Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

about me: 22 year old female 5 ft 105 lbs with blonde hair and blue eyes : ) just graduated from college with a BA is Special Education...hoping my skin will be clear for some job interviews! Diagnosed with depression and anxiety during high school and was taking medication for some time but for 3 years now I have been stable WITHOUT being on medication. Big accomplishment : ) Will be looking for any signs of depression/anxiety symptoms worsening while on accutane. I have been using the Nuvaring (since October) as birth control and have been pretty happy with it.

about my skin: unfortunately acne runs in the family : ( started getting acne when i was 13....went to a few dermatologists then and got no results from all the topicals (Duac, Clindamycin etc) they perscribed. Since then my skin has calmed down a lot...mostly because I stopped caking on make-up. My skin currently consists of a lot of little bumps underneath the skin- some of which turn into massive painful cysts that take forever to get rid of! Unfortunately I poke at them and try to drain them and end up just scarring my skin. Bad habit I need to get rid of. So now I have some red blotches along with some scarred uneven looking skin. My pores are huge on my forehead and on my cheeks. Blackheads are all over my nose but I just play it off like they are freckles lol. My skin goes super cyst crazy the week before i start my menstrual cycle but then calms down again during it. There are little to some pimples on my shoulders, upper back, and chest (those are the least of my worries unless its the summer season). I currently use Physicians Formula Concealer to cover up spots. I recommend this product to anyone.

P.S. Tanning makes my skin look better!!! If I start to feel extremely down about how my skin looks, I take a quick trip to the tanning salon and within the next 2 days I feel like my skin looks somewhat better. I don't do it a lot....but if i have a special occasion coming up and my skin looks horrible- that's where i go.

Anyway, I recently got fed up with all the over-the-counter things I've been trying (Clean&Clear, Proactive, Murad etc) and decided to go back to the dermatologist who basically said "you've tried everything already....i suggest you go on accutane"

I've been reading a lot of the journals on acne.org and seeing all the success stories has given me the confidence to go for it!

#1 I want to get rid of all the little bumps.

#2 I want to get rid of the huge painful cystic pimples.

#3 I want to have smooth, even-toned skin.

#4 I want to be able to have conversations with people without worrying about them staring at my acne. CONFIDENCE.

June 3rd- 1st round of bloodwork

June 9th- 2nd pregnancy test, get prescription for Claravis

I am excited to start!! :D

Some Pictures:

It's hard to see just how bad my acne is because a lot of the pimples are small and far underneath the skin so they are hard to see in pictures....unless I poke at them and make them angry to the point where they start to look red. Random cysts can be seen sometimes. If I just leave it alone my skin will look somewhat semi-normal in pics. with no make up on you can see some of the red discoloration.

post-129277-1274480691_thumb.jpg

post-129277-1274480698_thumb.jpg

post-129277-1274480691_thumb.jpg

post-129277-1274480698_thumb.jpg

Edited by becauseofashley

Hi Ashley!

I also started today, and I have also been diagnosed with anxiety. Keep us posted. If you want to contact me since we're in the same situation, send me a msg here ^^

GOOD LUCK GIRL!

best of luck! i'll be looking out for updates!

once you start it goes by really fast, you'll be clear in no time :D

I also started today, and I have also been diagnosed with anxiety. Keep us posted. If you want to contact me since we're in the same situation, send me a msg here ^^

Thanks! Its so comforting knowing other people are in the same situation and are willing to talk about it.

I will try to make frequent updates : )

This wait is going to feel so long!

Hey good luck with it! I've been on 80mg a day for a few months now (which is a fairly large dose) and haven't noticed any problems related to depression/anxiety. If anything I have been feeling far more upbeat out of knowing I am working towards the goal of clearer skin. I feel better now while on accutane then I have in years. Just try not to think about it. The more you think and worry like "Hmm I may get depressed" the more likeliness you will be at risk of feeling that way. It's like a placebo effect; you'l start to see something that isn't there. What I mean is give yourself a chance by clearing your mind before you take that first pill. That way your mind will be in the best possible condition pre-accutane; and being on accutane will be a lot more enjoyable (Wait, accutane enjoyable? is that even possible?).

