Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gotta GT This

Accutane/Amnesteem Log

So I guess a brief introduction is in order. I'm 24 and have been struggling with acne since I was approximately 17...at least that's when it got really bad. My parents finally took me to a dermatologist to try to get the problem under control. He started me off on a regimen with a 10% benzoyl peroxide wash twice a day.

...needless to say, it completely dried my skin out to the point where I couldn't even touch it. It was rough, red, and scaly looking. I was mortified having to go to school looking like that. So we went and saw a different dermatologist who prescribed me differin gel along with tetracycline. But the results were mediocre at best, so with all other options exhausted she put me on Accutane.

It worked like a charm.

Three months on that and I had the most amazing skin. Not a single pimple or anything. And my skin stayed that way for the past 5 years or so. Every so often I might have had another one pop up, but it was normally short-lived and went away fairly quickly. Unfortunately over the past year, I've been on a steady decline and have once again hit rock bottom. Anyway, to cut to the point I'm back on Accutane for a second cycle (and hopefully the last) to see if I can beat this thing. So I'll be on here to track my progress and hopefully get some much-needed support.

Day 17

Okay, so I'm not exactly starting from Day 1, but that's because I just found out about this place. Anyway. My face is pretty ridiculous at this point. I know they say the first month is the worst one, but I feel like I'm 17 again staring in the mirror at all these pimples. There's at least 15 in varying sizes all over my face... well, except my forehead and nose which are remarkably acne-free. So weird how some parts of your face break out and others just don't. There's only one white-head, though. Whether that's good or bad is anybody's guess.

The corner's of my mouth are finally starting to heal up. For awhile there they were extremely cracked and dry along with my chin which is also getting better. That's a relief. I've noticed some older acne spots fading away ever so slightly. Again, another plus. So there's definite improvement and definite unimprovement. Just gotta roll with the punches, right?

What really sucks is I've got a date tonight... so I'm hesitating on whether to cancel or not. I feel so bad, because the person is super-duper nice but hasn't really seen me much since I've started my cycle. I've mostly kept our contact on a textual basis. Not sure how to explain my face, ha ha! Or whether I should even have to explain it. Good ol' Marilyn said it best:

"If you can't handle me at my worst, then you don't deserve me at my best."

Truer words never spoken. Well, I guess that's all for now. I hope this wasn't too long or boring... future updates should be more reasonable in length. Anyway, thanks for reading!

Hello~ welcome to the site. I hope that your date goes well. If he has a problem with your acne. kick him to the curb. :)

Hello~ welcome to the site. I hope that your date goes well. If he has a problem with your acne. kick him to the curb. :)

Ha! So true. Thankfully the date went really well and my face wasn't a major issue. Thanks for the welcome! :)

Day 18

Ok, so I'm probably not going to be doing daily entries unless there's some sort of monumental difference that's worth posting. I figure at the end of every week should be good enough, right? Anyway onto today's facial update.

Meh...

Well it's sort of better? Ish? I dunno it's so hard to tell. The skin around my chin and upper lip is SUPER dry and peeling/flaking. Ugh. I think I'm going to have to start bringing moisturizer to work and applying it as the day progresses or something. Anyone have a good recommendation for a moisturizer that is acne-friendly?

Aside from that, no white-heads to speak of which is good I guess. Some of the old ones have started to shrink in size, but a few new ones have popped up (albeit they're smaller... Yay?) in their place. The large, painful ones have also gotten smaller and don't hurt so much when I wash my face. My forehead and nose remain clear... now if only that could work its way to the rest of my face. Ha ha!

Overall still a long way to go, but every day is one step closer. Oh! And I never posted my regimen/schedule, so here's that for anyone curious as to what I'm on:

Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday: 40 mg

Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 80 mg

Does anyone know whether it matters if I take the 80 mg all at once in the morning or if I should break it up to once in the morning and once in the evening? It's easier to take it all at once so I don't risk missing a dose, ha ha. But I don't know if that's risky to do or not. Thanks!

Edited by Gotta GT This

Hi there!

Welcome to acne.org!

