Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mx123

The reason I don't let anyone see me without makeup

One of my housemates just came into my room while I was getting ready, before I had put my makeup on.

First thing she says is "Why is your face so red? Did you get sunburn?"

FML.

My standard response to that same situation, that has happened to me time after time: "Good brain, big heart, bad skin, go figure!" And then everyone smiles and it's all okay. Hang in there :)

... it's like paper/rock/scissors ... you have to convince yourself that good brain and big heart trump bad skin every time ... eventually "bad skin" becomes "oh well, no big deal!" :)

For years I wouldn't walk around my own house without any makeup on. I live in an extended family household. Parents, brother, aunt, uncle, cousins... so I was just embarrassed to be seen with nasty skin.

But now I'm older, and I've learned to just be comfortable AT LEAST around my own house. It took some time though, and I had to get used to my mom pointing out that my skin is so red. I just learned to speak about it openly, and now they all understand my problem and have been really supportive.

I still don't leave the house without makeup (except on very rare occasions), but I feel really liberated that I can be in the comfort of my own home and not feel so self-conscious.

Is it really THAT bad to look sunburnt? I mean people actually DO get sunburnt and it's not like a horrible thing...at least I don't think so.

Is it really THAT bad to look sunburnt? I mean people actually DO get sunburnt and it's not like a horrible thing...at least I don't think so.

It's not that bad I guess, I mean I wouldn't look at someone with sunburn and think "OMG, that's so bad!" or anything. But when people get sunburnt it's only temporary, whereas my facial redness has been constant for the last 3 years (since I finished accutane), so it's not really the same.

Edited by mx123

It took me three out of the four years to be comfortable without wearing makeup around my parents.

My best advice is to gradually slow down with the makeup, and let her know about your skin. She won't care, I promise. I will be rooming with my best friend this summer, and when I told her, it was like it didn't even make a difference. She still saw me as the way I am.

It does take time, so definitely be aware... but don't feel the need to HAVE to wear makeup around people you see on a daily basis while in the comfort of your own place. You shouldn't be tied down like that.

It's just something I feel really uncomfortable about, even with my closest friends I don't feel comfortable enough to be around them without makeup on. It's something I always worry about when going on holiday, staying at peoples houses etc. But yeh I guess it would be good if I could build up the confidence to at least be comfortable enough to be in my own home without makeup on.

Also it's kind of odd to think that I always see the girls I live with without makeup on, yet they never see me without mine (and I'm a guy). I'm messed up.

Edited by mx123

Take baby steps and build your confidence (= that's what I'm trying to do and its helping a bit. My close friend last week saw me without makeup when she came for a sleepover, and I'm uncomfortable about it too, but I just didn't want to sleep without. We talked about back acne and we found out that we both have it as bad as each other lol. We were pretty happy we got it out =). I think we both feel closer now. It'll be hard to let it go but you can do it, taking little steps is better than not moving anywhere at all.

We Make Up to Shut Up their rotten fkin mouth isnt it?

Doing great deed to help them save up their saliva for themselve since they arent any better anyway.

Take baby steps and build your confidence (= that's what I'm trying to do and its helping a bit. My close friend last week saw me without makeup when she came for a sleepover, and I'm uncomfortable about it too, but I just didn't want to sleep without. We talked about back acne and we found out that we both have it as bad as each other lol. We were pretty happy we got it out =). I think we both feel closer now. It'll be hard to let it go but you can do it, taking little steps is better than not moving anywhere at all.

This is a very good point; build up your confidence in small steps.

I'm glad though that the makeup gives you some confidence! (both to mx and Holding.On)

This is a very good point; build up your confidence in small steps.

I'm glad though that the makeup gives you some confidence! (both to mx and Holding.On)

It's kind of sad that I need to hide behind it, but whatever, if it makes me feel more confident who cares?

Edited by mx123

This is kinda sad but applying on make up everyday makes me feel like a normal person.

Being fresh faced makes me look like I'm not even human.

I have the most degrading thoughts to myself when I see how gross my skin looks, but I can't help it.

I could only imagine what other people think about me...

This is kinda sad but applying on make up everyday makes me feel like a normal person.

Being fresh faced makes me look like I'm not even human.

I have the most degrading thoughts to myself when I see how gross my skin looks, but I can't help it.

I could only imagine what other people think about me...

I usually don't wear makeup. I didn't wear makeup often when my acne was bad, either. If people want to stare, let them!

I have to admit though that when I DO wear makeup, I feel attractive then. But that's not a crutch. You brush your hair and teeth in the morning, choose nice clothes to wear, and put on makeup. All it does is help you present your best face to the world, it's not a crutch.

Actually, I'm the opposite to you, mx123. I absolutely cannot stand caking my face with foundation, even on days where my skin looks its worst. I've got combination skin, and no matter how much I moisturise on my dry places before putting on foundation, my face ends up looking like a peeling lizard's hide lol.

As for your problem, I also suggest that you slowly wean yourself off of your makeup around your close friends. For example, start with applying a very light foundation over your spots and eventually stop it altogether. It's better not to be too dependent on your makeup to make yourself feel confident, espeically around your close friends, who shouldn't give a rat's a** about how you look around them.

Whenever i go without make-up my mom seems to think it's the best time to start talking about my acne.

i hate that!!! Gahhh.

I walk into the room with no expectations to ever talk about my face (normally unless it's my derm apt. day)

but when I go without make-up it's all anyone can talk about, guess it's just that bad..

only thing she can talk about when I'm not wearing make-up is my acne it seems like.

I hate it when she gets concerned. makes me feel even more self-conscious.

she's never there for me when I'm actually down about it.

make-up should have NEVER been invented.

Actually, I'm the opposite to you, mx123. I absolutely cannot stand caking my face with foundation, even on days where my skin looks its worst. I've got combination skin, and no matter how much I moisturise on my dry places before putting on foundation, my face ends up looking like a peeling lizard's hide lol.

my skins just like that.

it looks a lot healthier without make-up

but i'm not confident enough to go without it, so my face will just have to look un-even and oily/dry at the same time >:'X

I've got combination skin, and no matter how much I moisturise on my dry places before putting on foundation, my face ends up looking like a peeling lizard's hide lol.

I actually have that problem too, I just try and minimise it as best I can. I figure although my makeup application doesn't look perfect and exaggerates areas where my skin is dry, I still look a lot better with it than I do without.