Aside from no depression; the only real side-effect i've had is the common dry-lips which will start roughly a week after you start taking the pills. And believe me the dry lips are awful.. Every morning I wake up I'm reminded of them.. :[ And you're going to not want to have lips anymore believe me haha; but it's something you'l just have to deal with for the months you're on accutane.

You visited my profile so I figured I would stop by and give you some inspiration. With a little perseverance, patience, and an upbeat attitude towards clearing up your skin; I know you will definitely achieve the results you are seeking through accutane. I think you look great now; and considering that, just imagine what accutane can do to even further your self-confidence in the future.

Whoa sorry for the essay there.

Edited by Jxr

The more you think and worry like "Hmm I may get depressed" the more likeliness you will be at risk of feeling that way. It's like a placebo effect; you'l start to see something that isn't there. What I mean is give yourself a chance by clearing your mind before you take that first pill. That way your mind will be in the best possible condition pre-accutane; and being on accutane will be a lot more enjoyable (Wait, accutane enjoyable? is that even possible?).

That's SO true. I have to admit that I have definately become less worried about depression and more excited about the idea of having clear skin! :)

Thanks for the essay of inspiration- always appreciated! Are you posting a journal too while you're on accutane?

That's SO true. I have to admit that I have definately become less worried about depression and more excited about the idea of having clear skin! :)

Thanks for the essay of inspiration- always appreciated! Are you posting a journal too while you're on accutane?

I still have yet to start an Accutane log yet, however, either I will either be starting one soon; or after I am all finished with it I will do kind've like a "results" final accutane log like before and after etc. Currently, I am undecided!

Up to now I have had very good results; I have very clear skin; never really had acne on my face in the past, just the odd pimple here and there; but it goes with the whole age thing (I'm 21). Just some spots on my neck but its pretty clear now I must say. Almost to the point where I would be able to stop taking accutane but I wouldn't cut it short; going to finish up the entire cycle, another 2.5 months or so to go here! Which will be just in time for my next term at school.

From what I had heard, lots of people were saying to be really patient and many times visible results can take 2+ months to see. However I started to see visible results within about 3-4 weeks of starting accutane. Couple things I think I forgot to mention above.. my scalp got really dry, my hair was like wow dry. And you will actually be able to notice your skin being less oily and more dry by 3 weeks or so after starting. Quite possibly the best part about accutane is you don't have to ever wonder like "How do I know this stuff is really doing what they say it does?" because your lips will quickly give you all the reassurance you need as they will be dry dry dry!

So what are your thoughts/emotions having not started accutane yet? Are you nervous? Excited? Maybe anxious to just get them and take one? When I got the pills I was actually a bit hesitant to start taking them as some of the potential side-effects scared me a bit; but I now have no regrets.

My advice would be to focus less on the potential side-effects, and more so on your goal you have set out to do in clearing your skin. The pursuit of greater self-confidence is what it's all about and you definitely have nothing to be depressed about, but rather a lot more good things to look forward to.

I will keep myself up-to-date on your log here!

Oops another essay ;)

Edited by Jxr

From what I had heard, lots of people were saying to be really patient and many times visible results can take 2+ months to see. However I started to see visible results within about 3-4 weeks of starting accutane. Couple things I think I forgot to mention above.. my scalp got really dry, my hair was like wow dry. And you will actually be able to notice your skin being less oily and more dry by 3 weeks or so after starting. Quite possibly the best part about accutane is you don't have to ever wonder like "How do I know this stuff is really doing what they say it does?" because your lips will quickly give you all the reassurance you need as they will be dry dry dry!

Wow! That's awesome that you were able to see results so quickly :)

...did you use anything to help with the dryness? right now my skin and hair get oily fast anyway so maybe the dryness won't be such a bad change.

So what are your thoughts/emotions having not started accutane yet? Are you nervous? Excited? Maybe anxious to just get them and take one? When I got the pills I was actually a bit hesitant to start taking them as some of the potential side-effects scared me a bit; but I now have no regrets.

I was worried when my dermatologist first suggested it (because of all the potential side effects) but after coming on here and reading everyone's journals...it helped reassure me that it would be worth it in the end.