Regarding your question, I am currently taking 80 mg everyday. Take one pill in the morning, and one pill in the evening. I take mine at every 8:00. Trust me, you wont forget!! your going to be so into your treatment, theres no way you can forget!!

Best of luck!

Dont forget to post some pics!

Hi there!

Welcome to acne.org!

Regarding your question, I am currently taking 80 mg everyday. Take one pill in the morning, and one pill in the evening. I take mine at every 8:00. Trust me, you wont forget!! your going to be so into your treatment, theres no way you can forget!!

Best of luck!

Dont forget to post some pics!

Thanks! I figured that was probably the best solution, but wanted a second opinion since my dermatologist gave me no direction on those days when I take 2 pills, ha ha. I'm hesitant to post pictures because I'm just so ashamed of how things look, you know? Once it starts looking a little better I'll probably be more comfortable putting up a picture or two. Thanks again for the support! :)

Thanks for the comment on my log. Will be interesting to read yours as our situation is very similar, good luck :)

Thanks for the comment on my log. Will be interesting to read yours as our situation is very similar, good luck :)

Thanks! Yeah, I was noticing that as I was reading yours how similar our situations were, ha ha. It's nice to know you're not alone. Know what I mean? Anyway, here's to having clear skin at the end of all this! *cheers*

Day 19

Well things remain pretty much the same today. That white-head from yesterday is gone, but I've got a new one right on my jawline to replace it. Honestly, it feels like an even trade-off at this point. Ha ha! I'll lose one or two and get others to replace them elsewhere on my face. Not to mention I've got a rather painful cyst on my neck of all places now. WTF. Not too crazy about that at the moment... hopefully it goes away fairly quickly.

Oh and I think a small one is on the horizon on my forehead. Grr! And it was doing so well, too. I think I must have jinxed myself or something. Like I said though, it's small so I don't foresee it hanging around for too long. At least I hope not. *crosses fingers*

Chin is still REALLY dry, though. Agh! What do you guys use for moisturizers? Apparently mine just isn't cutting it. I've got tomorrow off from work, which would be a nice way of avoiding the public eye... but I desperately need more moisturizer for my face since I'm practically out. Ugh. Oh well. Maybe I'll just wear a bag over my head when I go out. LOL.

Heya! All the best! Do you know how long your course will be? By the look of your dosage, you'll be done in no time! Just think of that!

I find Aveeno products work really nicely, gentle and moisturising.

And, what you quoted in your first post "If you can't handle me at my worst, then you don't deserve me at my best." nothing could be more true. I struggled with these sentiments for ages with my boyfriend, but now I'm glad I can say he deserves me ;)

Edited by jasmine.d

Our stories do sound awfully similar. I will be keeping up with this blog, that is for sure! Good luck with everything and keep us updated :D

Aww, thanks you guys! I'm so glad I joined this place. There's definitely a lot of support here that I just don't get from anyone in real life, because they don't know what it's like to have to go through this mess. On to today's update!

Day 20

Well, like I said yesterday, I had today off from work and needed to go pick up some more moisturizer for my incredibly dehydrated face. So I got in the car and went to Target. Ugh. I swear everyone and their mother must have been in that aisle! It made it hard to look at all of them, plus I was worried they were all staring at my face... so I panicked and I just grabbed the same moisturizer I've been using. I figure I'll just take it with me and apply it throughout the day as needed. Thanks to time_traveler and jasmine.d for the recommendations! I'll have to try those next time.

As far as my face goes, it's certainly a lot less red now. I also seem to be past the intial horrid IB phase of things... I hope. No new pimples to report today and the ones I did have appear to have either stayed relatively the same or shrunk. Red marks also look like they're fading a teeny bit more. Let's just hope it gets better and better from here on out.

Oh! And my dermatologist said I'll probably be on it for 4-5 months, jasmine. Almost through the first month already, so 3-4 to go! Woohoo! :)

Wahoo!! you'll be done in no time! this year has been flying past, kind of scary cause I don't want to be getting older, but great when it comes to things like this.

do you know what i find uncomfortable like your aisle experience? its being on a busy bus, or similar kind of situation, and being really close to people. makes me feel so anxious every time i see eyes scan my face, no one except a special few should be that close.

hope the dryness eases! maybe more water intake and really slather that moisturiser on before bed?

