimen Advice quiz.

Starting too fast and quitting too early: Post after post on the message boards and in my email inbox show people complaining that their skin is too dry, too red and too flaky as they start the Regimen. This uncomfortable reaction is sometimes unavoidable. However, this redness and dryness should subside after a few weeks. Start slowly, as shown here and you can limit these side effects. Even when starting slowly, you may still experience discomfort for the first few weeks. This is not a reason to quit. If you see severe crusting or swelling you may be allergic and you should stop, but initial redness, dryness and blotchiness are to be expected.

Not using enough benzoyl peroxide: While it is vital that you start with a small amount of benzoyl peroxide, after a period of a few weeks, it is equally important that you ramp up to the full dosage. When in doubt, use more BP at this point. This is absolutely critical to the success of the Regimen.

Not being gentle enough: When you apply the BP it should take several minutes. This requires patience. Make sure to go slowly and let the BP glide over your skin. Try to be patient and let it absorb on its own without forcing it.

Not using the right products for the job: The Regimen does not work with 10% BP, moisturizers or sunscreens that contain comedogenic oils, exfoliating cleansers that can irritate, or irritating shavers. For best results use the recommended products.

Adding in other products or steps: It is important that you wait until you are completely clear before adding in other products or steps to the Regimen. After you are completely clear, it is safe to add in one variable at a time and see how your skin will react.

Removing Regimen steps: The Regimen works as outlined, so it is important that you not skip any of the steps. Cleanse, apply BP and moisturize twice daily, every day.

The main point I am trying to get across is that the Regimen will work best when followed closely. I have personally coached a lot of people through the Regimen and have noticed that when followed precisely, the Regimen works for just about everybody. But even when people think they are following the Regimen, they often are not. It is worth your while to print out the Regimen checklist and take it into the bathroom with you. It is also a good idea to watch the videos several times before embarking on the Regimen. This will save you a lot of time down the road. Although the temptation to develop your own regimen from the get go is strong, try to trust the Regimen until you are completely clear. Then you can change one variable at a time to your own specifications and see what happens.

OK, thank you.