But right now I have to wait till june 9th to get my prescription (thanks to IPledge) so now I am just excited and anxious to start already! the more i look at my skin every day the more i want to start ASAP! lol

Thanks for taking the time to check up on my log and write some essays ; )

Wow! That's awesome that you were able to see results so quickly :)

...did you use anything to help with the dryness? right now my skin and hair get oily fast anyway so maybe the dryness won't be such a bad change.

I was worried when my dermatologist first suggested it (because of all the potential side effects) but after coming on here and reading everyone's journals...it helped reassure me that it would be worth it in the end.

But right now I have to wait till june 9th to get my prescription (thanks to IPledge) so now I am just excited and anxious to start already! the more i look at my skin every day the more i want to start ASAP! lol

Thanks for taking the time to check up on my log and write some essays ; )

I haven't really been using any face moisturizers, and I tried to go through it without using any lip stuff either.. After about 3 weeks I realized that wasn't going to be possible as my lips were like horrible condition; so I use a lip moisturizer now (and it definitely helps a lot). I guess you could definitely go with facial moisturizer for sure.

I got really worried about the hair loss side effect that a small number of people reported getting (I love my hair!!) so I was pretty worried; when I went to my derm for the first appointment he kind've shrugged off the hair loss side-effect as something to not worry about, and said in the small chance it did happen then it would just come back over time. Since starting on Accutane my hair hasn't changed at all from what it was before I was on it. Aside from my scalp getting dry of course but that's that.

I bet you're anxious to start then! Over here I literally got a prescription for Accutane straight out of my first derm appointment and took my first pill that very evening. All I had to do was go to my Dr for a derm referral, went to derm 2 weeks later; he looked at me went k alright; 80mg. Wrote it down, that was that. I also got a paper to get blood work done as well of course for later. Of course you're a lady though so it makes the process a bit different!

Need not worry though you will get your accutane soon enough right?!

Oh and I think I forgot a slight side-effect that I have.. I am slightly more drowsy in the morning when I wake up, like if I get lets say 8 hours of sleep while on accutane, when I wake up I will feel more drowsy then I would pre-accutane. So sometimes I will try to get an extra hour or 2 of sleep to make up for that extra drowsiness. Rawr its early here!

Another essay for you ! :blink:

Edited by Jxr

I bet you're anxious to start then! Over here I literally got a prescription for Accutane straight out of my first derm appointment and took my first pill that very evening. All I had to do was go to my Dr for a derm referral, went to derm 2 weeks later; he looked at me went k alright; 80mg. Wrote it down, that was that. I also got a paper to get blood work done as well of course for later. Of course you're a lady though so it makes the process a bit different!

sigh...def a lot harder being a lady and all. i went to my derm on may 8th (no need for referral cuz my insurance is awesome like that) and had to get a pregnancy test and said i had to wait another month at which point i would need to have a 2nd negative pregnancy test in order to get the prescription. in the meantime i am getting my bloodwork done june 3rd (5 days before my next appointment with the derm). Not to mention that once I get the prescription I have to go on a website and answer a bunch of questions before my prescription can even be filled and picked up.

It sounds complicated and frustrating...because it is. IPledge = Evil. :mad:

sigh...def a lot harder being a lady and all. i went to my derm on may 8th (no need for referral cuz my insurance is awesome like that) and had to get a pregnancy test and said i had to wait another month at which point I would need to have a 2nd negative pregnancy test in order to get the prescription. in the meantime i am getting my bloodwork done june 3rd (5 days before my next appointment with the derm). Not to mention that once I get the prescription I have to go on a website and answer a bunch of questions before my prescription can even be filled and picked up.

It sounds complicated and frustrating...because it is. IPledge = Evil. :mad:

Yeah.. it's so much more of a hassle for you girls. I was all pissed off and anxious to start when I had to wait 2 weeks! I'm a little over a month in now, and have been up and down breakout wise since the start; similar to how I was breaking out before accutane though, same areas and same frequency I would say. I will breakout, spend most of the next week recovering from the breakout and then look pretty decent and then breakout again the following week, it's this same cycle I've been going through for what seems like forever. I'm just really looking forward to my three month mark and by then I won't breakout anymore which will be awesome. Anyway, good luck on your accutane journey! Just wanted to stop in and give some support.