Edited by jasmine.d

Day 21

So it's the end of my 3rd week already and... ugh. I'm not thrilled. That one pimple on my forehead seems to have gotten bigger as has the cyst on my neck. Actually, my neck in general is just breaking out which is so weird since it hasn't been much of an issue since I started. What gives?! My chin literally was so dry it cracked and split open. Lovely.

I'm hard-pressed to find anything good to say about my face today. I did take my moisturizer to work and snuck away to the bathroom once to reapply throughout the day. It seemed to help a little, so I'll just go with that for now. Thankfully no major social engagements until the first weekend in June when my sister flies in to visit. I'm hoping things will be a little better by then since I promised her we'd go bar/club hopping.

...honestly, I'm kinda dreading it. If my face is a mess there's not way I'm going to want to go out and be seen. Where's a fast-forward button when you need one? I'd love to jump 3 months into the future right about now.

*sigh*

Well maybe things will be better tomorrow. I can only hope.

Day 21

So it's the end of my 3rd week already and... ugh. I'm not thrilled. That one pimple on my forehead seems to have gotten bigger as has the cyst on my neck. Actually, my neck in general is just breaking out which is so weird since it hasn't been much of an issue since I started. What gives?! My chin literally was so dry it cracked and split open. Lovely.

I'm hard-pressed to find anything good to say about my face today. I did take my moisturizer to work and snuck away to the bathroom once to reapply throughout the day. It seemed to help a little, so I'll just go with that for now. Thankfully no major social engagements until the first weekend in June when my sister flies in to visit. I'm hoping things will be a little better by then since I promised her we'd go bar/club hopping.

...honestly, I'm kinda dreading it. If my face is a mess there's not way I'm going to want to go out and be seen. Where's a fast-forward button when you need one? I'd love to jump 3 months into the future right about now.

*sigh*

Well maybe things will be better tomorrow. I can only hope.

Dont worry it will all get better, I remember my face looked horrid the first 3 weeks ( although I still look horrid without acne lol ) but it will all turn for the best.

Uggh. I hear you about the breakouts on the neck. I never broke out there before , but the IB definitely seems to have brought them out. Hope everything clears up before your big bar hopping weekend!

Day 24

So it's been a few days since my last update. Work was complete hell at the end of last week, but since it's Memorial Day weekend I have today and tomorrow off. I went to my friend's condo in Fashion Valley today to lay out by her pool. It was SO nice... and not many people were around. Don't worry; I coated myself with SPF to make sure I didn't burn. Ha ha!

Skin update: The obnoxious pimple on my forehead is finally starting to subside a little. It's still fairly prominent, but definitely on its way out the door. My neck breakouts are also starting to get better as well, though that one cyst beneath my skin is hanging on for dear life it seems. I think when I go in on Friday for my appointment I'll see if I can get it injected if it's still hanging around.

My chin area has definitely improved in terms of it not being all dry and cracked, though the skin is peeling like crazy. I've also noticed a small cluster of bumps on both my cheeks (maybe 2-3 on each) that are present. They aren't red or breaking the surface...just small bumps. Overall I've only got like 2 actives on my face: one on the jawline and one on my cheek. Everything else appears to already be dried up or in the process of doing so. Now if only the marks would fade as fast.

Sister gets into town this coming weekend, so here's hoping my face at least stays the way it is or improves! *crosses fingers*

hello Gotta GT This.

reading your past posts have really made me smile, as u sound just like me!

im on day 16 and am really struggling with the big red sore spots. had to use alot of ice and ibruphen yesterday.managed to wangle another day off work (i just cant be seen in public right now) i got up this morning and have such a sore spot on my freaking neck. i totaly know what u mean when you just get rid of one spot, for it to then be replaced with another!!!

i really hope this works this time as im on my second course also.

do u wear make up when out?

my chin is also really dry, and around my nose, flake flake flake! yummy

i am using aveeno on my body, and need to get an aveeno moisturiser specially for my face. i

i use carmex for my lips.

well i hope things are still improving for u and ur sister sees an improvement!