Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KristieRS

Organic Milk, Fake Sugars and Oregon Grape Root

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this, so I thought I'd share some things I've discovered over the years that have worked for me. I don't know if these have been shared in other posts, I haven't had time to read all of them yet. Just thought I'd try to be helpful :D I'm 26 and had acne on and off since I was 13. I get cycstic ance on my cheeks and thats it and it seems to be mostly hormonal so if that sounds like you, these ideas might work for you as well.

Organic Milk - I read a study about boys ages 13-24 drinking milk and it seemed the boys who drank more milk vs boys who drank none had worse acne. So I thought it's either the fat or the hormones. So I started drinking organic milk and within a week I saw an improvement, a notiveable improvement. Then after about 7 months, I tried a gallon of regular milk...acne. At least 3 bumps. I'm pretty sure if you have hormone related acne, if you switch to organic dairy, you will see a pretty good improvement.

Aspratame - This one I just kinda figured out on my own. I don't drink diet sodas ever, but I had gained a few during some time on unemployment so I started drinking diet Dr. Pepper. The next day, I broke out. I finished the 12 pack of soda, the acne was more inflamed. I stopped, they went away. I tried this every few months when my skin was clear, and I would break out with 12 hours of drinking it. Don't know if this is with everyone, but I cut all of it out of my diet. Good alternative is stevia or agave.

Oregon Grape Root Extract - A lot of acne also comes from an inbalance of good bacteria vs. bad bacteria in the intestines. Most of you probably already know this. You probably have other issues; acid reflux, IBS, etc. Well I use Oregon Grape Root and Dandelion Root extracts. These make your liver produce more bile and increase the good bacteria. There are a few other extracts that do the same thing, but I can't remember what they are. I'll try to find them. Anyway, I have not had any regular pimples (whiteheads) since I started using these. NONE. My digestion is also a million times better.

So if these are already posted I'm sorry, but I hope it helps at least one person. :)

I've had diet sodas (not often) and they have never affected my skin. Your probably experiencing more of a reaction to the caffeine than you are the aspartame. Also, agave isn't really all that healthy, in my opinion. It's not too far different from HFCS. It's basically just high fructose cactus syrup instead.

Any dairy breaks me out, organic or not.

I'd rather not supplement myself to death. I've tried so many supplements and I think I'd much prefer to stick to diet. But I've seen people have good results with supplements and if they work for you, then hey, more power to you.

Edited by gMARIAs

Nah, I drink a ton of green tea and coffee, never had a problem. Plus it would iritate me in other products such as fat free yogurt, so I cut it out of eerythin and my skin isn't as red and inflammed. I almost never have to use agave or stevia as I don't drink it in coffee or tea and I don't bake. I was just giving an alternative. That sucks dairy breaks you out, must be the fat maybe?

I don't like to take a ton of horse pills either. Actually those 2 are all I take on a daily basis and they're extracts, so you just have to swallow a few drops of each.

Organic Milk - I read a study about boys ages 13-24 drinking milk and it seemed the boys who drank more milk vs boys who drank none had worse acne. So I thought it's either the fat or the hormones.

And yet, that conclusion is close to the opposite of what the study actually found!

2005 High school dietary dairy intake and teenage acne.

Attempting to correlate milk consumption with physician-diagnosed severe acne. Compares only extremes of milk consumption. Association found with skim milk and total milk consumption not with whole milk consumption.

2006 Milk consumption and acne in adolescent girls.

Teenage girls, again comparing only extremes (highest milk consumption compared to lowest). This time, acne severity was assessed by questionnaire (self-reporting). Positive association found in all three categories.

2008 Milk consumption and acne in teenaged boys.

Still relying on self-reporting, but this was a cohort study, so participants were questioned multiple times over years, rather than relying on them to remember years of past history. Positive association found only for skim milk not for total milk consumption, whole milk consumption, or 1% milk consumption).

There is no logical implication in this data that organic milk is better than any other kind (indeed, the most detailed biochemical rationale involves a hormone that is present in organic milk -- and of course most stores these days stock milk from cows that received no BST). All cow milk is rife with hormones (you're drinking fluids from a cow, for heaven's sake!), the only debate is what can survive pasteurization (hence the absurdity that people don't want milk with "hormones" while simultaneously thinking unpasteurized is "better") and actually get past the rigors of the digestive system to survive into the human bloodstream.

If the current data on milk drinking and acne in adolescents suggests anything, it's that skim milk is a bad bet. Drink whole milk if you must imbibe cow fluids.

If the current data on milk drinking and acne in adolescents suggests anything, it's that skim milk is a bad bet. Drink whole milk if you must imbibe cow fluids.

Yes I've seen these exact studies you've quoted and the funny thing is, that's exactly what I drink. 1%. Like I said before, this is what works for me. If I don't drink organic milk, I break out. If I do drink organic milk, no acne. So for me its not rocket science. Its like saying "when I do this, it hurts." So don't do it. That simple. I have purley hormonal adult acne, and I have it 99% under control for the past 2 years, and these are the things I do to keep that way. I've had maybe 3 pimples in the past 2 years so I'm doing something right.

I think the biggest problem with milk, organic or not, lies in the hormones more so than the fat. That and store bought milk is pasteurized which can alter it somewhat and remove a lot of nutrients that raw milk contains. Dairy breaks a TON of people out, not just me. Most people here have seen at least a little improvement when they stop consuming it.

Like I said, I definitely wouldn't recommend agave as a sweetener ever. It truly isn't much different than HFCS. It's mostly fructose. You'd be better off with plain ol' sugar.

And the supplement thing - I'm mostly just lazy. I always forgot to take them when I did. I do need to start taking fish oil, though. It's just difficult finding a good brand that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Edited by gMARIAs

And the supplement thing - I'm mostly just lazy. I always forgot to take them when I did. I do need to start taking fish oil, though. It's just difficult finding a good brand that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

http://supplementdirect.com/entericcoatedfishoil100sft.aspx

Optimum nutrition is pretty reputable and they're stuff is dirt cheap online. Probably the best balance of price / quality that I've found.

I know, I have yet to find a fish oil that doesn't have other crap in it. And I'm so terrible at taking supplements. With these extracts it says to take 3 times a day. Who does that? I end up taking maybe once.

Have you ever heard of the study they did on Eskimos? I guess Eskimos have bad acne, and it relates to the whale blubber and fish they eat, which contains a lot of vitamin A. I don't remember the whole story, something about vitamin A and being like accutane. I'll try to find it.