Edited by soundtrack2mylife

Hi, I just started and am on day 7 so I am a newbie to this whole thing. I remember waiting and waiting and once I finally started I was like here we go! Anyway, check out my log so far and I will keep checking yours...I am curious to see what you experience as well. Take care!

Thanks everyone for checking up on my log! Right now I am just playing the waiting game...beginning of june is when i get the bloodwork and prescription for accutane- till then there's really nothing to update! I'll be back soon :whistle:

...can't wait to start! keeping a positve outlook on the future till then :)

UPDATE!

Got my first round of bloodwork done this morning. The lady asked what I was going to be taking and I told her Accutane and that I would be seeing her every month now for the next 6 months! haha

She told me she has seen some amazing results from the people who have been on it. YAY!

And I decided to do some pre-accutane celebrating this weekend...Friday consisted of drinking all night and losing in beer pong. Saturday was spent in NYC to see American Idiot. And Sunday I went to seaside heights (yes, that's the "jersey shore") and got totally sunburnt.

In other words...I'M READY, ACCUTANE. bring. it. on.

went shopping for some accutane necessities:

I am now fully equipped with...

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

Cetaphil Ultra Hydrating Lotion

Aquaphor

I also ordered Emu Oil online but as soon as I hit the "submit order" button the entire webpage closed out and disappeared. Hm...hope the order went through ok.

I also ended up buying Physicians Formula tinted moisturizer. I love anything Physicians Formula makes and I just had to try this because its pretty much sliced bread type of deal. TINTED MOISTURIZER. awesomeness : ) btw it also has spf 50 so I think this will be making making many trips to the beach with me.

This monster on my chin is making me want to start accutane TODAY.

....and can you tell i pick? it needs to stop.

post-129277-1275606083_thumb.jpg

post-129277-1275606105_thumb.jpg

post-129277-1275606083_thumb.jpg

post-129277-1275606105_thumb.jpg

I have the prescription for Amnesteem in my hand! WAH HOOO!!!

my first month I will only be on 10 mg because my bloodwork came back that my AST (??) was high. so i have to get more bloodwork done in 2 weeks just in case but in the meantime she has me on a low dose. next month she wants to up my dose to 40 mg.

see you again on DAY 1 :)

AST = aspartate aminotransferase, its an enzyme found in the heart muscle.

PS : Congrats on getting the RX :)

Edited by Time_traveler

Just saw you log and wanted to wish you good luck. I just started a week ago, 20mgs. Hope all goes well for you :)

Month 1, Day 1:

It's finally here!!!

I ran into a little speed bump- my insurance required my dermatologist to call to get pre-authorization for the prescription and I had told her this ahead of time so it would all be taken care of no problemo...WELLLL....after I dropped off my prescription the pharmacy called me saying that I was NOT pre-authorized. After making LOTS of phone calls I figured out that my dermatologist got me pre-authorized for claravis but had written me a prescription for amnesteem. Luckily everything got sorted out and I was able to pick up my prescription (ended up being claravis) and started it today! :)

I took 10 mg with lunch and 10 mg with dinner.

Hopefully my bloodwork next week will come back with normal AST levels so that she can raise it to 40 mg next month ::fingers crossed::

side effects: NONE! (it's only the first day, silly)

aaaaand here are some pictures...

post-129277-1276555372_thumb.jpg

post-129277-1276555380_thumb.jpg

post-129277-1276555372_thumb.jpg

post-129277-1276555380_thumb.jpg

Hey! Good luck! You posted on my log a few weeks ago, but I see you started today! I was supposed to start today as well but my pharmacy didn't have the right dosage. :( I'll probably be starting tomorrow. Now we'll be even closer to the same schedule. :D

I just started Claravis on June 9th. I had to get pre-auth for my Rx as well and it was a royal pain.

I'm very scarred so I'd definitely recommend doing whatever you can to prevent it. Acne can be hard to treat but scars are even more difficult. Just take a look at the scar treatment forum and you'll see what I mean.

I wish you the best in getting clear ASAP. :)