Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dscoop

When do you know if you've got teenage acne, or adult acne?

As the title says, When do you know if you've got teenage acne, or adult acne and how can you tell?

Edited by dscoop

You would have to define adult acne, is part of the problem. Almost half of adults have an acne lesion in the civilized world on a given day. Adult acne and rosacea have been referred to as a "worldwide epidemic".

So, if you define adult acne as, say, having one or more lesions per week, then probably the primary predictor is just living in the civilized world.

What little research I know of to attempt to find predictive factors for clinically significant (i.e., bad enough you're going to go to the doctor) adult acne had obvious flaws. For example, this study, tried to see if having first-degree relatives with adult acne was more likely for people with adult acne. It was. It then hopefully extrapolates that to potential genetic causes. That extrapolation has little basis until a biochemical mechanism for acne is proved (currently the cause of acne is unknown, so sez the NIH). Although relatives may share some genes, they also share lots of environment. If none of your relatives ever ate fried okra or worked in a coal mine or had outdoor jobs, then odds go up significantly that you never did any of those things either.

One recurrent issue is that when a disease is a "worldwide epidemic", it's hard to have a control group. For example, one study showed no particular correlation between hours of sleep and acne severity. However, if you looked at the actual data, the average patient got less than 6 hours sleep, and few got more than 7 -- so it was like studying professional basketball players and concluding that hours of competition don't correlate with knee pain. If everybody's got knee pain, your sample is too skewed to start with to tease out any correlatives.

They're both the same type of acne, just occur in different age groups. My acne stayed pretty much the same from adolescence to adulthood.

So that means someone with teenage acne, will not get adult acne?

Not necessarily. People can get acne as teenagers (or even as pre-teens), and for some people, after puberty, it clears up. For others, their acne continues into their adult lives. And some people don't break out until they're adults.

I'd say that if you're in your mid-twenties or older and have acne on a pretty regular basis (regardless of whether or not you had it as a teenager), it's safe to consider it 'adult acne'.

Uhm, if you have acne whilst a teenager then it's teenage acne. If you have it in adulthood then it's adult acne. So in a nutshell it goes by age.

However...according to the website adult acne is when you are 25 years of age and over and you cease being a teen when you hit 20. So perhaps there should be a name for acne that hits between ages 20 and 25, lol!

Anyway, whether teen acne or adult acne, it's all caused by over production of the oil glands and clogged pores, so I don't think treatment is any different once you find something that works for you.

I never had acne as a teen but my face is breaking up some at the moment, I am 31. tried to change my diet but it helped slightly. Then I was diagnosed with something caused by hormonal imbalance and that's when I realized my acne too is probably due to the imbalance.

I'm going through this website and will formulate a plan based on reviews, on the way to go. I hate the bumps!!! Back in 2008 I was not pleased about my face but when I look at pics taken then, I could kill to have it that way :D

Will start a blog once I decide what route to take. One's quite drastic and I am still contemplating!!!

Uhm, if you have acne whilst a teenager then it's teenage acne. If you have it in adulthood then it's adult acne. So in a nutshell it goes by age.

However...according to the website adult acne is when you are 25 years of age and over and you cease being a teen when you hit 20. So perhaps there should be a name for acne that hits between ages 20 and 25, lol!

Anyway, whether teen acne or adult acne, it's all caused by over production of the oil glands and clogged pores, so I don't think treatment is any different once you find something that works for you.

I never had acne as a teen but my face is breaking up some at the moment, I am 31. tried to change my diet but it helped slightly. Then I was diagnosed with something caused by hormonal imbalance and that's when I realized my acne too is probably due to the imbalance.

I'm going through this website and will formulate a plan based on reviews, on the way to go. I hate the bumps!!! Back in 2008 I was not pleased about my face but when I look at pics taken then, I could kill to have it that way :D

Will start a blog once I decide what route to take. One's quite drastic and I am still contemplating!!!

To be honest, in my views it's hormanl based fully.