Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alternativista

Anyone else have rapid Hair and Nail growth?

Anyone else have rapid Hair and Nail growth?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. My hair and nails grow very fast.

• Yes
    • No

I've been meaning to ask this for a very long time since I never see anyone else mention it.

All my hair, wanted or otherwise, grows very fast and very long. With the exception of my eyelashes which are just average. I don't see why I didn't at least get long thick lashes to go with all the rest of the hair. My finger nails are also very thin. And my hair is fine, but I don't know if that has anything to do with the hyperproliferation. Almost everyone in my family has fine hair, but I know I have more of it than say my sister.

Oh and even though I manage to keep my skin mostly clear via diet, I still get keratosis pilaris which is another development of hyperkeratinization/hyperproliferation along with acne.

my hair and nails grow faster than normal because of my msm supplements. When i up the dosage more, it grows super fast.

Hyperproliferation can certainly apply to hair growth - especially since it is ALL of your hair growth. Usually, hyperproliferation can cause weaker cell structures, so again, yes, your thin hair and nails could also be a symptom.

I'm no expert, though. I just remember reading about it in a scientific journal once, and learning about it from an anatomy and physiology course in college.

Alright I just voted no... although I should have asked first - what is considered fast?

I can't really tell how fast my nails grow b/c I bite them (yuck I know) and I would say my hair grows about 1/4 in/month. Leg and underarm hair usually make a noticeable appearance on the 2nd day after shaving.

I just realized that my hair has been growing faster over the past few months.. Abour one inch per month? Not sure if that would be considered average or fast. My nails grow like CRAZY, and are as concrete strong (which I don't mind!)

Edited by smartie

how the hell would we measure this??? what is normal slow or rapid??

I'm sure you can look up normal hair and nail growth in inches or whatever. I know I've heard the numbers. But I'm just comparing to other people. Most women don't have to shave their legs and underarms daily while I can shave in the morning and have 5 o'clock shadow. And despite having very thin nails that break easily and often and rarely do anything care for them, I usually have very long nails unless I cut them. So long, people ask if they are real. Just not all long at the same time because at least one broke.

Also, all my life people have asked me how long it took me to grow my hair which I always thought was an illogical question, but it occurs to me that maybe not everyone can get their hair very long in good health what with the need to trim bad ends all the time. Hence all the hair extensions these days.

And once in junior high, someone noticed my armpit hair and made fun of me. I said I just hadn't shaved in a couple of days but no one believed me since no one else's hair grew like that. And no one else I know needs to pluck unwanted facial hairs on a daily basis.

Hyperproliferation can certainly apply to hair growth - especially since it is ALL of your hair growth. Usually, hyperproliferation can cause weaker cell structures, so again, yes, your thin hair and nails could also be a symptom.

Well, my hair isn't thin, it's fine. But I have read that about nails.

Edited by alternativista

my hair and nails grow faster than normal because of my msm supplements. When i up the dosage more, it grows super fast.

I started taking MSM last summer and I finally just figured out it was the cause of the back acne I had all year. I think it was actually keratosis pilaris, but whatever it was, it's all gone since I quit the MSM.

Edited by alternativista

I started taking MSM last summer and I finally just figured out it was the cause of the back acne I had all year. I think it was actually keratosis pilaris, but whatever it was, it's all gone since I quit the MSM.

hmm, do you know if MSM does anything for hyperkeratinization?

Ive just been thinking, alot of dandruff medicines are sulfur based, and dandruff is a symptom of hyperkeratinization (I think?), so perhaps the reason why MSM is beneficial for some people with acne is because of its effects on keratinization? Do you reckon there is any truth in that or am I just talking crap? Because I have a massive bottle of MSM here but I stopped taking it because I constantly had to get hair cuts, but if its going to do my skin good I might go back on it.

hmm, do you know if MSM does anything for hyperkeratinization?

Ive just been thinking, alot of dandruff medicines are sulfur based, and dandruff is a symptom of hyperkeratinization (I think?), so perhaps the reason why MSM is beneficial for some people with acne is because of its effects on keratinization? Do you reckon there is any truth in that or am I just talking crap? Because I have a massive bottle of MSM here but I stopped taking it because I constantly had to get hair cuts, but if its going to do my skin good I might go back on it.

I think it speeds cell turnover. All I know is that it makes your skin magically soft in just a couple of days which is why people take it. I don't know of anyone saying it helped their acne. Also, I don't believe other forms of sulfur do this. I've been meaning to try NAC instead for a number of reasons that I don't all recall at the moment.