Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brisk

Noobs needing some advice...

Hey,

So I believe this is my first time posting.

But my situation is I have had acne for about 4 years.

Mild now.

My derm said I don't look so bad with the occasional breakouts but if I want no more breakouts and clear my skin, try accutane...since I tried almost every topical and antibiotic there is with no luck.

So I was wondering, if you guys think that accutane is worth it for mild acne?

It seems like most people are taking accutane for moderate to severe acne due to the side effects.

Please help! Thanks in advance!

bad much does acne effect your life. If so it's worth it, if not no.

your the judge.

i would stay away from accutane. There are so many more safer ways to control acne. If i knew this 15 years ago, i wouldnt have all these scars on my face.

Thanks for the replies.

This is so hard to choose.

I want this acne to be gone, and the dr. said accutane is the only thing that is left for me that I didn't try.

But the side effects...hmmm

Accutane causes scaring?

I heard about hair thinning and loss, but when i asked my doctor and other doctors, they said they never heard of anyone experience hair thinning/loss...is that true?

Thanks in advance again!

I had a bad initial breakout for almost one month prior to becoming to clear from accutane. That breakout has caused me scars that i still have today which is 12 years later. Also for me i became very depressed and wanted to kill myself, much later on, i heard on the news accutane can make you have suicidal thoughts. But still to this day, im not sure if it was the accutane that was making me feel suicidal or whether it was because my face was so bad from the inital breakout. I do recall my hair becoming slight thinner but right now its ok. Although i did become clear at the end of the accutane treatment, my acne came back with a vengence right after.

Thanks for your reply.

Yea I recall that my dr say that 60% of times after accutane, acne won't return.

Meaning 40% it will come back...

I guess I have to think about it a bit more.

Is your acne gone now? After 12 years?

i get a pimple if i eat something wrong otherwise im clear. For me, diet was the problem.

Milk, cheese, peanut butter, orange juice made me break out terribly. I treat these as poison to me and avoid it at all cost. good luck

Hey,

So I believe this is my first time posting.

But my situation is I have had acne for about 4 years.

Mild now.

My derm said I don't look so bad with the occasional breakouts but if I want no more breakouts and clear my skin, try accutane...since I tried almost every topical and antibiotic there is with no luck.

So I was wondering, if you guys think that accutane is worth it for mild acne?

It seems like most people are taking accutane for moderate to severe acne due to the side effects.

Please help! Thanks in advance!

I took Accutane years ago, after my doctor told me time and again that diet didn't have anything to do with it. Then he put me on Accutane, and guess what? It came with a big sheet of paper telling me to change my diet. Cut out chocolate, cut out sugar, cut out milk, eat plenty of fruits and veggies. Being on it gave me chapped lips and flaky skin, and if I went off the diet the acne would come right back. My brother blames it for his hair loss. So I would say, skip the Accutane and go directly to a diet change. It's a lot cheaper, and a lot easier.

But over and above cutting out just milk and chocolate, you would do well to google what other foods can cause your breakouts, and it's different for everyone. I thought eating peanut butter was fine, until I found out I shouldn't have hydrogenated oil, which it had as one of its ingredients. So cut that out of your diet for sure, or switch to natural peanut butters or almond butters that don't have this kind of oil.

Other foods that can cause one to breakout are: seafood, white potatoes, bananas, oranges

A good rule of thumb is to look at low glycemic foods, which are foods that take a while for the body to digest so they don't spike your blood sugar and cause breakouts.

But keep in mind that a diet change can take 3+ months to take full effect.

But then, a period of Accutane would take just as long and you'd have to keep to a low fat low sugar diet anyway.